Leadership questioned ...

Had an interesting one last week. Had someone question my 'backbone' as a leader.   Had someone question the leadership/backbone of someone 'above' me.   Question the leadership of the person above that person.   I wrote about this elsewhere as a hypothetical situation, but I've got a different take on this post.  First of all, I have backbone and I know the person 'above' me does as well.   Just because we don't agree with the argument, means we don't have backbone?   I assure you if anyone that works for me in the civilian world has an issue and are getting fucked over by management, I've got their back. Have backed this all up the last 25 years.   I assure you that if anyone that reported to me in my military days had an issue and were getting fucked over I backed them up.  Been there done that.   And today in groups I belong with I'll have their back when needed.  But, what if I don't agree with the whiner.. the complainer ..  about the issue at hand?  Or, what if I see their point but don't see the value of fighting it 'all the way to the top?'   I'm a 'pick your battles' kind of guy.  Hell, I went through my own BS the last 15 months  and came out of it all stronger and smarter.  You argue your case, agree or disagree with the outcome, maybe even argue it more.  You live with the results or .. walk away.   Also known as "being a quitter" sometimes?  I didn't walk, unlike Mr Whiner?

Now, here's the point of my post.  If I disagree with the person I report to .. or their boss ... and believe things are being done wrong... then why not push to get it changed? Why not not push to .. take their job and implement the changes?  Hell,  ask for a change of location so one reports up a different chain if that helps one sleep at night?  Or ... I always say this .. .. as a last option ... especially with non employment situations   ... why not park your hat / jacket / vest / club card for a few months... even a year or two ... and jump back into the mix after a leadership change?  I mean ... if  the organization one has been a part of one's life for 20 years, costs $25 annual dues... why not ... take a break, pay the dues .. and jump back into the fray later?

Or ... just continue whining and quit. But if one does that... was one ever really part of the organization to begin .. or .. just showing up to wear the ball cap with the group logo on it?



Comments