It's not what you ride, but that you ride ...

If you've been following this blog, you know how I feel. I REALLY give a damned about what I ride, but I don't bust balls on other folks choices.  We make these choices based of history, finances, tastes .. even ... our environment is a factor.

I belong to several forums and groups out there that are centric ot a specific manufacturer and/or model.   Now, what cracks me up is when someone rolls in, and posts a pic of their bike made by Brand X, or Ricearoni' then get butt hurt when folks tear them a new one.   But, I also find humor in the guys that stand up for the post and say "why do you all hate?"    "All that matters is that we all ride" .. "We are all brothers and sisters" ..   BUT...  .. come on.. if a person is in an HD centric group and posts a pic of their Indian or Vic' , and say "hey .. It's American! What's the problem?" . .. or reverse it...  A Vic or HD in an Indian centric group... I say .. "what's the problem?  The problem is .. you  might be an IDIOT".   Sorry .. simple as that.. ... whoops .. did I say that?

But as of late, I've been watching some sparring going on in a FB Group called "Society of Grey Beard Bikers" .  Seems like every day, someone posts a pro HD .. or slam against HD .. meme .. or  .. post.. or comments.  Now, in this group are almost 57,000 guys, most older that ride every  conceivable brand ... and I'm just guessing here.. the majority are probably on an HD.   So, for someone to post this kinda BS  .. it's just rocking the boat.  Now, I have to admit, this one on Honda's the other day was funnier than shit, but there are obviously hundreds if not thousands of guys in the group that ride Goldwings.. or VTXs .. or .. whatever other model.   And,  as funny as it all is I don't blame them for getting butt hurt.  At some level the shit gets old.  Now, in an Indian centric forum I'm as guilty as the next guy posting that BS... but ...   they are not 'general brand' groups. Hell, even though I own an HD, I've been known to post more than a few memes that .. well.. piss off a lot of HD guys.   I can't help but snicker sometimes.  Sometimes,  guys bring the voice of reason .. " why post this crap? " , etc, etc.   Hey.. it's human nature.   Guilty!   But, if you post that crap in a group of generic bikes, hot heads are going to arise.   Understandably so.  Hell, I get pissy when people make Indian motorcycle jokes.   The reason is usually because most of the comments and jabs are made out of ignorance; Indian's history over the last 116 years has been a spotty one at best.   Though they are delivering good bikes today, there are some ugly years over in the past.  Still, I get the fringe jokes.  The fender jokes.  The HD clone jokes. .. etc, etc.   I may not agree with 'em, but .. I can roll with the punches.

As much as I love certain bikes... certain brands.. .certain models.... I'm still a believer at the core, ride what you want to ride.   Who gives a damned what the other guy's ride.  We're all on two wheels and at the core, that's what really matters.  I honestly feel that way.   At the same time, I'm also prouder than hell of what I ride today.   I ride them for a reason.  Various reasons.   If I wanted to ride something else, I'd do it.  Period.   At the same time, I have an appreciation for other's bikes.   Some of them trip my trigger.  Some are rolling pieces of art.  Some are trailer queens that live at bike shows.   I have an appreciation for them.   I don't feel the need to MF' every Big Wheel bike out there.   Or MF' choppers because 'they were a fad' .   Or HDs because they aren't Indians.  Or metrics because they have a Japanese name on them.  Hell, I love bikes .. most bikes.    Just not enough to have my name on the title.    So I ride what I like to ride.  Some of my bikes have become who I am.  I have never in my life bought a bike to be something I'm not.  But I have purchased many a bike to give me a better quality of life. Give me something to grin about, when on two wheels.  I love riding.   As every day passes, I love it more and more.  I've come to realize I'll never be that hard core Long Distance Rider.  Or that crazy bad ass biker who fears none and wrenches his own bike.   But.. I'm somewhere in the mix.

So..  to each their own.  Ride what trips your trigger.  I do.  And I'm proud of the bike(s) I ride.  If someone isn't they may want to consider making that bike they ride something they are proud of.  Or get one they are proud of.   Just don't feel the need to MF' what I ride or what others ride, because it doesn't fit your agenda .. .or vision .. what you'd ride.




Comments