Motorcycle World Record

It was August 2016, the first time I'd ever done anything like this.   It was up in MN and there was a ridiculous build up to it all.  The goal was for 500 bikes, and it was held during an annual weekend event up there...   Well, when the time came they were lucky to get past 250 ( I think they got 264 or something like that) due to the rain and lack of interest.  The craziest part to me .. or maybe the right word was weakest ..  was that it was for a 4 mile around the block 'parade.'.   Yes, I realize this was all that was required but .. gotta' tell you .. .really?

Well, in Aug 2017, they went for the next big one!   Shooting for 501!  Forget that ... they didn't even get close the previous year to the goal.  Well, this one was more interesting. No way in hell I was participating after the last fiasco, as many others felt.  Well, they got something like 273 or 274. Rumor has it ..  even the number is sketchy because apparently .. and I head this second hand.. that folks were pulling bikes out of the dealership to ride since they were short the qty of bikes needed. And, rumor has it ...  not all had an MC license.  But, does it really matter?  Well to those that participated it did of course...  but .. as I'd said before, what happened to the umm... magic 500?

Well, this year the record is set to be broke again in Racine, WI. This is an Indian Bike Rally being held simultaneously with HD's 115th Anniversary in HD's backyard.  Now that one would be interesting.  In fact... I'm still tempted but my schedule looks like it's not an option.  I'll be cracking a smile if they break the 500 number, that was never an option the previous two years.



Well, the reason for writing this is ...  I'd read where last year, an HD record was set in the country of Greece for 2404 bikes.  I remember thinking that had to be a hell of a lineup!   Well at our monthly CVMA Chapter meeting today, it was brought up about the local challenge to the record.  I spun my head around thinking "what did they just say?". Turns out my local HD Dealership in Paris has put together a shot a the record next month. Damned... over 2400 bikes? And, they are allowing other bikes in. What?  I pinged them wondering how they could do that?  Well... easy.  The other bikes are allowed to ride with the HDs, but they have to be in the back.  Duh!  Makes sense.  Well, as soon as I got home , researched it and registered.  A whole $15.00 ( plus tax!). .. fifteen bux.  Gotta love it. Value!  Now here is the part that really caught my attention and got me to thinking about the fiasco from '17 I mentioned above.  You've got to give them your NAME... BIKE info, VIN number, LIC PLATE # and .. your MC Drivers License number.  I know for a fact I never provided all that before.  I'm guessing last year's lil' run at the number would have been different had that all been provided?  Well, if the rumors are correct.



Will the record be broken?  I don't know.  I didn't even hear of it until today.  But still...  a thousand ... two thousand .. plus bikes rolling up to Oklahoma from Paris Texas, on a road that has minimal intersections... sounds like fun.   And .. what if we break the record?  I'll take a chance for $15.


Comments

Rick said…
The only reason that they need your info is they won't have the man from Guinness there counting and verifying. I cost money to have the Guinness man show up.
RickkciR said…
That makes sense....them bow ties are expensive! (Humor)