Mexico? Get Tested!

Just got back from a great Vaca' in the Rivera Maya at the Iberostar Parasio Grand. We were supposed to go there back in August for my 60th, but they were shutdown for Covid.  They reopened  several months ago, so they were back on our radar.  Brother Dick and his bride had to canx back in August since he was literally in a Covid Hospital up in Minnesota, but they had a credit awaiting them.  Since Holly's bday was coming up, we zero'd in on mid January and made it happen.  BUT.....

A week or so before depart, CDC changed the rules on us.  We had to have a COVID tests to return on the 26th ( the first day of the new rule) and a lot of folks traveling that way were squirming.  Well, I've got a rockstar travel agent I was using on this trip and they informed me that the Iberostar folks would take care of it all at no cost to us.  To make sure we were 'gold', we all four got tested a few days BEFORE heading to Mexico (what if!?) and with our negative results, we headed that way last week.

The Grand is one of my favorite AIs in Mexico, and I couldn't wait.  We knew from our last trip wearing of masks onsite was NOT mandatory, so no concerns.  Yet a lot of people on Social Media had concerns; my thought for them was ... stay home!  Well, we headed out, things were 'normal' compared to my last trip and once we got in our Private Transportation and on the road, it was masks off and kick back.  What I didn't expect was how 'quiet' the resort was.  They were at about 20% vacancy, which was fine by me. Never had a problem getting a spot by the pool, a spot on the beach, a drink or food.  What I was there for. Next door the Maya was open and the Davis' had extended their vacation from a diff' resort to this one, and we'd see them for a few evenings as a bonus. Ariba!

Still, to mix it up we headed to Playa del Carmen one day, and Cozumel another .  They were 'open for business' and we had a blast.   Three days prior to leaving we got our latest COVID tests done, and as always happens we were soon on a plane headed home.  I'm already scheming on our future trips but we did get one surprise.  The day we were leaving noticed sanctions are getting kicked up again down there.  Really makes me feel for the locals trying to make a living.  This has been brutal on them with the reduction in tourism.  We heard a few stories while there; I can't imagine.  But of course, many here in the US have gone through some serious pain as well.

 Well, yesterday we headed to the airport to find it the quietest I've ever seen it.  Our plane was probably only 10% full when we go on it, but the good news is everything flowed smoothly with all our paperwork on the COVID crap.  Soon at DFW, we all loaded up, dropped the close friends off .. and soon home.

I'm beat.  Really beat.   And ... looking at the calendar...... for the next one

 





Dicks' Dive Bar!

Cozumel

Ferry View at Playa Del Carmen


Hey now!

Da' Boyz

Beach time at the Grand 

View from my Room at the Grand 

Familia!

I expected them to be larger :)





Our Arrival on day one


Comments

Rick said…
Sure glad we waited to go. Had a blast. We avoided the drama show that we would’ve experienced 5 years ago. JS
RickkciR said…
Street Tacos and cheap cerveza. No Bloody Marys. That's what you would have experienced. This trip, you got to be treated like a King, Ms Holly like a Queen. Lobster, Shrimp, Steaks, Bloody Marys', Champagne... yeah.. it was a goooood time!