A NEW Guinness Record!

Got to ask.  WTF is it about the Guinness BS all the time?  I see it here and there, everywhere.  Most people don't give a rats ass, period.  They even say it.  Hell, most solid / hardcore riders, don't even participate riding in large groups with folks they've never ridden with.  And these Guinness rides aren't rides. They just putt around the corner for 4 miles (there is a minimum) at a slow speed, and actually called a 'parade.'.  Except, they aren't a parade.  There isn't some group of folks on the sidelines in the stands waving you on.  You aren't going down city blocks with folks hanging off the balconies.  Usually a route that 'works' logistically is chosen, folks are lined up, set up with minimal spacing, slow speeds, counted, then brought back to the same location (usually, but not required).  Then, you submit all the BS paperwork to Guinness, and after all the high dollar fees paid .. folks get to apply for a certificate to hang on their "I love me wall."  

Kicker is, if you create one of these events and post it in a large forum of say 20,000 riders ....   19,900 of them actually couldn't give a shit.  So,when the marketing process begins, trying to get momentum and mind-share is a bitch. For those that read this Blog, they know I've been involved in several of these.  The first was up in MN back in 2016 for Indian Motorcycles.  I thought it was a joke; seriously.  I got sucked into helping as a Road Guard (about 20 of us), but from the get go when I realized it was a big circle in and out of a parking lot and low speed, I didn't care.  However, I was up there for a week and it was a small part of my time in the big picture.  Funny part is .. this was a HUGE DEAL to many folks.  I guess we're all wired differently.  It was advertised as an event that would have upwards of 500 bikes and there were barely half that amount approximately.  After the fact, I opted not to get the certificate offered by the Guinness group.  Like I said, I didn't give a shit.  In 2017, the whole thing repeated; barely got a few more bikes in.  Not sure I got that one but apparently a lil over 270 folks think differently.

Fast Forward to 2018 and HD is attempting the same thing.  Now, I just said I don't care.  I don't.  I didn't.  BUT....   what got my attention was for this one, the charity the funds raised would go to, was the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association.  I had just joined that year with the CVMA.  Secondly, our chapter was headed up there to participate.  Third, it was literally only 70 miles away from my home where it was being held.  Fourth, gave me a reason to break out the HD and get the dust off.  Finally... the existing record was 10x (TEN TIMES) the Indian event I'd been at ... and they were on track to beat it.  They had Adam Sandavol leading the charge, with Paris HD backing him.    Fast forward to the day of the event; this thing was HUGE.  Staging 2500+ bikes became a challenge.  Seeing the sea of bikes spread out across multiple areas was pretty cool.  But then, getting everyone lined up, in place and moving...a fucking nightmare. By the time this was over, I came to the conclusion it was a joke and I'd never participate in one of these damned things again. On a positive note, $35,000 was raised for the CVMA with 100% of the funds raised got to charity with no overhead BS costs.  THAT alone, made it worthwhile to myself and most others.

Soon after that was the Hot Springs Rally in October of 2018.  I caught wind that Rob Gregory of Gregory Polaris had just at a dinner there, committed to KRUSHING the existing record.   He pointed out the existing record was a low number and it'd be a simple one to beat with 300+ bikes.  I think he might have said it could be done in their sleep?  If he didn't, I'll say it!  You know, he was right and I agreed with him.   With his dealership's popularity, a large IIRA and IOA base in the region, incredible riding around there and the fact he was leveraging an existing event that had been going on since 2014  I knew it'd be a simple thing to do. Now, getting say ... 750 bikes or .. even 1000 .. would be a bitch.  I've seen this all first hand. I've blogged about it.  I mean there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of HDs on the road, and we failed back in '18 to the beat a record of just over 2k bikes.   People in the big picture don't give a shit about these things.  However, this go around I decided right there and then I was in.  I mean Hot Springs is only a couple hundred miles away. Some of my best friends, live there.  I also consider Rob Gregory to be in my tight circle and wanted to support him.  And as many know, I wanted to see that ridiculously small existing record #, get kicked to the curb. KRUSHED.   All that,  we did and a year later in October 2019 at the Gregory 500+ with 651 Bikes set a new world record.  Couple of things that come to mind thinking back on that.  First, there were over 700 on the first go around but we had to do a second run and 50+ folks said "fuck it" and left (bikes were getting hot, etc). Secondly, Rob had a LOT of folks in the background and by his side helping with this event. Couple of examples. Tamara Smith donated a LOT of her time putting together info/facts/files/documents for people to keep info flowing.  Myself, I teamed with Donnie Donihue and others to create an IIRA Regional Event that brought in an additional 100 bikes.  This was true teamwork and without all that effort of folks and Rob Gregory .. there would probably have been 300-350 bikes in that day.   Me personally, I had a great time at our Regional Event.  Great Time seeing Rob and folks.  Doing that 'record parade ride', didn't trip my trigger, but seeing 800+ people there, with 651+ bikes after that fact, KRUSHING the record... well .. have to admit .. was pretty 'kool.   However, I don't care to ever repeat it anytime soon!

Now.. back to the point of all this.  What is it with all the "how many bikes can we get" BS?  I've said from day one, it's about the ride.  The people.  The good times.  Over in Europe there is an obsession to beat the record.  Hell, I think they could / can / will.  Had it not been for the Wuhan Virus BS, they might have done it next month. Still, they are planning on 2021, doing an 'unofficial' run at it.  And you know... that's cool in my book.  I mean, if you line up say 750 Indian Motorcycles ..  roll them down the road 5, 10.... 100 miles .. have it on video ...   how bad ass is that?  Who cares if some dweeb with a clicker charging 10k was there?   Australia was on track to have 400 or 500 next month but again.... the Chinese shit derailed that.   There are others that are obsessed with this number and focus on it, but .. who honestly gives a shit? I can tell you that 99% of all riders don't give a shit. Most riders just want to be around their fellow tribe members.  Ride with folks they enjoy being around.  Hang with their Brothers and Sisters on Steel Horses.  Simple as that.

Guinness?  Fuck Guinness ...  

psssstt... did I mention I got the 2019 Record Certificate?  Go Figure! Hahaha




Comments