Adventure Bike....

Still waiting for delivery of the bike. Been doing a LOT of reading as I prepare for this next .. .... phase.. .. journey .. .adventure.. of riding. Been riding street bikes for 32 years... small ones.. lots of big ones. Never seriously ridden off road... but , have the itch to get off the beaten path. I found myself reading an article the other day ( don't have the link.. probably couldn't find it if I tried ) .. but the gist of it was... deciding on what type of bike you want .. You know.. Off road.. vs. Dual Sport/Purpose .. vs 'Adventure" bike.... had me rethinking ...WTF am I doing here? Basically, it pointed out that bikes like the TEX weren't really off road bikes, but street bikes that find their way onto gravel roads, blah blah. .. Had me wondering.. "should I have gotten a used KLR650 and ride it for 6 months first? " ...just to make sure? . BUT... they keep banging on the weight of bikes like the TEX .. the height of them ... tires.. etc, etc. Well, by the time I got a 2nd cup of java in me , finished it.. I realized I'm probably not their average reader/brain washing subject. The difference between a 400 and 500 lb bike to me is..... well.. zilch. I'm used to 800-900 lb bikes. I'm 6'4, over 300lbs and the TEX 1200 feels perfect for me. If I want to do more aggressive off road riding , which I doubt, a simple swap out of the tires will get me there. Point being.. I started second guessing this decision before I put my first mile on the new bike! LOL. ( no worries .. I'm still on track ) ... Lil History.. my Indian had an ECU issue at a rally in MN a few years ago and the owner of the dealership handed me the keys to a 1200 so I could do the Charity Run that weekend , while his guys worked on my bike. I stood out like a sore thumb among the leather clad boys. Bike wasn't as comfortable ( in 100% stock form ) as my Indian .. but... my god it had pep. QUICK. and ... handled the pavement excellent. Every time we stopped, I was looking for shortcuts across the grass.... eyeing up the ditches... looking over towards the woods... wondering... "do I? .. should I?" .... I didn't .. I pussed out.. I should have left the 300 or so big cruisers and taken the long way home through the woods.. but I stuck with them , with a sh*t eating grin on my face. Since then , every-time we are out riding and we 'can't take that one road" .. you know... the one with gravel.. ruts... looks like it goes somewhere, but someone uses it , because .. .its a mess.. but .. there are tire tracks .. someone is.. THAT ... has me itching for this bike. To disappear on a Saturday , pistol tucked away out of sight, full tank of fuel , and maybe a GPS to make sure I find my way back... that alone got me here... ..... haven't done a mile.. but now I'm reading about Baja trips folks are doing ... trips up in the National Parks ... and my cousin saying " Hey .. we need to get a couple of BMW 1200s and ride from TX to Argentina before we get too friggn old!" .. I responded with .. ... BMW? Dude , I just ordered the Triumph! ( he'd seen the pic, but didn't realize I was serious ) ... now.. he's got me thinking of that trip; I know he is! Well,, now I wait. Reading all the forum comments... drooling over the pics.... realizing there is whole new aspect to what I've been doing for years... My buddies I ride with are going to be scratching their heads wondering what they hell I've done now... lol ... Hell... I'm scratching my head. My wife... she went and picked out a new purse and said "thank you baby ".. ... I get a new toy .. she gets a new purse. Small Price to pay 



Comments