Materialism

Drove the store in my 'new' H2 today to get some gas for the mower.. and got me to thinking......

Recently, I traded in a Solstice/FJ Cruiser ( Both! ) for a late model H2 Hummer. A few days before that , upgraded my '07 1ton Dodge to an '08 F450 so I can pull the big @ss Toy Hauler I bought last year. And a few weeks before that, we got Leanne the G37 she's wanted since '04 ( G35 back then ) . Now, today .. I'll most likely do the craziest.... an Indian Chief motorcycle... brand new, and costs a stupid amount of money.

So, as I 'm driving down the road, all this goes through my mind ( as several people wave at me in my H2 ...... it's got the mojo). Do I buy these to keep up with the Jones? I already knew this answer.. No. Do I do it for status? No. Though that's an interesting angle to consider. I would say that I do it to fulfill some inner need, some connection to my personality. I've got the ability to do these things finally in my life, and I guess it could be summed up as "catching up " for all those years it wasn't an option.

With Jessica almost out of college, a military retirement, living in a low cost area of the country, a well paying position, it just seems too easy sometimes. I don't have 2-5 kids to support. I don't have alimony or child support. I don't have two households to maintain ( though one could argue that one with my daughter in college). It just doesn't seem 'wrong' to acquire items.

That all being said, the other day I had to move the cars out of the carport to get it sprayed ( its CCA on the sides ). Looking at all the cars parked next to each other.. and then looking over to the building where the motorcycle and some other things are parked.... well, got me questioning everything (hence this blog ). I just thought WTF?

Sometimes... the thought of living in a condo with two basic cars for Leanne and I sounds like the ultimate dream. NOTHING to take care of! No five acres .... no ridiculous insurance, or upkeep on a 1/2 doz toys. A simple life... but then... I come back to reality :)

For now.. as long as I 'can' ... I'm going to enjoy this ride. One day, if something unforeseen happened... or I get 'tired' of them ... I'll 'downsize' . I know deep down what my minimum standards are .. and I'm a Long way from them today , but it's nice to know one could 'pull the plug' and live a simple life style.. tomorrow.. if they chose. For now... I'll just scratch my head once in a while, enjoy the fun/ride, and ramble on once in awhile about "WTF? " :)

Comments