Hope For The Warriors 2019

Weekend with CVMA
________________________________________________

Early last year I'd joined the CVMA and got patched in with 23-11 here in East Texas.   Since joining, my circle of friends, Brothers and Sisters has expanded.  I've been retired from the USAF for 20 years
2018 - Brought the Cart
working in the commercial world.  Though my job has me tied to the Federal space and my old
2018 RV Setup
program, the CVMA has brought me back to my military roots.  One of our members has been putting on an event here in my area for the last nine years, but I was unaware of it until last year. Apparently many others are unaware and I've been trying to spread the word.  He's got acreage out in Campbell, and at the back of his property he's created his own stage that has grown over the years; Clancy's Saloon.   It's dormant most of the year, but as September looms closer he spends about a month prepping it for the big event; Wounded Warriors Benefit Concert. As I go back thought my photo's from last year, I find myself in  memory lane.  We had an over the top incredible time.  The weather didn't cooperate but we made the best of it and had a friggn' blast.   So much so that I've been planning this years, from the day the last one was over.   And this year wouldn't disappoint.



Frank had to bump  up the date by a week due to CVMA Regionals unfortunately; this normally ties in closer to 9/11.  As we got closer, I kept checking the weather hoping for sunshine.  Not only would I get my wish, but more than I'd wanted.  Temps all weekend would be in excess of 100 degrees.  Nothing but sunshine.  I got what I wished for and more.  I'd been planning on pulling out the RV again, and Frank went out of his way to get the area I was going to park it in prepped but It wouldn't be.  For a half dozen reasons I opted not to bring it out this time around.  I've been out of pocket for several weeks before in and out of Galveston.   I wasn't feeling 100% for whatever reasons.  That week I was buried in work up until early Friday afternoon. Basically my give a shit factor was on the low scale so we opted to just cage it in on Friday and Saturday.   Maybe if the temps had been a lil cooler I might have forced myself to hook up to the RV.   But I have to admit, the thought of sleeping in an air conditioned house just sounded better.   Only thing it forced me to do was keep the party in check for the daily drive home which I did.  Looking at the previous years pics, I was quickly reminded of the crazy party we had on site every day and night.   Same this time, but I was pounding waters and sodas before heading to the Jeep every night.   Each night I found myself wishing I'd brought that damned RV!

Pulled up Friday and they had a canopy and chairs setup for our CVMA chapter meeting scheduled on site.  Big T had his RV-setup.   Hell, there were a dozen rigs at least, setup around the whole area.   Some of our hard core members had their tents setup and had crashed there the previous night.   Soon we had my canopy setup, chairs out , and cooler accessible.  For me .. finally .. the weekend was upon us.   Few hours later, Charlie Smith is up on stage and the tunes are rolling.   We found a good spot up near the stage, opened up the coolers and it's a Friday night party.  Before 2200hrs though ...     you know you've got to get home in one piece so we pulled the plug 'early' and headed home.

Saturday morning.  Feeling refreshed.   Chapter Meeting is on the early side around 1000 hrs.  Weather is perfect, Mark Kennedy rolls up on his Iron Steed, Leanne and I jump on Krome and we're headed to the Clancy Saloon with perfect riding temps.  Mama is getting patched in along with Frank's wife (both are Auxiliary), full members Tank and PC (he earned that road name that morning!). We're also having a chapter vote on new officers that I hadn't been thinking about (I've been out of pocket the previous meeting or two).  When the smoke cleared we had a new CO, XO,  Treasurer and Secretary. Godfather has done an awesome job over the years and now handed over the reigns to Halfsack. Gutshot is back in the mix but as XO this go around.  Fallback is now officially the Secretary and Whiskers into the treasurer position.  Silverback continues on as Sargent at Arms.  After we got all that out of the way, Patching Ceremony time!   Mama finally made the decision to join and I'm obviously proud of her!   Once we got all the official Chapter business done, it was time to head home! Most stayed, but I'm headed to home to swap my bike for a cage since we'll be sipping in the afternoon and want to be 100% safe headed home.  Upside is... we've got a pool at the house, it's hotter than hell, and it's calling my name?  SPLASH ...   quick bite .. headed back into the storm.  Refreshed the cooler with cold ones, pick up a butt load of ice and we're headed back.  Saturday is the big night where the attendance quadruples.   At 4pm we've got a flag ceremony where we (CVMA) carry up about a dozen assorted flags, then the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem... and some short speeches.   We're soon off the stage, parking the flags.. and .. that cooler of ice cold beers is calling my name.  It's time for the party to officially start!


Frank has us setup in a pretty nice area, completely shaded under some big oak trees that we're using to our advantage.  Lots of shade, water, adult beverages.. the heat doesn't seem as bad.  But we're soon packing up coolers and headed to the stage area.  Once there, we've got a lot of friends outside of the CVMA rolling in.  This event is not tied the the CVMA; it's 100% open to the public of course.  But for the CVMA is a 100% fit since both are military based.  Now, we're got hours and hours of good music.  Good times with friends and family.   As the sun goes down, the heat is more bearable.  Funny, every hug I gave I heard (you're wet!) ... Hell yes, I was sweating my ass off!

As we did the night before.....     we went against the grain and headed out earlier than normal.   Pound some waters, a soda .. then some chairs and other items and we're off.  It's hard to do knowing the party is still going.  They'll all soon move over to the bonfire area for some close/personal music.  Then back to the campsite where it'll go into the wee hours.  But for me this year, back to my own bed and a good nights sleep.   In the morning I'll head back over for the canopy and any belongings left behind.   WHBC VIII is officially in the rear view mirror for me.

But .. ... Number 9 is on my schedule.  And it's over the 9/11 weekend. Now .. hopefully ... Frank will believe me if I tell him I'm bringing the Big Rig out ....

______________
Funds raised: Posted by Dutch 17 Sep '19

Cash, Checks, Credit Card Sales, Donations made through the Classy WHBC/H4W Donation Page and WHBC Facebook Donations the GRAND TOTAL for this years 8th Annual Wounded Heroes Benefit Concert is: $17,986.00! That is pretty darn good for a FUNDRAISING PARTY IN A HORSE PASTURE!🇺🇲
😊👍
NOW that brings us to $113,986.00 raised for Hope For The Warriors over the past 8 years. PRETTY AWESOME and it would not have been possible without all of your support each year.
2020 & 2021 Dates are already Set:
WHBC IX 9th Annual Wounded Heroes Benefit Concert September 11th & 12th, 2020
WHBC X 10th Anniversary Wounded Heroes Benefit Concert September 10th &11th, 2021
AMERICA👍🇺


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



Next Year!

Comments