GoFundMe


Here we go again.  I hate to say this, but most of these make me scratch my head.   I’ve donated to a few where they made sense to me.  Sometimes tragic things happen to folks when they least expect it. Before they are able to get somewhere financially and prepare accordingly.  Sometimes, to folks that had some really back luck.   But ….

Lets go look at the George Floyd situation as an example gone awry.   How much was that one eventually? Well as of June 2020 .. “George Floyd's GoFundMe accounts have raised over $13.7 million for his family ... and counting. Two of George Floyd's siblings have posted GoFundMe fundraisers asking for help to pay for the family's travel and legal expenses and to support Floyd's children following his death.”    Think about that one for a minute.  The guy was supposedly a crappy dad.   A felon. A drug user. And eventually died, right or wrong, after his actions put him in a certain situation.  But come on… 13.7M?   WTF?!?!? This is better than a LOTTERY!  I also remember the Soldier down in Ft Hood.  I know of some folks that pushed that GoFundMe for their own agenda.  As for the recipients, what was all that money used for after they located the killer?? They pushed for $100k and raised over $350k.  WHY?  She didn’t have any children.  She had life insurance via the military.  What happened to all that? Hell, people are STILL contributing.   Okay .. . enough of that…. Just trying to make a point….

Here's why I’m posting this; what brought it about.  I see where someone’s son has asked for folks to contribute to a GoFundMe with a target of $7500. The verbiage in this GoFundMe (edited out certain parts) “ my mom, xxxx, lost her husband, xxx, to the sudden onset of respiratory illness. xxxx her constant companion, and their financial provider. In addition to grieving xxxx’s passing this holiday season, xxxx is also facing an uncertain future with at least a 60% loss in monthly income. Any donation to this fund will help my mom to pay for the unexpected expenses related to my dad’s final wishes and to cover her bills while she is recalibrating her budget.”   Now, I sort of feel like a prick even writing any of this .. but …   let’s step back for a second.

The gentleman above in question passed away at age 74.  He served this country for many years and retired from the USAF.  He served in another capacity as a ‘contractor’ making good money.  The picture of the two of them on the GoFundMe page has a Class A Motorhome behind them ($$$).   Am I missing something here?  At what point do we as Financial Providers be held accountable to do this right?  To make sure we take care of those we leave behind?  

Up until this year, I’ve carried a large amount of Life Insurance to take care of my spouse in case I pass away before she does.  But, as of recent, I’m letting these Term Life policies lapse since they are no longer needed.  If I die tomorrow, I’ve set things up well enough for my wife to carry on without me. Well enough to put me in the ground without taking out a loan or having a GoFundMe.  

Now here’s the other side of this coin. I’m guessing the ‘son’ that created the GoFundMe may not even know his parent’s financial situation?  Maybe it’s just the normal thing people do now to get a lil plus up to help with burial expenses???  I mean .. with a target of $7500, what is that going to do in the big picture?  Well, it’s about the cost of a funeral.  

I just no longer understand all these fund raisers for someone every time we have a death.  We all have a responsibility to get our finances in place to ensure those that rely on us financially are not screwed over if we pass on.  Simple as that. 

Don’t even get me going on lack of Life Insurance… I’m blogged about that one before.

LIFE INSURANCE Post

Comments