Pet Peeves - bike related




Been riding since '83.  Early on, I didn't formulate an opinion....  but over the years, that opinion has molded  via incidents ... things I've heard..   things I've seen .. things I've experienced.

In the early days it was around the HD mindset.  You know... how HD riders felt other brands were a POS.  Now, not all owner/riders felt that way, but that was the common conception.   I saw that mindset . Experienced that mindset from the other side.  Still, I didn't get butt hurt about any of it; I was just aware.  Hell, my take on it all was that my bike was equal or better, and cost a fraction.  Didn't need repairs.  Didn't leak oil.  And, it was a beauty.   Yet....   deep down, I did appreciate custom built bikes  and certain HD models.  And, I remember rolling up on my bike and folks nodding.. smiling...   well, until they realized eventually I was on a Jap bike and .. suddenly .. it all changed.  Still, you have to see the humor in it all.

The last 8 years has been an interesting one.   In '09 I picked up my Kings Mountain Indian Chief.   For the first time, I found myself laughing about all the previous year's BS from a diff' angle.  Why?  Because I felt my bike was superior to those, that were spouting the BS.  Now when I say superior, I don't mean across the board.  I mean ... to me.  I felt it was more beautiful.  Had more class.  Gave me a level of pride I hadn't experienced previously.  But, I kept it in check.  I didn't go out spouting my personal feelings.  I kept them to myself (does this Blog count?). Suffice to say I was proud to be riding an Indian Motorcycle, and began to meet many like minded folks.   And, my education began. An education on the Gilroy years.  The Springfield years.  The dark years in between.   They all .. contribute to the Indian Motorcycle heritage.

When I bought a bike in '02 it was a brand new '00 Vulcan Classic.  Right next to it was a 1500 Drifter.  The Drifter was a tribute model to the Indians of the 40s.  Part of me really liked it.  But, I didn't like the 2 up seat so I didn't go down that path.  I liked the styling.  The fenders.  But, it wasn't an Indian.  And that brings me to another Pet Peeve.  Folks that dress out their drifters as if they were Indians.  Tank Decals that say Indian Motorcycle.  Fender Bonnets from the Indian era. Etc, etc.  Sorry, as nice as they look, to me they are posers.  It's no different than taking a Honda  or Suzuki or HD, and doing that to it.  And yes, I've seen my share.   I get taking a Drifter to a different level with leather, fringe, etc.   But..   the minute it's got 'real' Indian parts on it, or other parts to disguise it as an Indian.....  sorry...  no go.  

New Indian Riders, with a chip on their shoulder.   I've got a few gripes.  First, is the new owner of the brand that suddenly decides every other brand of bike out there is a POS.  Hell, this person could have rode HDs for thirty years.. but now...  every HD on the face of the earth is a POS, and every rider of them is a moron for riding them.  Now.. apparently .. this wasn't the issue the year before when they rode it and maybe even had some HD ink on their arm.  But now, on every group and forum... anything but an Indian.. is a POS bike.  I see this just about every day.  Now, here's a glimpse into my dark side.  Yes, I believe Indian is one of the best bikes out there. I've drank the Indian Motorcycle Kool-Aid.  I love 'em.  I think they are some of the most beautiful bikes around.  But, I've seen a few HDs that I think are gorgeous (not many .. but hey .. a few .. lol ).  Most every brand has a nice model or two.  There are some bikes out there that may be technically superior to an Indian, but in the big picture (looks, handling, performance, etc, etc)  I believe Indian usually wins out.   And, just to confuse a few, I enjoy posting meme's that dig at other brands ( ie Pro Indian )... and watch the reactions. Call it stirring the pot.. or just being an asshole, but I get a kick out of it.  If nothing else, a lot of haters come out of the weeds and expose their true selves on the subjects ...  and sometimes that in itself can be entertaining.  Sorry .. can't help myself! Now, all that being said, I get being pro brand.  I get digging at the other brands sometimes..  it's all part of the fun.  But, when someone goes off the deep end .. sorry I can't help myself.  Sometimes.. it's game on.   But back to the actual peeve.  The real peeve is when a newbie throws a leg over the Chief or Scout... and beats their chest, suddenly thinks they are now a Native American, has to name their bike some obscure Indian name, and does everything but wear an Indian War Bonnet on every ride.. and sometimes.. maybe.. they do that too?  Then, announced to the world that anything but an Indian, is a POS. Some of this crap is just funny....

Another pet peeve...  "We're all Brothers."   Give it a Rest.  Now, in the big picture .. I get it.  In a form of hypocrisy on the subject..... I agree to some extent.  But, just because we ride Indian Motorcycles, doesn't make us Blood Brothers.  There is a new group started on Facebook that goes down this path.  The creator of it even made his own patches and stickers.   He's pushing it pretty hard.   Few hundred folks are lining up and buying in.   At some level, I 'get it'.  But come one folks... calm it down a notch.  Some of these clowns just bought an Indian Motorcycle, never ridden before in their life and now...  are spouting "we're all Brothers in the Wind.". .or .. something like that.   But I just don't buy in.   I know a lot of assholes that ride Indian Motorcycles. I've met a lot of assholes that ride HDs.  And, there are lots of assholes that ride every brand.  Hell, more than a few of those think I'm the asshole, and their shit don't stink.  But, it's my blog and I beg to differ. Can't imagine that I could ever be the problem? (that's funny right there).  Point being, and I've said this before.  If someone rides, passes one of my filters.  If they ride a common bike ( ex. Indian ), another filter.  Same group (ex IIRA)?  Another filter.  I've made some great friends in the IIRA.  Made some great friends that ride Indians.  Made some great friends that ride other brands.  And I've got lots of friends that don't ride.  But if someone expects a free pass and thinks they are supposed to get a bro hug for wearing this patch... or because they ride a bike that is similar to mine... well, lets just say......  they might be confused. Hell, just last night had a virtual tussle with someone in a FB group over this exact subject.  He'd had someone create something for his man-cave based on this patch.  Now, the funny part to me is he came from the Victory Motorcycle world.  Probably MF'd Indian before Polaris killed off the Vic' brand. He recently bought an Indian.   Now....  apparently he and I were supposed to be "United by Blood."  Didn't stop him from M***f***ing a dozen folks that questioned it, that have been riding Indians longer than he.  So confusing.  Sorry .. my give a shit factor is on the low side?

Okay .. my last Pet Peeve for the day ....I'm sure I'll remember a dozen others after I hit "publish".

Joe Blow Rider buys an a new Indian.  He's been riding brand X .. or brand 'rice' .. or brand 'vic for the last how many years... ..  now .. suddenly every Indian Motorcycle before Indian Motorcycle model year 2014 is a piece of shit.   You know.. the Kings Mountain era.. the Gilroy era. the .. whatever era.   They are HD clones .. .. wannabes ..whatever.. but now that a company named Polaris is pushing the product, they are Gods' gift to the motorcycling world.  Forget the fact that Gilroy paved the way.   KM continued the journey. Forget the fact that KM was still producing and shipping bikes when PI purchased them.  Somehow everything before the 2014 Spirit Lake models, are pieces of shit.  I call... bullshit on their BS opinions.  The '99 - '01 Chiefs with S&S 88s were drop dead gorgeous.  The '02 and '03 models with PP100 were awesome. Yes, there were QA issues that caused problems and eventually, the demise of the brand, but at the core they rocked. And the Scout and Spirit models through all those years, were beauties. The PP105 motors  in the '09 to '13s are rock solid. The PP100s in the 02s and 03s can be solid when upgraded via a few aftermarket companies. And , not all PP100s had issues. But in all fairness, the PP100 QA issues helped along the demise of Indian in the fall of 2003.  But, had they all not existed, Indian as we know it today, would not exist.. Yet, we have to deal will the morons that rant on and on about ridiculous issues they usually, have zero knowledge of. Today, there are a LOT of Gilroy and KM bike out there running that are drop dead gorgeous. Fact.  But, we continue to have naysayers among our ranks.  To be honest, their stupidity just wears me out.  I don't' even argue anymore... ... .

Sorry .... I just don't buy into the Johnny come lately BS... .   .. there I feel better now






Comments

Johnny come Lately will be my new hashtag.
Thanks Rick! It's hard to scroll past them...I will try.
Happy Thanksgiving !