Mexico ... first trip of the year

 Last month a close friend of ours asked me about Secrets down in Cozumel, with some pointed questions.  They normally go to Cancun, but were going to change it up.  Gave him all the specifics and jokingly said "if you want some company, let me know'.  Well, few weeks later they are booked and he extends the invite.  Hell, I'm in!  We had a large credit with American Airlines Vacations from a canx trip last year, and I needed to use it in the next several months; problem solved!  Booked a top of the line room, grabbed the best seats available and ...  done!   

Cozumel Weather 
As I type this paragraph, I'm up way too early .... woke up and couldn't get back to sleep .. it's 2am and I just know I'm going to be hurting later today dragging ass.  Oh well, java java java?  We hit the ground around 2pm today they show up tomorrow. Five days of nice weather forecasted and I'm truly looking forward to it.  The weather here in Tx has been really nice the last week, but rain is forecasted the next few days here, and temps are back down to the 20s after we get home... so ...  sort of looking forward to this one.  Next month we've got another trip here that's been planned since last year .  I never get enough time down here; love the island.

Well, few hours go by .. we're packed and off to the airport.  Quick run to Rick and Holly's to drop off Peanut with his aunt/uncle, and we're headed to DFW.  Found a perfect spot to park in a  packed parking garage (2 hr parking with handicapped placard), check in and soon into the Admirals Club for Bloody Marys and Mimosas.  Before you know it, we're loaded up on the plane, watching movies, sneaking some drinks in from them lil bottles we carried on and not a bad flight.  When we land, it's crazy full! 
Chaos at customs.... 
 So packed that I've never seen it like this. Usually, half the cattle gates are full, but as we get in line it's full, then another plane of folks walked in and it's wrapped all the way outside. Holy crap!   Well, less then twenty minutes later, we're through customs, out the front doors, across the street grabbing a cab for $20 and headed to Secrets Aura. Many moons ago, we used to use vans that had about 8 people in them for way more.  Then we started using private transportation for way way more!  Then we learned about the cabs 100' outside the airport for $5-20 depending on one's destination; score.   We've been here almost ten times and know it well. In fact, I've called to make sure the exact room type is in the system for us and assured all is good.  As soon as we pull up and they take our bags a concierge of sorts has a pad with all the guest names to check you in.  Problem is, last time it was part of a UVC ploy and I wasn't happy about that one.  So, I give them my name, tell them I know where to check in and leave her standing there with a deer in the heads lights look as we walked to the preferred club lounge for checking in.  And this, is where it gets ..... interesting.  Checking in I'm told our room wasn't ready yet (it's after 3pm) but will be in the next thirty minutes so to have a seat in the lounge.  I ask what's the room number and .. they won't give it to me.  Ruh Roh; we see what's coming.  I tell her it should be in building 9 or 1 of the preferred section (what I'd paid for!) since I'd called and she sort of brushes me off...... Ruh Roh.  Well, about 45 minutes later,  she finally gives us the bad news; 1416.  I say "no" .. we called!   No matter what we said or did we got "just checkout the room and if it's not what we want, come back" .   Well, I finally got her to admit there were no other beach front rooms avail but this one; 1416.  After prodding her and trying to keep my wife calm, she tells me one in the other two buildings will be avail the following day.  In fact we'd spoke to another couple in there and they'd jokingly told us "you can have ours tomorrow since we check out; it's room 111".   I laugh with them, off we go, mama is pissed (rightfully so since I'd verified everything the week before) and off we go.  We pass 1414 which I had a few years ago to try out a swim out, and we knew what we were about to walk into.  To the average person, they'd say 'nice room'.  To those that had never been to a Secrets or AI resort, they'd say 'nice room.' But we have been here almost ten times.  We knew what we were walking into before that door opened. We knew exactly what we wanted/expected; this wasn't it.  Think a nice big beachfront "Super 8" room; 1416.  Older, outdated, nothing special.  Out the glass doors, busy walkway, dozens of cheap loungers in the sand.  Not good.  At this point, I'll just fast forward to the next 
First morning | Room 1416
day cause shit got ugly; mama wasn't happy. We're up early in the morning unable to sleep.  Dragging ass tired, call room service and before the sunrise at 5:45am , we're eating breakfast on the back patio.  I'm 'okay' about it all, feeling like we got screwed, and know I've got some fixing to do.  By 9am , I'm up at the Preferred club told we need to checkout of room by noon and we'll have another room by 3pm. What could go wrong?   Yeah... a LOT could go wrong.  After asking multiple times I'm finally told it's room 111.  There are 8 rooms available that meet our requirement and that was the only one I didn't want (due to it's location on the beach, etc.  But.. it's the ONLY one avail I'm told.  Someone really screwed the pooch here.  They are always upgrading folks, etc, etc you name it.. and .. they fucked up in the big picture.  Their way of fixing it was to offer us a couples massage to calm us down, minimize the bad reviews, etc.  Well, the wife doesn't want a massage; not her thing.  They tell us they are for 25 minutes; you're kidding right?  Well after I push back, they are suddenly each 80 minutes.  Fuck it; take it and move on.  Not a lot of options at this point.  Well, off to the beach and enjoy the morning.  Around 11: 45 we quickly pack up and request the bags to be picked up .. then .. off to the pool / pool bar and hope they don't screw this one up.  They don't and our vaca' finally feels like's it's on.  Now some could argue this was all no big deal. They are probably right, but .. has never happened to us. And, I called to make sure it wouldn't.  Once they have you checked in.. you are at their mercy.  How much do you bitch, if they claim there is no solution?  I paid for a specific room type, at a specific area and they never gave in to that fact; acted like they did us a favor moving us the following day.  Hmmm..     

Nice day on the beach
Well, from there it was a few days of beach time, pool times, lots of alcohol, and good food. Several

 days in, we jumped into a cab with friends and headed to town. I had a plan and it went smooth as silk.  We started at the Thirsty Cougar for some margaritas and snacks, then worked our way down the main drag towards the Barracuda Hotel. Once we picked up some tourist nick-nacks, we went into the No Name Bar which was hopping!  It's a hot spot for Cruise ship Crew Members and they were packing it.  We found a table in the sand between the pool and ocean and the day was getting better and better.  After some awesome margaritas made our way into the ocean via a huge set of steps.  Later on, jumped after seeing some others and able to verify it was deep enough.  But after a few hours, time to head back.  

Few days later, we'd cab it to Alberto's for some killer seafood.  I ended up with a dish for 2; Lobsters, shrimp and fish, all over the top.  Buddy of mine got Red Snapper.  Their meal wasn't too pricey, mine was.  I really have to stop ordering all this crazy qty of food but I can't help myself? LOL.  Well, twelve bucks later (plus tip) we are back at Secrets having a few more adult beverages.  Then .. zzzz
Between all these we had some great nights and the swing bar; a fav.  At the Sky Bar up high; a fav. Various retreatants to include the French one, Windows, Oceana; all good.  We were there for 5 nights, 6 days and I honestly felt like I needed TWO more to make it the perfect trip; time flew too quickly.
Well, say our goodbyes to our friends whom are on a different flight and $15 plus tip ...  we are at the airport.

Few thoughts about this trip ... this resort.

First, they don't require wrist bands and to be honest, pisses me off.  Folks from the Sunscape (family resort) sneak over to use the Secrets Aura and usually get away with it.  They didn't pay for it; we did.  But, it's rarely enforced

Second, you see family's over in our area on the sidewalk checking things out.  Sometimes in the water.  Again, rarely enforced.   This is an Adults Only area.

Third, Preferred Level. Most folks are not preferred, but except for asking for room numbers sometimes, how is this enforced for whom is where?  It's a joke in the big picture and makes me question sometimes if it's worth it.  But I like buildings 1-9, which is the Preferred Section so I continue to throw money at it all.  I'm sure someone reading this thinks there is attitude in all that. Some don't pay or use the preferred part.  I'm simply saying that if you pay for it and want it, it should be exclusive and worth it; simple as that.

I like this resort over all others on the Island and that's what drives my behavior.  Has the best beds, rooms, etc.   I'm willing to pay more for those benefits, but ....  the 'funny' thing is this Secrets is one of the worst in the chain compared to all the others.  I've heard that over and over from many folks that use many of the other Secrets Resorts.  But, on the this Island .... one of the best.  Go Figure?  So, we're headed back to Cozumel for third trip (second is next month) and Secrets is on my radar.  I may do a different room in the Preferred Section this time.....  think I'll book directly with AMR to ensure I get the room I want (buildings 1-9).  Really don't want to relive that 'first night' again.

Preferred Section Beach Area (foreground)



Albertos

Red Snapper : Albertos

Lobster, Shrimp, Fish : For 2 (me!)



Preferred Section


No Name Bar

Sky Bar



YUM!




View from our Room (Preferred Section)


Preferred Pool




God Bless Tejas! (No Name Bar) 

View from No Name Bar






Downtown San Miguel


Main Lobby from the quiet pool 

Great Music 


View from Room 111



View from room 111


View from room 1416 


Comments