There is no middle ground....

Half a decade ago I found myself in the midst of a drama fest.   I had a dipshit on one side saying one thing and a group on the other side saying another.  Much of what I heard seemed 'unbelievable' and my personality allowed me to .. stick around...... listen to it all.  Most of what I heard from both sides didn't match up, so I would park the info mentally and move on.  When questioned by either party(s), I'd simply state I was neutral.  None of it applied to me.  Didn't' affect me. So I pressed on, and found myself eventually deeper in the mess than I ever wanted to be.   At the time, I should have 'cut and run!'.  But, I didn't.  As luck would have it I came away from it all with some friendships over time from others in the periphery of it all, that to some extent got caught up in the same BS drama. So, there was an upside.

Still ... at the time.. I should have bailed early. I had my own personal reasons not to.  Still I allowed myself to get sucked in, despite warming flags.   Worse, I dodged the tough questions.  The folks on the one side, turns out the 'good' side, asked me "why" I was putting in the time at all.   Back then, I didn't think it was any of their business. So I pushed back a notch. Still folks questioned my actions.  Questioned my reasons.  But ... didn't feel any of it was affecting me.   But, I didn't have all the info. Didn't know the true facts.  Didn't really know .. the history.  I do now.  And I've put forth some effort the over the last year and half ensuring others have the facts to make educated decisions.

But ... this brings me to a similar scenario.  Now... I'm the one watching folks being (pretending?)  neutral.  Not taking sides.  Doesn't affect them, they say.  I say.  Bullshit.   If you know someone is involved in criminal activities or situations that define their character as less than desirable and you continue to hang with them, physically or virtually, one has to question one's own motives and/or character.  If all the facts are available to you and you choose not to review them or believe them, but continue on down the supposed neutral path, I call BS.

So now... it's time to put some space between the folks that don't have the balls to draw the line.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Something is going on with my Google account, so I had to choose anonymous. I didn't want to post as another neutral user. This is the newly minted POS, back in 2017 by a post by an acquaintance.
A lot like we see today in our country, there is no longer the middle ground. In this whole situation, sides have been taken and the side you take, you should own it. No moving away from the choice you made. If you have moved and professed sorrow, tried to make amends, it is good for your soul. In my mind, you are never to be 100% trusted. Too many moles!!! Your choice was made based on facts you saw, read, bluster and Bologna. Speaking for myself, I gave it time and did my own checking and each time, it took me further away from the sheople and shepherd. I stayed in a group long enough to secure their funds and ensure it stayed with the group. Today, that group is flourishing and are having a blast as a group. I will step away from the local group(s) when monies are due. I will stay with the one national group, with a local chapter.
Masks and middle fingers are indelibly etched in my memory bank, so to those who are trying to seek middle ground, congratulations. How's that crow taste?
Anonymous said…
This is very to the point. What people fail to realize that in situations like this "dealing with a narcissist" one shouldn't validate there behavior by remaining neutral.
From everything that I have read about the person in question I can't begin to understand how or why any person with a conscience would give this man the time of day.
Lets see, He beats his wife, Has had three affairs, one of which he made very public by attempting to sue the woman he was sleeping with. He stalks women, He basically stole millions of dollars from a sweet American Indian women. He ran a charity in which he spent most of the proceeds on entertaining himself. The list goes on and on. This is a bad person. When people question him he threatens them with court action. Not sure why anyone ever supported this person. I guess even Charles Manson had his groupies!