FB Scam!

 Most of us see this crap all the time.   FB Ads that pop up .. you know .. .on a subject that you just talked about with someone or on the phone?   Perfect example.   I was in Mexico last year, left my belt in my room and now... at the airport in need of one, trying not to look like some gangsta' wanna be with my pants falling down around  my ass.   Well, I mention that I need one.. find a leather store at the Cancun airport and buy a nice one.. and .. I'm done.  Well, I thought I was.  Now for the next three days my newsfeed has ads for belts.  Lots of belts.  I actually bought a couple that looked nice.  All legit via the ads and website.  Still,  WTF is with the FB ads...  yeah .. we know 'they' are listening.

Well, I'm a fan of a certain brand of shoes and last month after buying a few pair at fair prices, they show up on my newsfeed for 1/2 or so of that I'd paid.  Now I have to admit... I didn't believe it after going back to the main website I'd ordered.  Checked Amazon.... no sale prices like that anywhere..  so I'm thinking "SCAM!" ...   but .. my nephew messages me about them and tells me he just ordered them and has an email saying all good .. enroute .. etc.   So ....  I make a decsion.  Fuk' it. I go to order a pair...  or two ... okay .... 4.   What normally would cost $50 each is now $49 for 4 pair.. .shipped.  Put it on my CC, save off the info and ... wait.  Deep down I don't believe it ... but.. .lets see. If I didn't order, his  would probably show up two weeks later for $19.99 .. I'll be feeling dumb.  Well, AFTER I do the order I find what I should have located prior. Info on the whole thing is out there and it looks like a scam. The website is less than 1 month old.  On my desktop I can't see the stuff via FB because they apparently used a Java Script that works only on smart phones to redirect to / from the real web sites and spoofs it all.  So, I do some deep searching and find multiple web sites involved.. all... less than 1 month old.  SCAM. I'll wait a week and see.  Well, they have some crazy shipping info with china crap all in the mix.. and finally, shows it went to USPS. My nephew has pointed this all out to me saying "Legit.. .I've got USPS tracking info!" .. but.. then I realize something. HIS tracking number is the same as MINE.  Hmmmmmmmm...  Well, few days later almost two weeks into this...   delivers.  Welll.. something does... in Hawaii.  That's the destination.  So, I contact my CC, contest it and my $49 is credited.  Done.  But .. there is a lesson learned here.

Couple of days ago I see some cool shirts on FB ... but.. too good to be true?  I do a quick search on the seller and ....  yeah .. website is less than two months old   Another one on  my newsfeed... one month old.   Just as I'm about to move on ... the third one looks legit. It's a subsidiary of Alibaba ( huge chinese company) and is 2+ years old.  Fuck it, I'm in. So I order several at $25 each ... save off all the info ... and now... we wait.   Legit? I think so .. I hope so. If not, I'll find a lesson learned in there and ... comment here!

So .. as I type this .. whats my point?  Well...  first thing I always do when I see these ads and something catches my eye.. .I check if it's on Amazon for one.  Usually, it is and 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.  Secondly, if I can't find it anwyere else, check the website for legitimacy (helps being a computer geek).  You'll know real quick if it's a fly by night scam or probably legit.  Then .. save off your info .. order number payment method (screenshot, printer, whatever) .. and remember to canx on your CC if it never shows.  I bet a lot of folks just forget about it and the scammers continue on scamming us . .while sipping umbrella drinks on a beach in Jamacia... or from a sweathouse in Nigeria?

Wish me luck on this order...

Gaudy .. but .. I have my reasons!






Comments

RickkciR said…
Shirts came in, but run small. Lets see how the RMA goes