48 Hours of Hospitals

Monday early afternoon, got reminded how fragile our lives are.  With my Heart pounding away at 240 BPM ... it was time to make a decision.

Few weeks ago, was exactly 14 days prior to this past Monday, it first happened.  Well, sort of.  I was sitting at my desk as I am now ....  feeling a notch off; maybe a lil light headed working on some stressful work related items. I suddenly caught myself falling out of my seat and snapped out of it before I face planted onto the concrete floor. My heart was pounding, almost blacked out and then stood up trying to figure out what was going on.  Eventually made it over to my recliner about 30' away and started regrouping.  Leanne brought me over a device we'd purchased just a week prior; personal EKG Device by Kardio Mobile. I soon realize I'm at 120 BPM heart rate, but my EKG seems normal.  Takes me about five or 10 minutes to get calmed down and get my heart rate down to a normal 70.  I'm thinking "WTF just happened!".   Over the next several days it almost happens again a few times,  but I pull out the EKG device and convince myself all is good.  It was until three days ago.


I've had the opportunity to reflect on this all and realize it's been going on most likely for more than two weeks, but rather 14 months. My very first 'spell' was at Daytona Bike Week the day we were departing.  I felt 'off' and refused to get on my bike.  Took me some time to 'get it together' before we headed out.  I remember thinking .. maybe I was hung over, had low blood sugar .. something.  But I'd 'never' felt this way before.  It'd happen again a few times. In the Hill Country last summer one day during a motorcycle event.  A few times Scuba Diving down in a Mexico.  On a plane a couple of times.   I was starting to think I was developing 'anxiety' issues.   My heart would race, I'd be short of breath, and I'm wondering 'what just happened?'  Even went to the Doc with my concerns for a full workup. Nothing. Nada.  Clean bill of health.

Then this past Monday comes along.  Been working in the office and taking a break after lunch in my recliner when all the sudden it happens all over again.  My heart is racing, feel like I'm going to pass out and I'm starting to realize ... we've got a problem.  Leanne races over with the EKG device and it's all over the map as I'm trying to get a solid record-able reading.   After 3 tries I sort of give up but one thing is jumping at me .. it's been reading 240 BPM the whole time.  I get up and switch rooms trying to regroup.  Leanne is once again (for two weeks now!) trying to convince me to go to the hospital.  After upwards of 10 minutes, I can't shake it.  One more EKG test and I'm still at 240 BPM.  I'm now officially 'scared.'.  Car started, work my way over to the passenger side and we're off.  Leanne is pushing the Hemi into the higher RPMs as we're rolling, I turn on the emergency flashers and for the first time ...   I'm realizing how bad this might be.   For the next 10+ miles she keeps it under 3 digits, rolling up on car after car.  Amazingly each and everyone one of them moved to the shoulder for us.  We roll through three red lights, everyone giving us the right away.   Gotta' love the South ... that doesn't always happen in many areas of the country.  Soon, we're rolling up to Hunt Country Medical Emergency and off to the next phase. Looks like some of the places on the news.  They've got a army style medical tent setup outside, few people with face masks doing 'something' but Leanne has to go in to get help. What I've been also concerned about up to know, I may have to deal with.  I wanted nothing to do with something like this during the Wuhan Virus Day bull shit, but here we go.  It's potentially 'Covid time' ...  into what I'm perceiving is going to be a mess.

They hand me a face mask, wheel me past full room after room (well, more like cubbys with curtains) and get me into a hallway bed with some equipment.  We've got a full house here.   Are they all accidents or Virus related?  I tell them what I know and they begin hooking me up.  The guy working on me is staring at the screen and I can tell he doesn't like what he sees.  Next guy walking by, he points it out and I hear "get him in the big room ...now."  Crap...   it's starting to get real.  They roll me into what now looks to be main room where they probably do surgery.   Then two .. three . .four..   lost count how many people are in there.  Young guy walks in, obviously the stud Emergency Room Doc, calm as can be and takes control of the situation.  My heart is still at 240 and I'm assuming I'm having a heart attack. He attempts to explain it all but all I came away with is they had to get my heart rate down, they didn't have time to sedate me and they are going to shock my heart.  Doesn't totally make sense to me at the time, but what else am I supposed to do but mutter 'okay.'.    I'm laying there wondering how the hell that's all going to work out, will it be a low shock, will it be for a second .. whatever.  I'm waiting and looking, assuming, I'll see someone pull out some paddles like you see on TV when I hear the doc say 'clear the bed' .. and then .....  BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Jesus Christ!!!!!   I screamed that ...  and Motherfucker .. and Fuck.. and a few other things I'm sure,  as I'm wondering if that jolt of energy from head to toe which had my legs in the air had lifted me completely off the table.  Son of a Bitch!!!!   If you can imagine getting hit with lighting and surviving.....  guessing that's what it would feel like.  Immediately, they announce my BPM is down to 90 and I swear... I could have sat up and gone home at that moment.  I suddenly felt normal .. cured!  I'm laying there wondering what happened when they explained they had attached two devices on my sides (duh).  Now the debrief where they tell me how dangerous it all was, couldn't believe it'd been at 240 BPM for about a half hour, able to walk and talk, etc, etc.  Guess I wasn't supposed to be carrying on a normal conversation after the Zap(!) either.  But.. here we are and I'm thinking I'm gong to be released. Nope... the fun has just begun.

ER doctor has moved on .. his work is done.  New doc in the room; Dr Hassan / Cardiologist.  They are moving me to a different area of the hospital to do some exploratory stuff to see how the ol ticker is doing.  I've been assuming it's probably time for a stent or something.  Soon, I'm on a table, they are briefing and prepping me.  Male nurses are making jokes, shaving my chest area to minimize the future pain of removing all these stick on gadgets.  They hand the clippers to a female nurse whom is now shaving my groin area as the Plan B entry point if they can't get through my wrist vein.  I'm waiting for the jokes but they never come .. at least while I'm awake?   I believe it's called a Cardiac Catherization where they numbed my wrist, give me a lil bit of anesthesia (but I remained awake).. anyways .. they enter through the wrist and onward to check out the heart.  After what seemed a short period of time...  done.  My pipes are clear.  Heart looks great.  All is 'good'.  Well, no.  Doesn't explain why I'm in the hospital.  So that now means I'm getting shipped off to a Heart Hospital for the next phase.  They park me in ICU for several hours while I wait.. and wait .. and wait.  Eventually two young ladies that together don't weigh what I do.. are carting me out to their ambulance and away we go... bumping and bouncing down the Interstate to Medical City Hospital in Dallas.  For some reason, I'm amazed by this team.  One in the back with me isn't but 24, and the driver doesn't seem much older and is also a full time Asst Principal in Lone Oak.  Hour later after some great conversations....   we've arrived.  The two tiny girls literally slide my fat ass into my new bed, and off they go.  Amazing.  Did I mention this new hospital is modern and nice?  No more tiny TV, got a nice big 50 something flat screen.  I can do this.

Morning comes and my new Docs are introducing themselves.  The rock-star of this place will turn out to be Dr Sanchez.  He's got a cool accent; he's originally from Puerto Rico.  I've never seen a bedside manner like this guy has, in my 59 years on this earth. This guy gives a sh*t and it shows.  Thinks through everything he's going to say and is thorough.  Anyways, we're soon off to the operating room so he can find what's causing my heart to go into AFib, and tells me there is a 90% chance he can fix this.   This time they are going in through the groin area, will knock me out but most likely wake me up a notch during the procedure as they are determining areas of the heart to cause the AFib.  If it's a single point, fixable.  If it's a lot of multiple points... apparently not.   I find myself in an operating room with a crew of about 1/2 dozen nurses that all work together daily as a single.   The anesthesiologist is pretty nice and runs me through the normal questions and then .. . it's time. As always, within what seems seconds.. I'm out. ..   some point later I'm coming to  .. they are talking with me .. and my heart is racing.  They tell me I'm at 260 BPM .. it's part of the process .  I'm looking over at a huge 70' flat screen and I can see what they see.  My heart racing.  A huge map of the internals where he's see all 'electricals' of the heart that he's navigating.  Columns of numbers..  ..     I'm starting to freak a lil because of the heart rate ... they are assuring me it's all part of the process.. and then .. out again.  Soon afterwards, back in the room thinking .. woohoo .. we're done!   Dr Sanchez sits down with me and tells me .. they couldn't do anything but exploratory.  He found several areas in the heart kicking off the AFib so he couldn't do the fix.  Next step is an MRI for the heart. Assures me all will be good and .. it's time for lunch.

I remember when Jim Farley was at this hospital years ago; he was amazed at the menu.  Have to admit, I was a lil impressed as well.  For Hospital food.....  not bad! Not great .. but ...   better than I've ever had.  Each day, I'll get these huge blue Cali' Prawns as an appetizer.  Today for lunch I'm opting for Filet Mignon.   They even had truffle fries.   Hey, It's the lil things?


Few hours later, it's time for the MRI.  Quick P' stop before the wheel me out in the chair to the destination and we're off.  I'm soon loaded into this tube that I barely can get my shoulders into as they slide me in with crap on my chest, hips strapped down.  I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm really feeling catastrophic.  Guess I'm worried my chest is going to go back into AFib and all that.  But, the tech has given me a call button in my left hand so I'm good.  When I got an MRI last fall for my back, the headphones had loud music which helped a lot. It was tight quarters and took over an hour as well, but had zero issues. This time, I've got headphones on again, but the purpose is to hear the instructions throughout the next 90 minutes. No tunes.  So, they slide you in and it begins.  I swear every minute you hear " Breath In .. Breath Out... Hold your breath" .. Each time is like 20 seconds.  Few times was closer to 30.  Towards the end... as long as you could.  And I'm feeling claustrophobic!  This breathing shit is getting weird.  I want to hit that button a few times, but I keep telling myself ... we're just going to have to start all over . .and besides... everyone else obviously does this so 'man up!' About an hour in, we've got a problem  After all the IVs and water intake... I've gotta' piss!   I can't get it off my mind and it's making my claustrophobia worse.. so .. hit the button. She's like "are you sure? "  Hell yes!   When she slides me out.. she's like " I've all this equipment on you ...  instead, can you use the urinal (basically a plastic pot to piss in)?"    Sure.. why not... had to several other times the last 24 hours .. my ego was parked at the door when I got to the emergency room the previous day.  But I can't see shit with all the crap.  So, she takes matter into her own hands and away we go.  Damned.  I wonder if they all sit around the break room making jokes about this shit, comparing notes?  Who knows ....  Soon, I'm sliding back into the tube and relaxed and comfortable.  By the time the next thirty minutes  passes, I'm claustrophobic again, need to piss again ..but ...  it's over. Finally.   Hey .. just in time for dinner!  Did I mention how awesome those shrimp were?

Doc didn't make it to my room that day to discuss the MRI, so ...  another night in the hospital.  Dr Sanchez gives his patients his cell number (who the hell does that??!) so I'd texted him asking about the MRI.  He immediately calls and tells me we'll connect up at 0600 or so the next morning.  Damned.. I love this guy.   Communication ... what a concept.   Well.. 0600 comes and goes but by 0730, he's in my room and we're discussing options.  I'm assuming I'll go home, take meds for the next few months .. and .. we move on.  They have a  ICD Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (think pacemaker) option but it's the last thing I want.  Of course, most everyone I know that is aware of what is going on and familiar with the thing is telling me to get the implant.  But I'm 59 and too young for this crap, right?  So, we have our chat on the subject.  He gives me all the pros and cons.  I'm listening but waiting for my turn.  When I'm up, I'm asking when I can go home with the meds' option.   Well, they push your BP down and they thought it was low the previous night.  Going to keep me one more night for observation. Crap.  I want to get home.  I've got work to do and it's waiting for me.  But, is what it is.  My next question is related to what are the time frames if I come back in a week or two for the ICD option?  How long will I be in for surgery and recovery.  I get a strange look from him and he basically tells me ...   If I did it today, I'd be home before dinner.  WTF?   Then the conversation is basically about... Isn't it better to have it and not need it, then not do it and maybe die in 2 months because you are out by yourself and unable to get help?  Hmmmmmmmm.     F' it.  Lets do it.

Within an hour, they are wheeling me down, back to the same operating room, same crew, diff' anesthesiologist.  Similar brief except this time I won't be waking up during the procedure.  A rep from the pacemaker company is on hand and tells me he'll be up to see me later an go over things.   I make a joke along the lines of  "am I getting the blue-tooth model to connect to my app?" ...  apparently that comes out this fall.  Crap.  I get the 'old technology'.  They put the mask on me .. tell me I might smell something diff' , it's the anesthesia.  Within seconds .. I'm out. I wake up a short time period later in the recovery room and I honestly have no clue where the hell I'm at.  After a few groggy moments ...   watching nurses here and there ...   it all comes back to me.  Someone realizes I'm alive in the corner, brings me a glass of ice with some spoon feeding, and it's all over finally (well.. sort of ...  the ordeal itself).  Once I've got some water in me, I'm wheeled up, able to walk over an get in bed ... and I'm just waiting for the rep to show up and go over the equipment with me.  But.. it's lunch time and you know what I'm ordering right?  Main entree and.. SHRIMP!  Hour later, a guy rolls in with a fancy computer like setup, pops open the screen, sets a device on my chest to communicate with my new embedded toy, gets an EKG, shows me the screen, explains all the doo dads' .. and .. .we're done.  I've got a new bedside deal that can communicate with this thing and I'm 'cured'.   Hour later the paperwork is done and they are wheeling me to the exit.  My chariot has arrived and my awesome wife is ready to take me home. 

So, I here I sit getting my thoughts 'on paper.'.   Chest is sorer than hell. I still feel a notch light headed which is weird, but not really freaked out.  Can't believe this damned thing is in my chest, but in the big picture I guess it's no big deal. Besides some back issues, I've been fairly healthy my whole life.  So, to me this is a big deal.  But of course it really isn't.  I know folks that have had their chests cracked open for heart operations.  My wife has been dealing with RA for 25 years.  Got friends with COPD.  Got friends that have been accidents and will never ride again. Some have other issues with hips and knees that will never ride again.  Lost friends and family to cancer.  People across the country/world over the last few months have succumbed to the Wuhan Virus / Covid-19 nightmare.  My situation; they tell me it was a close call Monday and had I not got to the hospital, the outcome may have been different.  But, I'm here now and pretty sure, after 48 hours all that BS is behind me now.  And I have to admit due to the COVID BS, I did NOT want to be near a hospital since I've been healthy up to this point.   But .. it's all good now

48 hours.  Damned that flew by quick.  And that lil' $89 device off Amazon by Kardio? Possible Lifesaver














Comments