Life ....




I've always enjoyed it .  Always considered myself a content, happy person.  I believe for most of my life that I've been happier than most; at least if measured outwardly .  I remember back in my military days, a supervisor in the USAF actually cornered me and told me he thought I was  full of BS.  Nobody is this happy every day he told me.  That one still makes me shake my head; wondered how many others shared that opinion.

My whole life I've been aware that many people go through life without smiling.  Without laughter. Without truly enjoying each day. I've keyed on it for some reason.  I used to go out of my way to change the environment attempting to bring smiles and joy to the moments.  Somehow , I felt this was my mission.  Somewhere along the way I grew wary of it and minimized that behavior, but it's still there in me.

Whether it be while traveling in a vehicle, or at an airport , or a mall, I've always noticed that so many seem to be just plodding through life. I always wondered how people could be that unhappy.  I guess I never realized how fortunate I've been.  As a kid I grew up seeing the world.  I was born and raised in California as a kid, then four years in Guam , over three years in Hawaii, then finished High School  in Minnesota.  During that time we traveled as far away as Japan on vacations.  Traveled to various areas in the US on vacations.   We were a true middle class family.  Parents were frugal but always provided for us kids. No big house, fancy cars or outrageous vacations.  Just a good life , raised by good , loving parents.  I was raised by two parents unlike many today.  Went to school where we actually learned , unlike many today.  Lived a healthy lifestyle, unlike many today.  I considered my life the norm.  I never bullied, and was never bullied, unlike many today.  I did experience racism, myself being in the minority and the target in several places growing up.  Though it created hardships, I grew from it and it's shaped my attitude on racism in a positive manner, unlike many today.

Today , I live in a part of the country I've chosen.  I could live elsewhere due to nature of my career.  Actually , I could live in any of the 50 states I chose; even another country.  But I've chosen to live where I do.  That creates a calmness; happiness of its own.  Something that equates to minimal stress.

However, I must admit  I'm not as carefree as I used to be.  Recently I've become more aware of my own mortality.  Limitations of my own health.  My family members health.  Friends health and well being.  I've become more aware of the chaos in people's lives, some self induced, some induced by luck or .. lack of it.  All those faces around me over that years that expressed pain or unhappiness or lack of emotion I'm starting to understand.  Those faces used to represent to me,  people that weren't taking advantage of life or didn't know how to be happy.  I've always felt it was a choice we make.  To make the best of our situations.  I've come to realize most people are dealing with numerous stresses in their lives that affect internally and externally.  At any given moment , the majority of people around us are dealing with sickness and /or death in the family, relationship issues, health issues, financial issues, job issues... .. life.  It's sort of a shock to the system when you realize that it's the majority of people, not the minority.

All that being said,  I still believe we have a choice .  Every day when we wake up, we can make a choice to smile and enjoy life to its fullest , or we can let the day's stresses and issues drain our emotions and direct our life.  Sometimes , that's harder to do that others but I believe it's possible. Our emotional state , our attitude, we have the ability to control.  And that correlates to how we choose to live daily.  

Happy or Sad.  Motivated or Lazy.  It's a choice we make....



Comments