What I want to be when I grow up

Few months ago I wrote about this dilemma:  To Retire or Not to Retire... that is the question

Yesterday, we were visiting a Financial Planner doing some strategizing. This is the first time we met with this particular guy so he was doing the basic overview of questions.  We eventually got to the 'retirement planning' portion and he asked us "what do you see yourselves doing when you retire?"  Point of the question is to ensure one has the funds in place to achieve the dream, right? If not, guess one has to kick the savings/investing into high gear to meet the goals.  Retirement planning 101 I suppose.  Problem is ... Leanne and I looked at each other .. and neither of us ... had an answer.  We sort of snickered and said something to the effect of ... 'we're doing it now.'   We were both in agreement.  

I guess as many get older, they are ready to finally do what they've been saving to do.  Travel the world.  Buy a vacation home. Start a new hobby.  Visit the kids and/or grandkids more.  Whatever.  For us, we've been doing all this since I retired from the USAF over twenty years ago.  We have no desire to venture to Europe.  No desire to venture to Asia.  No desire to jump in an RV and hit the lower 48 and/or Alaska in it.  We've kind of 'been there done it'.  Now that being said, I think at some time in the future it might be cool to hit Australia or New Zealand on a trip.  I'd like to visit more of the US in areas I haven't frequented (NE corner of this great country).  But, I can do this today.  It's not part of the grand retirement scheme.  

Have to admit, I'd like to jump on the motorcycle and do a long road trip ..... few weeks.  I'd like to do a two week trip to Mexico some time; maybe in an AirBnB vs a resort. I'd like to venture off into a National Park for a week or two. But, that could be now. It's not some crazy expensive dream that is part of future retirement.

Our take away from that meeting was our annual costs will probably be lower than today when we retire.  I've been aware of this fact as I've been crunching numbers as of late. But mama' and I have never really had the discussion until yesterday.  My only concern is making sure the finances last a lifetime, but how long is that?  I'm assuming 85 years of age.   Hopefully longer, but you have to pick a target for planning purposes so 85 it is.   Dad is turning 83 this year and is still going strong raising the bar. Maybe that number for me is 90?  Of course at that age, won't need $ for anything more than taxes and utilities and a lil' grub?   

Guess that's why I'm not ready to retire yet.  Why do it now when there is nothing that it brings to me than a lil' less stress during the work day. Maybe if I decide what I want to do when I grow up (ie. retire), I'll pull the plug.  Until then, I'll relate to M-F and weekends as they apply to most of us.

So, back to the 'grind.'




Comments