Jeep Grand Wagoneer

 I've been driving Jeeps (mostly) since 1986.  The CJs and Wranglers get the most attention and are usually the most fun (top off, big tires, off road, etc.) but my main workhorse to date has been the Grand Cherokee. 

My first was back around 2000 when I got a limited version after retiring from the military.  Put a 100k miles on that and traded it off for a Dodge Ram 4x4.  That Grand Cherokee was awesome as a Limited 4x4 model.  My only regrets were that it didn't have a V8, sunroof and leather interior.  I would never make that mistake again. Who knows, maybe I would have put 200k miles on it otherwise?  Fast forward to 2012 and we picked up a '13 model with the "Overland" badge.  This one had the Hemi and was fully loaded.  Put about 55k miles on that before I traded up to a '17 with the "Summit" package.  This was the luxury version.  There was an SRT option and one with a Hellcat (yes .. I had considered them) .... but I was getting 21mpg on the highway with awesome performance  and loving life.   Now with 105k miles on the odometer, I was debating.  Do I get a new '22 model with all the cool electronics in some high end package... or ... keep it? Or do I get a Wrangler with a 392 Hemi?   Or a bad ass 1 ton Dodge truck?  Well a week ago I'd decided to keep it. Bring it in for a 100k mile service (all the fluids), refresh the brakes and plan on new tires to get another easy 50k on it .. but....

Few years ago I saw they were planning on bringing back the Grand Wagoneer model. Back in the early 90s this thing was the shit.  It was awesome and would have loved to have one.  Teasers were out but didn't see much out there.  I showed mama a few pics of what was to be and she wasn't a fan.  I was.  Then last week two things happened.  First, on the way back from MS we came up on one and I followed it for a few miles checking it out.  Lil ' bigger than I needed .. but...  got me thinking.  Then when we got home a commercial on TV came on.  I must have rewound that a half dozen times to drool over what I was seeing.  Few days later mama' says multiple times "you know you want it. .. you know you are going to get one."  Well, I've learned over the last several decades that's code for "Do What You Want!" .. LOL  ... so .. I headed to Jeep.com and 'built' one ..   and learned a few things.  First there is a Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer.  Without figuring out what the diff' is, went right to it.  Then I realized there is a Series I, II, and III.  So, without figuring out what the diff was, went to the high end and selected the few options left to add.  Then I got the six figure sticker shock.  But... wtf.  I then continued clicking, got a fair trade in value for the '17 .. .and the next click took me to models avail in my area.   To make a long story short, 45 miles up the road at Bonham Chrysler, my new vehicle was enroute.  A few emails back and forth and we negotiated a price with the agreed upon trade in ... and now have to wait.  It's enroute.  Supposedly at a train yard.   Well.. crap .. this could take weeks or months ... oh well.. time to wait.  I put a teaser on Social Media and ..   buddy of mine reaches out to me.  He just bought one for his wife and they LOVE it. We talked for an hour about that and other things; mostly that.  Now.. I'm pumped!

FB post

Yesterday morning got the call.  It's in.  Ask me when I want to pick it up and its game on.  We shoot down yesterday afternoon, pull up next to it .. and I'm about to buy a vehicle that I've never driven, never touched, only seen on the highway in a different color once.  We immediately get out and start the walk around.  It's big... really big.  Not quite as big as a Suburban ... but bigger than any SUV type vehicle I've ever owned, even my old H2 Hummer.  It's not 'sporty' but it reeks "Jeep" with the Grill and the front stance.  Soon my sales guy Jason Grintz spots us and we're soon sitting in the car.  They ask me several times if I want to take it for a spin and I always so 'no'... I'll drive it when I take it home.  There is still a chance this deal can go south some way some how and I don't want to get emotionally tied to it .. yet!  Now the real fun begins.... they start showing me all the options.

Now here is the kicker.  I made the decision to buy this because we do a lot of road trips.  I love the Jeep brand.  I knew this has the towing capacity numbers I needed.  It has a 6.4 Hemi.  A shit load of screens in the cockpit.  Has a newly designed chassis and suspension .  But that's about it.  Now, I suddenly realized I'm purchasing a state of the art vehicle that is truly a Premium/Luxury Full Size SUV.  Has a HUD; I didn't know.  Has massaging seats; I didn't know.  Has 4 diff ride heights; I didn't know.  Has a cooler in the storage between front seats; I didn't know.  Sounds badass with the exhaust; I didn't know.  Has heated AND cooled rear seats; I didn't know. Has a night vision camera facing forward; I didn't know.  Has an option to show live video out the rear in your rear view mirror driving down the road; I didn't know. Has a full blown 5 year maintenance schedule warranty to rival the European brands; I didn't know.  I'm literally sitting in the passenger seat listening to one of the sales guys going over everything and I'm blown away.   I just want to sign my life away and take it home!

Well after an hour of the crazy paperwork that always ensues when you buy a vehicle, we head back to the finance guy that does the final piece whether you are paying cash, taking out a loan or hawking your first and second born to drive it home.  Everyone was great and we're soon handed the keys.  It's time.  As I backup, put it in drive and head out the partially opened gate I'm thinking.. "damned.. this thing is BIG" ...   then out on the road with no scrapes down the side from the gate.

First impression.  Power... that 6.4 hemi has something like 450hp and its obvious.  Picks up speed easily and sounds awesome.  The ride is incredible and quiet.  The interior is huge.  I'm overwhelmed with the 4 screens in the cabin ( the 4th is actually for the passenger).  Buttons everywhere I don't recognize ... yet.   The adaptive cruise is evident immediately to be superior to the one in my last vehicle.  The HUD rocks because it not only shows your speed, but the speed limit and what road you are on.  Awesome.  The NAV screen is HUGE in the center.  I'm ultra comfortable in this beast.  I'm 6'4 315 lbs and .. comfortable; Really Comfortable.  My F350 was like this; I missed it.  I dig this; don't miss that F350 now.  For the next hour on the way home I'm soaking it all up and realizing I'm going to need to pull out a manual to figure more of this out.

That '17 I traded in was almost perfect.  I mean with 105k miles, it was still great and I considered putting another 100k on it.  Great size for parking and enough to travel in.  Buying this was not needed.   But looks like we'll get about 18 - 19 mpg on the highway which is almost as good as the '17.  It had a 5.7 but this one has a 6.4 with over 100 more HP.  The '17 was a 'perfect' size , this is a fucking monster and .. it fits me.  In all my years this is the one purchase to date that was ... completely unnecessary, frivolous and ... I can't stop smiling.   I friggn' love it. 

UPDATE 17 JAN 22 :   Just received yet another call from my Sales Guy.  I've bought WAY TOO MANY vehicles over my life time ...  want to know how many follow up historically?  Almost ZERO.  Jason is a Rockstar!  ....js!

UPDATE 25 JAN 22:  Just finished putting 1200 miles on it the past week... I'm hooked. Doesn't feel 'huge' anymore .. PURE comfort/luxury ...  crazy power ... and .. I keep finding new functions and options I was unaware of....  still wondering how many camera this thing has inside and outside!

 What's the saying?  It's a Jeep thing.  You wouldn't understand 








Comments

Tim said…
BUT, you bought the Porsche for your trips to and from MS....
RickkciR said…
Not why I did it, but was the plan. It's to small, too expensive. It has a new....future :)
Tim said…
Those Jeeps are Yuuuge... What did they give you for your trade, if you dont mind my asking?
RickkciR said…
Tim they gave me $27k for it . I'd have gotten more but there were a few small 'bumps' on the hood from hail that I'd never gotten fixed
Tim said…
That was a nice chunk of change for that rig... Cant wait to see more pics!
RickkciR said…
Put about 500 miles on it last weekend ... I didn't want to stop. Pure Luxury .... figured out most of the screens and 'button's ... damned I love this thing
Tim said…
Which model/version did you get?
RickkciR said…
Top of the food chain. Grand Wagoner, series 3