Bike trip to Alexandria Louisiana JAN22

 Aaaaahhhhhh.. what a weekend!   Just wrote about it here from a  >> "CVMA" perspective << .  

Chief and I had a blast!  Brother Dick was supposed to make it but he's got seals on his forks leaking and his RM is in the shop, so just the two of us headed south on Friday.  We've been chatting about it all for weeks and it finally came to fruition. The weather was starting to look bad so Chief talked me into leaving a day early, thank god!   Saturday was cold AND windy ... gusts up to 50mph .. so, leaving Friday was brilliant.  Three hundred miles with sunshine and 70s; Score!  I was a dumass' and didn't map it all out ahead of time knowing it as a simple '2 lane' scoot to LA, but my GPS tried to spin me around a few times; grrrrrr.  I'm really starting to dislike it.  Need to get back to my old school way of planning routes.

Mapped

Let's Roll.  Look like a fool, but .. warm!

Well, Friday we took off around 10 and headed to Lone Oak for fuel.  When we pull up, looks like we have someone waiting for us.  I don't recognize him but never know.  He walks over, says good morning and we're talking to a younger Vet who's pissed off at the VA and glad to see us to let off steam?  Anyways, we tell him where we are headed, asks if he can ride with us to Mineola and we're like 'sure, of course.' .  Well as we're pulling out, he pulls out first and takes the lead.  Huh ...  okay.  I tuck in behind him and the race is on.  This young fucker grabs some throttle and we're quickly doing 85mph leaving Lone Oak.  He settles back to around 79 or so .. and we're soon passing 2 - 3 cars/trucks at a time.  WTF?  Lol.  Well, the old boys keep up with him the whole way until he hits his flashers and we pull over with him.  "Want to stop by my place for some beers?" we get asked but we're somewhere to be ... so wave and we're off.   Around lunch time, we pull into Whataburger for some grub and time to kick back; we've got nothing but time today.  I ask about military discount and we end up with a 50% discount; score!  My kinda' place.. and that double bacon cheese burger with spicy/sweet bbq sauce was pretty awesome too?   Well, back on and around Lufkin we grab Hwy 63 East and we are dead headed for the LA border.   This part of Tejas is beautiful with all the tall Pine Trees all the way to the border.   Once there, I'm surprised that the view is changing quickly.  From here to Alexandria on this particular rode, lets just say it looks like a diff' 'standard of living' .   No big deal, but was really noticeable in contrast.  Hmmmmm..   We pass Ft Polk which I've never been to and soon, roll into town.   One thing I like right away is they have roundabouts which are awesome for keeping the flow of traffic moving.  I pull up to the Marriott Courtyard, head in to check in.. .and .. they don't have our reservations.  Huh?  She's like you sure you aren't over at the Town Suites (literally next door).  No... I always stay at courtyards I tell her.  Well......   ummmmmm...  we are next door. LOL.  I remember now they came up a notch cheaper so made them there.  Whoops!    Soon, we're checked in, we eye the beer in the cooler and the girl at the desk like 'really?  Don't do that .. they are too much!" ...  Turns out they are $5 each....  she apparently doesn't travel much .. .. lol.  Two please!   Up to the rooms, time for some chow.

We decide to stay off the bikes assuming we're going to pound some drinks, first night out.  About 2-3 blocks away is a Chilis so we hoof it that direction taking a short cut across a small field ... but ...  there is a gully with flowing water... grrrr.  Long away around and we're getting closer. At the halfway mark, I spot a Panda Buffet....  takes me less than a minute to convince the Chief to head there instead.  Looked like a shit hole outside and thought it be great to start our trip memories at a hole in the wall.... and it is.  But.... no alcohol.  And some white trash in there (trust me .. if you'd sat next to whom we did.. you'd say the same!) .   Well, the food is edible, I get me some seconds ... they must have had five different shrimp dishes...   and some it's pretty good. Even grabbed some sushi.  And.. entertainment.  You know the folks I whined about?  Grandma, Mom and Boy (must have been about 17) .. all watching videos on their phones, talking loud about it all .. from the moment we sat down to the time we left.  Sigh.   Headed out with a full belly, over to the Albertsons grocery store next door grabbed some .......  adult beverage ... for the evenings and back to the hotel, walking past the Courtyard that wouldn't have us to the Suites.   Quick change up to get comfortable... then.. headed up with my Forester to BS with the Chief... for an hour or so... yeah right...   3 hours later, 1/2 that bottle gone ....   calling it a night.

Gumbo!

Saturday morning, downstairs to get some chow.  Weak breakfast but hey .. beats getting on the bike and running around.  We're debating what time to head out and decide to move out around 1130 or so.  There is a VFW 2 miles away so thinking.. grab a beer or two, then 4 more miles to the meeting.  Sounds like a good game plan so we mount up as the temps are starting to drop from upper 50s and head out. Two point something miles later, we're parked in front of a Pentecostal meeting room/building, with a tall flap pole flying Old Glory .. but .. no VFW.  Right address, no VFW.  Guessing it's closed many moons ago.  As luck will have it, around the corner is an American Legion; score!   But... empty parking lot.  Wind is picking up a lil, another degree or two of temp has dropped.  Chief says 'lets head to the meeting spot' and off we go.   Find ourselves riding through a rural neighborhood .. wondering if the GPS is messing with me when we pull up on the site with dozen cars and a motorcycle.  Found it!   Local Commander is walking by as we dismount so we know we've found the right place. As I wrote about it all here  (CVMA MTG)     we spend the next several hours inside with some good folks, the LA State SR is on hand, Regional SR is on hand, 100 or so LA members ..... and the place inside is pretty nice overall.   I've found my Buffalo Trace and Yuengling beer so I'm content.  Gumbo rocks.  I drop $20 on a 50/50 raffle that I never win ...and we enjoy the meeting.   We're soon out the door and headed back to the Hotel.  Half a dozen bikes are hauling ass in front of me so I grab some throttle and chase them down.  Chief and been sipping Sodas and Waters so he was a notch calmer.... lol.  Five minutes later, we're pulling up to the Hotel and we arrange a few chairs downstairs by the non-working Fireplace and Big Screen TV for our presence.  Put some comfys on, grab our liquor and mixers and next few hours, enjoying some more time together.  By the time the night is over we'll have the guy behind the counter BSing with us, a young former Marine and his mom are sharing their stories and Chief and I have picked up where we left on the previous night.   Still, by 2100 hrs or so .. it's party's over.  That Forrester is gone (whoops!), his JD is almost empty (whoops!) .. and headed upstairs to chat with mama. Crappy nights sleep and Sunday is here.  My head hurt.

Another crappy breakfast (okay .. it wasn't that bad.  But it was nothing to brag about!), got the cobwebs shook off and by 1000 hrs., we're rolling.  When we loaded up, it was 39deg and chilly.  But once we're rolling have to admit even though it was only 40deg.. wasn't bad and was bearable.  We'll roll about 120 miles before we pull off  just south of Shreveport and .... no premium fuel. Head next door and .. no premium fuel. Fuk.  Quick piss break and head to I-20 by the Stateline for a stop at Loves truck stop. I do this route often and have the damned thing memorized.  The fuel issues, they have an Arbys so ... pull the plug for a half hour and eat n' BS.  While we're donning our gear I notice a guy admiring our bikes, standing in front of them.  Few moments go by , I look up and he's still standing there.  This must go on for almost five minutes so I ask him something like "do you ride?" .. when I also notice the truck keys in his hand. I've been standing by my bike .. next to the door of his truck the entire time.  All he had to say was 'excuse me' but I think he was too scared of the 'bikers?" .. LOL .. Anyways .. apologized... laughed about it.. all god.  We're off!

We've got less than 100 miles to go before we hit 69 to head north .. and I'm cold.  I'm colder now .. with the temps almost 90 .. and drinking a coffee than I was when we stopped; guessing my core temp has dropped.  Takes about twenty minutes to get back into the groove and we are soon scooting at 75-80 down I-20.   Temps continue to rise and by the time we get to the QT on Hwy 69, it's 52 degrees.. heat wave!   Top off the tanks, BS with two other vets that walk up to us to BS after seeing our back patches .. and we're soon off on the final leg.  By the time we get home, it's 54 deg coming down the driveway, got a smile on my face .. and .. another great trip in the books!

Friday


Friday night .. yes!


Friday Night



Saturday Night



Sunday road trip


Brrr

Comments