Slingshot Ride Report : 6 weeks in the 'saddle'



Well, it’s been about 7 weeks, 750 miles.   Haven’t had enough seat time, but between the crappy weather,  riding bikes, work, and … life….   I’ve been able get enough time in it to truly formulate an opinion.

This is definitely a ‘first year’ product.   I’m fine with that, but there have been a few issues that folks have had problems and/or whined about.  The Fit / Finish of the SS could be better; there is no doubt about that.   But I’ve said from day one... this isn’t a high end sports car… it’ an adult, street legal, Go-Cart. It’s got a similar fit/finish as the Polaris off Road Vehicles, so I’m not surprised.  We are in the middle of a recall for the steering , and the ‘hoops’ which serve as a roll bar of sorts.   And there is a wire routing issue that is being addressed.  Still, I bought this knowing I was a guinea pig, so no harm no foul as far as I’m concerned.  If fact we are in a 'no drive' mode for the last week.  Parts are supposed to be in at end of this week.  I'll ensure to keep it under 3 digits and off cliff edges until then...

The Aftermarket has jumped in with two feet, with this product.   Turbocharger kits, improved Air Cleaners, Exhaust, short shift kit, brakes, suspension, tires/wheels, stereo retrofits, Upgrade Seats, steering wheels... the list goes on and on.. And it’s been on the market for two months!  Nothing short of amazing!

I’m just now getting used to the attraction this draws going down the road, while getting gas, while parked.  It’s crazy.  When I brought home my Indian Chief Motorcycle in ’09, I wasn’t prepared for the attention it got.  This is 5x fold… it’s been crazy.  It literally stops traffic.  A friend of mine, local Police Officer, even called to bust my b@lls because of the traffic nightmare it caused last month!  I remember it well; I was at the Barber Shop in town parked it near the Intersection... and chaos ensued from the moment I left it, until I left with it….

The handling on this vehicle is nothing short of… superb.   If I was a ‘trained’ driver, I could push this to some crazy limits.  I suppose then I’d have the experience to expose some its shortfalls.  But for me, at my driving level…..  It’s more than I could ask for.  I can light the rear tire up through 1st, 2nd, and well into 3rd gear…..  Sliding around at 5k RPMs.  It isn’t until you hit 4th and 5th, things calm down.  Of course, my goal is to slap a Turbocharger on it, and solve that problem, by summer?  And the speed/cornering capabilities of this are outstanding.  I won't post specifics, but lets just say it corners at speeds that leave you wondering if the speed limit signs were printed for your Great Grandparents to adhere to ...

So... I give the SS two thumbs up.  It’s far from perfect, but as I’ve said from day one ….. Imagine riding in a “Street Legal 3 wheeled Go Cart”... and... you get the picture.


Comments