She Starts .... '47

Wrote about this the other day; a situation that occurred due to my procrastination.  Few years back I purchased a '47 Chief Indian Motorcycle. I always thought it'd be 'cool' to own an 'original' one but never got serious about it.  But, after meeting Mike and Carolyn Tomas of Kiwi Indian Motorcycles a half decade ago, I started thinking about it again.  Mike not only restores them, but also creates replicas that are downright beautiful and to the average person, you can't tell the difference between new and old.  Those that are up to speed will pick out a few things such as modern disc brakes, etc.  But not only does Mike build the replica, he produces many of the parts such as the motors.  So, when you get one, it's basically a brand new bike!  No headaches of the old days, but all the beni's of new and he's taken it to the next level.  Case in point is starting them.  He produces starters for them, that didn't exist back in the day; and I may be going this route soon!  I'd considered getting one of his replicas the last few years, but .. here's the kicker.   Several years ago, I bought a 1947 Chief and had it delivered from Florida.  The previous owner told me to give him a buzz when it arrived and he'd walk me through the startup process, etc. Well... I never did.   Thought I'd wait until next week .. which became next month .. which ..  well.. became .. this week.   Now the point of bringing that up now is ...  I couldn't make myself buy one of Kiwi's new replica's as long as I had that '47 .... just sitting there.

A local buddy of mine, Mark Eaton, has been pushing me for quite some time to get this bike running. He's got the background and expertise to make it so, but I pushed back due to schedule.  You know .. all this lack of time I must have.   In reality, on my off time when it's sunny out and temps are right, I want to be out riding.  Or at the pool.   Or in Galveston.  Anywhere, but working on a bike. I'm not a 'wrench' by nature, only by necessity. So, I successfully stalled and stalled.  Last Friday my brother in law was visiting and the subject came up.  Except, I'm unable to find any valid excuses and ... within a day or two, we are at it working on the bike.   There are a couple of reasons I've procrastinated so long on this project.  The first is I've never ridden a bike with a foot clutch and a suicide shifter.  So, deep down I felt that if I started it, I'd probably head down the road and wreck it. And if I started it, what was to keep me screwing up during that process and clutch it wrong and ... wreck it.  So I convinced myself I wasn't qualified.  Now, forget that fact that I have several friends that have old Chiefs and could have helped talk me through it on the phone.  Or the previous owner.  Or my Local buddy.  Finally, sitting on the Chief I questioned if I'd ever ride it.  I wanted it for personal reasons, but one of those wasn't riding it hundreds of miles at a pop.   Well, I've got some pretty big bikes that I ride.  They are powerful. They are comfortable.  I'm not a small guy ( beer and burgers have been good to me ).  I just didn't see myself ....riding it, as crazy as that may sound.   But, over the last year, test riding a few new scouts (small for my size).. sitting on Kiwi's bikes....    joining a local club of antique bikes... I've been coming around to the idea of just that.  Riding it, the way it was meant to be ridden.   So, I found myself kick starting that sucker.. over and over the last few days.  Which brings up another issue/point.   I started riding in '83 on a small street bike.  I never rode dirt bikes; dirt bikes have kick starters.  I didn't ride old HDs ether, that had kick starters.  I had , until several days ago, zero experience kick starting a bike.   Hell, I remember being on a business trip a few years back and one of the guys I met up with, had a crazy cast on his right let.. up to his hip.  He had an old HD that .. kicked back.. so to speak, and screwed him up pretty good. So, I'm guessing that was in the back of my mind?    ( note on kick starting: my hip is now killing me!)

Well, back to the start up.  Seeing how I had the great wisdom to just park it and not drain any fluids, I had a small task ahead.  Seeing how I had the great wisdom to not add any additives such as Sta-bil to the fuel, it was now larger, than just a small task.  Seeing how none of us trying this, had any previous experience with the old Indians, it seemed like a daunting task.  But, I knew if we failed Mark Eaton would come over and save my ass.  Mike Tomas and I had talked and he offered his assistance as necessary.  So, we went at it.  My brother in law is pretty sharp, once in awhile I show tiny glimpses of intelligence .. so ..we are a go.  We drain the fuel which immediately points out we have a potential issue.  Looked like yellow/green piss.  Smelled a lil' like varnish.  Ruh-Roh.   We replace it with fresh non-ethanol fuel ( somebody needs to shoot someone in the government for forcing that crap corn fuel on us), and clean the fuel filter and empty the float bowl.   I begin the process of kicking it over .. and over.. and over.  Somewhere along the way a conversation about the small battery in there comes up.  You know, the one that has never been on the charger.. for years.  Tim is thinking this has a magneto and a battery isn't required.  I'm looking at a battery .. and a generator.. and I'm thinking...  'bet it does need it'.  It does.   We make a wasted trip to the auto parts store; they have no idea what the battery model number relates to.  Guess we should have gone to Walmart, because they had three, one of which was to be mine, the following day.  So, we prep it with battery acid and get it charged up... and ...   time to drink beer. We're out of time, I'm beat and .. we earned it. The following morning, Tim is headed back to Nebraska, I'm on my 'own' and no longer 'scared' of this bike and..... I'm telling myself .. "don't procrastinate again!".   I didn't

Yesterday afternoon I finally broke away from the work computer mid afternoon.  I've got somewhere to be in a few hours.   I don't have time to dedicate to this for a week or two, after that.  The '47 is calling my name.  So, I head out to put in the battery which ....  attempts unsuccessfully to kick my butt.  It's always the lil' things. Anyways, finally get that in and hooked up.  I've got lights.  That's a good sign.  I've watched a video by Kiwi Indian on the start up process.   But, have to admit... probably wasn't paying enough attention because after getting my ass whooped and breathing hard, I take a break and watch it ... again.  And this time, take notes.  And I'm like ...'aaaaaah'.. ..'hmmmm''....'oooh .. that " ..   anyways, great video, great advice and .. I'm now more confident than ever.  So .. I kick .. and kick  ...  and about to call it a day ... when finally get some progress.  She' starts.

This video is on the longer side.  If you want to watch me break a sweat, gasp for air and show .. what not to do.....   grab a cup of coffee or a beer and snicker at it.  If you want to hear the sound of music, jump to "10:30" in the video.   All I can say is, after cleaning up, I headed out to visit with some friends, smoked a stogie and went through a six pack of Dos Equis Ambar.  I earned 'em.  While sippin them ice cold beers I'm also thinking.... " why the f" did I not do this when I first got it!?!?!! "





Comments

Unknown said…
Way to go brother, great to hear her run.