Why the CVMA?

No doubt more than just a few folks have been scratching their heads lately wondering what the hell I'm doing . CVMA? Thought you were in the IIRA?  And what about those IMRG folks that keep waiting for me to roll up and ride with them? Good questions.

Combat Vets Motorcycle Association


I've been a member of the Iron Indian Riders Association for the last 8 years or so.  It's become a passion of mine.  I've got time... mindset .. even money to a minimal degree .. tied up in it.  It's my main focus.  I've met awesome people within it's ranks....  Created a chapter.  Recently brought into the Tribal Council.  I'm not going anywhere.

Iron Indian Riders Association

Actually, I belong to many organizations. In the motorcycle world; IIRA, IMRG (lifetime member), AMA, AMCA,  CVMA.  In the military/vet world  ..   VFW ( lifetime member), American Legion (lifetime member), CVMA (all members are Vets).. and     even the NRA (Endowment member)

.


Recently .. the CVMA came into focus for me.  Let me set the stage first.  I spent 20 years in the military.  I'd probably still be in the military if they didn't show you the door at the 30 year point.  At the 20 year mark, I made the decision to move on to the next phase of my life; it's easier to find a job at 39 than 49 was my thinking.  I've never regretted that decision but deep down .. I miss the mission.  I've been lucky to still be connected to some degree with the Program I used to fly with. I'm still connected to many of those folks  I flew with.  Still, deep down .. I miss some of it.  Few years ago I came across the Combat Vets Motorcycle  Association (CVMA).  I believe Kevin Rose was the first, back several years ago at IRIP.  He spoke highly of it.  Then a couple of years, ago, Marty Gustafson whom I met also through the Indian Motorcycle brotherhood... was a member.  I've seen some folks local here where I reside.  Few years ago I reached out to the local Chapter Commander here in East Texas with a few questions. There is a process you get vetted with to validate your qualifications: I'd filled out the paperwork .. and then.. got side tracked.  Procrastinated.  Last year, Mark Kennedy and I ran into a guy local here that was with the CVMA.  Mark and I discussed possibly moving forward.. then .. again.. it all fell by the wayside.  But what really pushed me forward was my Dad patched in with an MC that is Veteran focused; Vietnam Vets / Legacy MC.  I met many of them last November at the club house and participated in a ride with them and came away with a feeling you only get, being around your fellow brothers that served in the military.  They hinted that I may want to join their MC .. even start my own chapter here locally.   But, my mind was elsewhere.  It stirred up the thoughts I'd had with the CVMA.  And so I finally got off my ass and reignited the process I'd started 2 years ago. I began attending meetings and bike nights.  Knew I was headed the right direction. Few months later, I was patched in.

When I entered the military almost forty years ago .. (still can't believe it's been that long) I signed up knowing I could end up giving my life in service for my country.  I didn't dwell on that fact; just knew it.  Everyone I served with, did the same.  Over the 20 years I served, there were times I thought that might happen.  Could happen.  Though I was never in a situation to take the life of the enemy, I would have done it without hesitation.  Still would if called upon to do so.  Many of the folks I served with were in that situation.   Many folks that served our great nation did just that.  As we all know, there are sometimes ramifications that come from carrying through on that huge responsibility (PTSD, injuries, etc).  The Combat Vets Motorcycle Associations brings together those that have served and some that still serve, into an organization that allows Vets to help Vets.  And we all ride.  There's just something about riding with those that were willing to give their life.... would most likely still be willing to give their life.. that have your Six ..  that calls to me.  And that, is why I joined the CVMA.

At this point, I'll be low key in the big picture.  My responsibilities to the IIRA restrict me from carrying a key position in the near future with the CMVA... but I'm looking forward to wearing two hats.. hell .. two cuts (vests) for that matter.  There are 12 months of riding in the year and I've got more than enough time to spend with both families. They both have my heart in many ways.. some different .. some similar.   Hell, I'm still trying to wiggle time in to ride with the Dallas IMRG chapter, but date conflicts and route conflicts always seem to get in the way.

The way I see this all..... it's a nice problem to have?



Comments

Gruntbox said…
CVMA 15-2 in North Carolina

1989 Panama
1990-1991 Desert Shield/Storm
1994-1995 Former Yugoslavia
RickkciR said…
@gruntbox

We there 'together'
1987-1990 Panama
1990-1995 Desert Shield/Storm/Calm