New Rider : First Motorcycle

Seems like every week you see someone jump on a Forum or Social Media outlet (ex. FB Group) and ask opinions on whether this or that, is a good "first bike."  The ensuing opinions range from "get a small used metric bike" to " get a big bike!"  Ridiculous.

Bike Rides gone Bad


Anyone with common sense knows, you should get a bike that size wise one can handle, learn to ride, practice .. practice .. practice.. and improve one's skill set.   In a perfect world, we'd ride that for a time period ..   whether that be for a few months... a riding season .. maybe even a few years depending on how many miles one rides.  Then upgrade to the 'next level'.   That level might be a mid size or light weight cruiser.   Then, and only then, after feeling comfortable and becoming a solid rider, consider getting that "bike of one's dreams".  Of course, maybe that first or second bike was?  I mean in reality, egos usually come into play and its "what we ride' rather the the ride .. the experience ..itself.  Sadly, that's backwards.

First problem is, many are in a clique out the gate.  If ''everyone" is on a sport bike....   guess what.  A GXR, 'Busa or Ninja has one salivating.   If one is in an HD crowd, they are thinking Streetglide or Softail!  If one is in an Indian crowd, they are drooling over full size Chiefs.   And even if one has a brain and common sense, group pressure and opinions may push one the wrong direction.  "Don't get the Sportster!  That's a chick bike!".  "Don't get that Indian Scout.. it sucks for long distance!". "A metric? Blasphemy!" 

I don't know about you, but I started out with 'smaller' bikes, and they were lower cost metrics.  First out the gate was a used Kawi' LTD440, sitting in my neighbor's driveway with a For Sale sign on it.  After a few years, moved up to a brand new Kawi' LTD1000.  Few years later, I was on a used Suzuki GL1100.  Those follow on bikes were FAST and Powerful.   Still, I got my feet wet on that smaller 440ci bike and learned the basics. My 4th bike was a 'full size' Kawi' 1500 Classic.   This sucker was heavy and long distance roadworthy, compared to the first 3 bikes.   Seven years later, I moved into the next phase of life; American Iron Full Size cruisers and touring bikes.  It was a natural progression and my riding skill set improved with each bike.  I believe as do many others, this is a preferred type of progression.

But, some jump right into the fray.  Some are talked into that direction by 'experts' or friends who think they are experts.   And for some new riders, they pull it off.  Could I have gone directly to a big bike?  Of course I could have.  Depending on mentors, maturity, and other factors, may have worked out well.  I'm a larger framed guy so what's 'big' to others may not be to me.  But other folks dive right in with disastrous results.   They either end up in a wreck, or never get comfortable with the bike.  Some trade it off realizing they made a mistake.  My opinion is simply most folks never get their skill set where it needs to be because they never learned the basics on a bike they were comfortable on, out the gate.  I mean, how many rides have you been on, where the lead bike took a wrong turn and now is looking to 'turn the group around' and head back the opposite way?  If you want to see a circus, in a normal pack of 10-20 bikes, do a U turn on a 2 lane road .   Usually, only about 1/2 the folks can whip it around seamlessly.   Others are dragging their feet or walking the bike nervously.  Others are doing 3 or 4 ( or more ) point turns.   And there always seems to be one who just about kills themselves and almost drops the bike.   Every f'ing time.   I've seen it!    Folks are either on a bike too big for them in reality or.. .they never developed their skill set correctly on smaller bikes and carried and further developed that skill set on bigger bikes.  Simple as that.

Just as bad, and what actually prompted this is when folks push their beliefs on newbies.  Case in point.  Guy joins a FB group, in this case related to Indian Motorcycles. Here's the actual post
"Thank you for letting me join the group, I am new to riding and am very interested in buying an Indian motorcycle. I really like the 2019 scout sixty but I am afraid that I will grow out of the bike. What are you guys thoughts on this. Everyone I talk to says that, that bike is a beginner bike. I dont want to be upgrading in a a year or so. Thanks for your input. "   Now the kicker is...   he doesn't state his age, his experience level (though we all assume he just got his license?), his size or .. what if he plans on riding around the block or around the country.   But, every imaginable response ensues.  Over 55 comments later he's gotten opinions across the entire spectrum.  Probably the best response was the first: " If your new I would.suggest buying a used motorcycle and take a course. With the Scout in my opinion it will depend on how you are planning to use it. If your going to use it around town and short week end trips great. If your going to be on the highway or planning something longer then a larger one. I have had the Scout & two Chieftains. All great bikes."   But the second response is what causes the problems ..  " Grow out of it? I sat on one at the dealership. My wife came out of the restroom and walked over to me and said " what are you doing sitting on that little thing? You look odd and way to big for it.  That was enough for me. I'm only 5'10" 185. So, if you're maybe 5.'7" or less, it'll probably fit you well. They have plenty of power.  Pretty much like when you see an average size adult on a HD Sportster. A little off."  Huh .. sorry ... 5"10 and 185?   You ain't a big guy.... park your ego.   Follow on comments had guys bigger and a LOT taller than that commenting on how they owned and loved the scout.  Hell, buddy of mine brought sanity to the conversation ..  "I'm 6'8 around 260 and I've owned sportsters great little bikes the one in this pic is a 1000cc it got my ass around."  Point is, don't be manipulated by other's egos and get too big of a bike out the gate.   

I've got a co worker that almost killed himself (and is still partially fucked up from the accident today) from an accident on his first bike.  It was a BIG metric.    But.. shit happens... I went down on my 440 when I hit some sand in a curve.   Still, nothing takes the place of practice, which creates competence and skill, on 2 wheels.

There will always be folks that jump right into the fray as complete newbies on a fully dressed out Ultra or Roadmaster or Goldwing.  Most will 'survive'.  But, I stand by earlier statements.  Get a bike that feels 'good' on you... and usually that's a smaller bike.  Get the bike that makes the most sense.  If you like the Indian Scout or HD Sportster and it feels good.. feels 'correct' to you ...  F' what others say and get it! 

One thing I would preface this all with.  If you 'know' deep down your eventually going to be sitting on a StreetGlide or Chieftain... then make sure your first bike... your 'learner' bike .. is a used bike that you obtain for a fair price.  That way, when you sell it to the next person in a similar situation, you don't lose your ass financially. Maybe you even break even.   Then, go get the bike of your dreams.  At least then you won't be dropping it in parking lots, taking out a fellow rider, or stick it in a ditch ... due to lack of experience.

Or F' it... Just go get a Boss Hoss out the gate and show us all how it's done?




V8 Powered Boss Hoss







Comments