Harvey is coming.....

Last weekend we got an alarm from one of our systems in the big house, down in Galveston. 
Love the mornings
Thirsty!
Humidity was on the rise so called our A/C guy.   He informed me I was missing 220 and only had a single leg of 110.   So, I called our electrician who told me it was the power company's fault, he opened a ticket and it'd be fixed that evening.  Sure enough, that night the humidity and temps inside our home were dropping.   Still, we weren't sure if the fridge had lost power, so we headed down there a few days ago.  All was good.   There was a new power pole and 'box' out front so the city had apparently done some upgrades ( and partially fucked up ).   Good thing we headed down though.   The loss of power setup some potential future issues we were able to avert ( had to do with furnace filters and condensation ).  And, the weather was ...awesome!  We spent a lot of time on the back deck, down on the beach ( secluded ) and sipped a few adult beverages.  I work from down there so I was busy on the computer when I noticed a Tropical Depression, was working it's way past Mexico.  No biggee I thought.   Well, actually it was/is.   We were planning on staying through Friday, but as each day passed, Harvey was growing.  Now, they were talking Tropical Storm.  Still, no biggee.  But, by yesterday morning they were talking Cat 2 Hurricane and now it had my attention.  I keep Sugar B' down there ( '14 Vintage ) and if I left it in it's 'bubble' and the water got to it... .RUST.  If I unplugged the bubble  and it didn't get wet ... potential RUST from condensation.  So, I decided to ride it 330 miles home yesterday.  Twain, a buddy of mine down in Houston offered to let me park it at his place and I almost took him up on it, but it was slightly out of the way and I decided to take it all the way home and do some upgrades and fixes on it. But, nice to have friends like that? Yes it is!



Out of the shed and headed North. You can see a squall behind bike in the gulf
Weird.  Blue Skies and a beautiful day .. this direction
Rain out over the water behind me

So yesterday morning we lowered all the hurricane shutters, put things away, locked it all up and we headed out, Lucy driving the SUV, me on the bike.  When we were down last time I'd noticed Sugar B's speedometer had quit working as well as the cruise control ( assume they are related ).  It needed to get to the dealer before Lone Star Rally, but no rush.  Well, as we were rolling off the Island I'm reminded of this fact of them not working and decide I'll let Lucy take the lead ... when.. the "light bulb" comes on .  Plan B!  On my way out of town , we've got several Indian Dealerships that we may roll by depending on the direction we take.   I tell her my plan, and we re-plot our course.   I roll in, tell them the problems I'm experiencing and the bike is now in for service!   It's on high ground, out of the elements, an hour from it's 'home' and my ass is now sitting in A/C, on leather, in the Jeep caging it home .  Told them to take their time and I'd pick it up next week. Score!

Score! They got me in!  I'll pick it up next week


Now we wait.   Harvey is headed to Cat 3 status.  But, it's headed west of Galveston, making a bee line for Corpus Christi. I've got family in Corpus Christi.  Not good .  We'll get some storm surge on the Island.   Some tropical level winds.  Many of my friends in Houston are about to be slammed with torrential rains which is just as bad or worse as the being in the direct path of this bastard.  Same for friends in Louisiana.  It sucks for all of us.  But, when you live in this awesome part of the country you've got to take the bad with the good.  My prayers are out to all those riding this POS Harvey out.  And praying you all don't get any property damage....   stay safe my friends


as of 1100 hrs 25 AUG 17


Comments