80 is the new 60

There was a time when I used to think ...  Age 60 was 'old' .  I've lost family members in their 50s.  I've lost friends in their 40s. I know a lot of folks that passed away in their 60s.. so .. 60 was that number in my brain.  Few decades ago, my Dad retired around age 56 or 57.  He was just warming up, He and Mom settling in on 80 acres, Log home, large pole barn and ... . they were literally starting the next phase of their life .. not pulling the plug and watching the world go by from the front porch.

My brain eventually moved to the next decade.  I started to think 70 was 'old'.  But, Dad had started up the local Volunteer FD.  Helped it become successful from scratch.  Was working that 80 acres with a tractor like most of us do our yards with a push mower.  Mom was loving her life, out in the country.

Yep.. my brain then moved to the next decade.  80....  Dad's in the Gym.  Working his property. Making money in the Stock Market....  80 is old?  Nope...   I've reset to that number to 90... .. that might be too low.

My Dad just turned 80, and is in better physical shape than most of my peers.  Better shape than a LOT of folks I know a decade to two younger than myself.  Better shape than myself from a health perspective.  It's just a number.  What matters is our health.  It allows us to get to our later years. Allows us to truly LIVE them!  It's making me look inwards into my own life and habits; I'd like to follow in his foot steps!

I posted this on Social Media yesterday.  Looking at it now, I'm guessing more than a few think I threw Dad on the back of mine and we went for a ride two up, him riding bitch.  Or, he used a walker to get to a Rebel 250 and putted down the road at 25mph as the dust flew off of it?  Not quite! LoL.    About Five years ago, my Mom passed away.  They'd been married for over 50 years. Decades of smoking cigarettes caught up with her, but she made it into her late 70s and lived an awesome life.  Sometime after the shock of losing Mom, he made a comment to me about my bike riding.  Something along the lines of he wished he'd rode in the past so he could ride with me now at this point in his life. My favorite line when someone mentions they'd like to ride or wish they rode is ... "take the Motorcycle Safety Class!"  For Approx $300 you get a weekend of riding, and they provide small bikes to learn and or practice on , and for the most part,  one is ready to get a "M" on their license via taking a written test, etc.  As a minimum, after that weekend one is ready to take the next step.  Dad did.  And it began! Going the American Iron route, Dad's first
bike was an HD Sportster 1200. That one,  he rode for a couple of years 'learning' on.  Learning probably isn't the right word, but it was his first bike.  He'd attend Bike Rally's on it.  Rode Devils Den ( twisties! ) in AR on it.  Rode the Pig Trail ( more twisties!) in AR on it.  But, he was now in the next phase, wanted to ride two up on one and the Sportster ain't the biggest bike around.  When I got my Slingshot at Gregory Polaris several years ago, Dad picked me up at the airport in Little Rock and took me to the dealer.  Over in the corner was a used '13 Victory Cross Country Tourer and ... .Dad was soon test fitting it.  Few weeks later, he was riding it.  The next phase!   He rode that for over a year, handled it great , and we sped around the 2 lanes of TX  together.  But .. he never felt 100%  comfortable on it.  So, the search began and an HD Heritage Softail turned out to be the
'fit' for him.  Indian doesn't have a current generation bike to compete 'head to head' with this model.  Some might argue the Springfield or Vintage does, but they are slightly larger.  Anyways, the fit for him was perfect. The price was right ( was a year old and traded in for an Indian ) ... and he snagged it.  He's comfortable on it one up. Handles it great 2 up.   And he rides it whenever possible.

Several years ago, Dad joined the IIRA and the local chapter here in TX.  He rode with us whenever possible, but still there's 400 miles distance between us.  About a year or so ago, he came across a group of bikes in Paragould, AR and discovered it was an MC, consisting of Vets, supporting Vets.  Next thing I know Dad is prospecting for an MC and .... after earning it...   patched in as a full member, at age 79!   The road name they gave him is "Father Time" !!  They couldn't believe he was 79.  He was in better shape than pretty much every other member in the chapter, most whom are a decade  or more, younger than him.   Many of them are on Trikes, and he's rolling on 2 wheels.  Few hinted for him to get a trike ..... lets just say .. that didn't go over well, if you know my Dad?  This isn't your normal "biker story" !

So this past weekend I rode my bike out to AR for Dad's 80th.   Got him an HD leather jacket for his
B'day to stay warm in and show his pride.  On Saturday, we rode in a small town Veteran's Day parade in Paragould, AR riding out to it in weather just above freezing.   Then off to his MC Clubhouse to support local Vets.. then rode back to Pocahontas. I'd have preferred to just taken off on 2 lanes and he and I did 500 miles together that day, but that wasn't the plan. Still, it was a good day.  Actually it was a great Day.  Dad just turned 80, and he ain't slowing down. Last year he converted a bedroom to a full gym.  He's scheming on using the newer Indoor Pool in town as part of his 'training' over the winter.  And most importantly, we talked about some future rides we're going to do come Spring , together in TX and AR.  Some extended rides over several days.

Is 90 old?   I don't know.  I assumed I'd never make it that far.  I assumed I'd never make it to 80.  But the bar has been raised.  It's not about 'making it' to that number.  It's about living life fully, up to that number.. and blowing past that number in great health.   What' 'old'?  I don't know anymore.  But one thing I do know...   My Dad ain't old.  He's only 80.





Comments