Small Town Living - LTD

Friday morning met up with the Sis for breakfast at Glenda's Café here in Greenville.  One of those small old town cafe's many of us grew up with, or for others that they see in the old movies. We've got several of them around me; four quickly come to mind in the county itself. Well, rolled in around 0900 to a full house, waiting for them to clean off the only remaining table and we're quickly sipping some coffee and catching up.   About the time I order this crazy huge breakfast for $8.99, my old buddy Friendlee rolls in and sits a few tables away unaware of me there yet.  Stroll over and catch up and the first thing he's saying is " WOW!  I was just thinking of you and Leanne!"   Hell, I was just thinking of him the other day so sounds about right.  Hadn't seen him in awhile, but he's a cornerstone in our community with his own radio show and all.  

Well, back to my table to get some grub when I get a text from Brother Dick asking about lunch since he's in Lone Oak for the day.  Holy crap; I'm munching this huge meal ("Biker Breakfast on the menu) and thinking ... .guess I'm eating a small lunch?   Next thing I see is the County Sheriff in the restaurant looking like a throwback from yesteryear.  Cool custom holster, looks to be a 1911 .45 in it, jeans .. boots.. you get the picture.  Anyways he's catching up with half the restaurant and finally makes his way over to Friendlee's table.  I'd seen him the week before at The Veteran's Outpost ceremony but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.  I was aware of him as a Constable in the County and voted for him when he ran for Sheriff.  To me, he's the 'real deal.'  Anyway, when it's time to pay the ticket I stop by their table to say goodbye and hopefully introduce myself.. but..    as I get closer, Friendlee is smiling and the Sheriff stands up to shake my hand.  Friendlee tells me he's "told him everything about me".. doooooah!  LOL.  Sheriff introduces himself, and tells me he remembers me from American Iron (Jimi's old shop on the east side of town). He's got two HDs and we're soon swapping stories.  We agree to get together for a future ride and I'm soon leaving with a huge grin on my face; awesome guy.   I have to admit, I didn't see that first encounter going that way...felt like I'd known him for awhile after those few minutes.  Yep ... we've got a great Sheriff in town.

After a quick 2hr break at home, Lucy and I head over to The Buffalo Grill in Lone Oak for a quick lunch with Brother Dick.  Another one of those cool lil places in a town of about 700.  Nowadays there are at least 4 places to eat in this town, so it's come a long way since I moved here over 26 years ago.  Still, schools are small, population is low, and crime is minimal (I never hear about any issues).  I think the cops spend most of their time enforcing the 45mph speed limit on Hwy 69 that runs right though the middle of town.  After an awesome BLT, iced teas, and a bro hug.... we're headed home.

Small Town Living .. I love it... Living the Dream!





Comments