Injuries...

Another night.. having trouble sleeping again .. weird; not like me..

Had a pretty good workout this evening.... but my neck is killing me.... and yesterday, my wrist gave it up, first time in a long time...... got me to thinking....

Back in '83... I was going 100MPH... Super Strong in the gym, metabolism was cranked up... worked out 2-3 hrs a day... slept 8-9 hrs a day, partied like a fool. Bodyweight... about 235 on a daily basis...

Then... Spring of '85 I put my motorcycle into the pavement.... three flips in the middle of a four lane, my left shoulder was in serious pain. I went from warming up with 225lbs on the bench to crying like a 'wuss with 135 on the bar. Never got my bench back where it was....

Then... Jan '88, while squatting for reps with 365lbs.... my lower back (spine?) gave up the ghost... bad... I've never been able to squat North of 225 since... without laying on the ground for days at a time afterwards.....

Then ... late Friday nite, early '90s, getting a killer workout down in the basement, I tore a ligament in my wrist. I think I was actually in a 'carpal tunnel' issue and the weights just finished it off. Surgery 'fixed' it.. but .. damned if my left wrist's ligaments don't get screwed up sometimes... like yesterday.

Then ... During Desert Storm, played a LOT of volleyball. My right shoulder decided to give in. Haunted me ever since.... weight.. down around 225/230

Then ... '93 time frame, During a TDY, playing basketball.... I found myself laying on the court... face first thinking 'what happened?!?" ... My right Achilles gave out. Complete Rupture . Not pretty ... Never been able to dunk a ball since... weight .. around 240

Then ... '04 time frame. On a diving board, bouncing to do an inward dive.... I'm laying on the bottom of the pool, wondering.. "WTF???" .... My left Achilles popped... Complete Rupture. .. Weight .. around 270

So ... Here I am ...at age 48... carrying more muscle than I ever have ( with my share of body fat.. .too much of it... ) ... and pushing hard in the gym.. making gains..... wondering how far I can take this .. .. this time.... Weight .. 290.

Age Fifty is coming up ...... man .. if I can just stay healthy .. injury free..... maintain all my muscle.... and ... knock out 20 or so lbs of body fat...... maybe.. just maybe.... I'll be in the best shape of my life...... Aug 2010... .. just around the corner. Weight? Who cares... as long as I see the abs... but.. if I was a gambling man..... 250?

Comments