Mexico Anniversaries

I know .. I know... I need to slow down.  Laying in the hospital bed eight days ago after my lil' spell on the motorcycle I was in a quandary.  I'm trying to break out on Monday, knowing I'm scheduled to leave to Mexico on Wednesday.  Lets just say .. all worked out.  On the plane down I had a weird issue as well as on Friday at a restaurant .. but with Lucy's help I survived it all.  What's the saying .. "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" or some stupid similar shit?  LOL

Lets back this up....   Few months back we were at SWG and came across Zach Romo.  He'd played for us few years prior at the home and we reminisced a lil'. After a few drinks, we've asked him to play for us again for our 35th at the house this past week, with the Kennedys celebrating their 21st..  Well, as we got closer this is all began to morph into something bigger / different that was originally discussed and we weren't 'feeling it' like we were initially.  Well,  few Saturdays ago we decided to nuke the whole idea and just head to the beach; Mississippi gulf coast.  But by that Sunday afternoon we were chatting with Mark and Nancy Kennedy and deciding on a trip to Mexico for both our anniversaries.  

We had just done an Airbnb trip last month and I'd come across some cool accommodations when researching that one so I had a plan.  Soon we found a high end Penthouse Condo on the beach, price was right, available ... flights are open.  Click .. click click .. .. we are booked!  El Cantil Condo Resort, here we come! I'm familiar with the area it's in, walking distance from anything we want to do ... score!  Now the tough part.  I hit 'cancel' on the FB Event and go quiet. Eventually folks that realize it, reach out, I gave them the bad news.  I affirm that we aren't having issues, just changed up the anniversary location; no harm no foul.  One curve ball was a good friend of ours had booked a flight from MN to time a trip over that weekend with the party, but I didn't find that out until afterwards; ugh.  Yes, I felt like shit.  But as I type this I hope to see her later today and tomorrow so we still get some time in to visit! With condo and flights booked, time to quit worrying ...  we still had a Fort Smith Steel Horse Rally to attend and I've got plenty on the plate at work .....

Balcony View
The Love Shack

Well, the 18th quickly approaches and it's time!  We've arranged for the Farleys to house sit Peanut, Kennedy's are headed over to our place and we're soon loaded up in the Biggun' and rolling.  I miss the George Bush Turnpike exit but the traffic isn't as bad on 635 as I'd suspected.  Then drop onto the Expressway /tollway and were hauling ass.  We've got MSM plates on this vehicle so we're soon backing into a spot that is '2 hour parking' with Lucy's handicap placard, unloading at Terminal D and soon through Security and entering the AA Admirals Club for some quiet time.  We left four hours before boarding to beat traffic and we've got about ninety minutes to kill in a calm area away from the masses.  After my ordeal a few days prior, I'm keeping my intake in check if you know what I mean and we're soon boarding and headed south. I'm drinking water the whole way down which is a first, and maybe not such a bad thing. Couple hours later we de-board, exit the airport, head out to the main road to grab a cab and we're soon pulling up to El Cantil!  They have a door man 24/7, we're checking in with him, hands us keys and he's attempting to explain to us how to use the private elevator that goes directly to our Penthouse Condo and opens into it.  Yeah .. my Spanish isn't that good and it'll take almost 24 hours to figure that out, but we use the other elevator that takes us to that floor and we use the front door.  Upon entering it's immediately obvious we did good on this selection.  Place is around 2500 sq ft, huge balcony facing the ocean, three bedroom which has two Master Suites with King beds, and all the amenities.  Score!  For the next five nights, we'll spend a lot of time here with the A/C (it was a hot week), lot of time on the balcony (the view!) and just ... relaxing.  Across the street is the Mega Mart (think Walmart .. but better) and Chedurai (NICE Grocery store).  We chose the latter to go grab some supplies and it was literally a block away.  After loading up, we've heard you can just take the cart and the door man for a few bux will return it for you.  Well as we leave we have some young guy is chasing us down panicking we are taking the cart.. LMAO.  Guessing they have had problems in the past.  I point to our building so he literally pushes the cart the whole way for us.  Then I explain we need to take it in the elevator to our room and he follows us up.  When we get there I invite him in and he actually helps us unpack it all and then leaves. Of course we tipped him to make it all worth it .. but.. funny shit!  After that we just used two large shopping bags to simplify it each trip .. but..   can't help but get a kick out of that scenario.  Well, we got our refreshments .... time to enjoy Mexico!

Over the next few days we'll show Mark and Nancy some  of our fav' restaurants; Thirsty Cougar, Wet Wendys, Woodys, Jeannies, come to mind.   On their anniversary we were down at the pool deciding on dinner at Albertos (beach location, touristy, but lots of good seafood) when I asked one of the other folks that own a condo .. where they would recommend. Hands down they said Casa Mission!  I've been to La Mission downtown which is great, but this is owned by a different family member and is further away off the beaten path.  We opt for that and truly glad we did. It's beautiful, service was awesome, food was great.  This will be my new favorite for future trips!  Rocked and was the perfect location for their Anniversary Dinner.  We closed the place down .. and back to the Condo.

El Parilla Cozumel

Fast forward to our Anniversary Dinner and I've found a place I REALLY want to go to.  I tend to be spontaneous and get caught up in the moment.  Lets just say .. I didn't research this one enough?  LOL   First, the address that I was using was the wrong one.  We walked almost twenty minutes but took a detour through a neighborhood for the scenic route and because of that, we missed it. We'd have walked right by it had I not detoured.  Well after we get to a location .. where there is no restaurant, I grab a cab and we figure out where it actually is.  Funny part is ...I tried calling several times to no avail.  Finally got through .. handed the phone to the taxi driver and after talking 'forever' .. he looks at me knowingly and smiles.  We're headed back the direction we just came!   And..... there it is.  The pics made it look bigger/better that it was but ... I'm in.  I recognize the owner (from pics) and we're soon seated.  Kicker is Carnival (was supposed to be in February but slipped dates due to a Covid spike) is ongoing this week and he's short handed with three of his employees ... whom are at Carnival.  He's busting his ass and literally a soaking mess. .. but super nice and apologetic.  Lucy is sipping water since they don't have anything she drinks there, we're drinking a red Merlot that could have come out of a box... but then the food starts coming out and it all rocks.  Steaks are thick, cooked excellent.  Now, the meat isn't as tender as I hoped for but the fact it was a good as it was is amazing in itself.  In fifteen years coming to this island I've never had what I consider a 'great' steak.  Tonight... was really good!  Well, we're walking distance from the condo so we work off dinner with a ten minute walk on a tropical night.  The balcony is calling our name.  Once there, the night air is thundering with sounds from Carnival. and it's loud!  It'll make a long night for most.  Well, not me.  I had custom ear plugs with me.  I slept like a fat baby.

Back around 2014 we met a really nice local guy (Yussell) that works at Secrets.  Every trip there since, we recognize each other and quickly catch up.  Last year when we came down he wanted us to come over to his home so he could cook for us, but we had too many people with us. Then the same thing last month when we visited the island.  Well, this trip Lucy and I broke away to meet up with he and his family to enjoy Carnival.  After some drinks at Senor' Frogs, he found us and we headed out onto the seawall where we got to meet his espousa Flor, their two kids and her mother.  Next two hours he was pulling cold cervezas out for us, I had his lil girl on my shoulders so she could get a good vantage point and Lucy was chatting with his mother in law.  Got to tell you .... nights like that night .. remind me it'd be nice to have Grand Kids...  but that's why I enjoy time with my Nephews/Nieces  to share in that experience.  Needless to say ..  I had a blast that night sharing in their family time.  Can't wait to see him again this November.  Well, after that .. back to the balcony .. and all the crazy loudness trying to sleep. Well.. not me.. I have them ear plugs! LOL.

Sunday is our last day to enjoy the island.  We'll head out to Hemingway's for an early lunch, but they are still serving breakfast; Eggs Benedict it is!  Everyone else orders and we've also got Bloody Marys and Mimosas on the table.  My kind of ...'brunch'.    Then back to get some more pool time.  This condo has two buildings that share a really large pool that is heated (well, for the winter) .. a smaller kiddy pool ... a hot tub in the center of it all. A man made beach on each side of it that looked great.  A stepped entry into the ocean which was cool.  And two piers (yep .. where I jumped in).  The only thing missing here was pool side service but we had a cooler loaded up with adult refreshments.   Still, it rivals many of the resorts in the area, and the price is right.

El Cantil Condo Resort

But as always.. everything has to end.  Overall, we had a blast. Yes, I'd do it again. I will do it again. They have condos of diff' sizes, diff' price points.  It's not a place to get crazy and LOUD ..but . a few did. And some of the 'owners' gave them a frown ... .was actually funny to watch.  Me personally, my alcohol intake was at a historic low after the shit I went through previously.  I almost didn't partake of any beverages, but I drank a stupid amount of water to stay hydrated, had a few drinks here and there....  and paying attention to my body and it's symptoms trying to understand what is going on with my ticker.  I have some ideas and going to chat with the doc' about it.  I notice after I eat a meal sometimes, things kick off and I've get some kind of indigestion. Guessing this all means something in the big picture.  Or maybe what It means is I shouldn't eat OR drink .. LMAO .  Nah .. there's a solution here somewhere...

Next trip ..  this November.  Feeling it?  Lets Roll!

 

Thirsty Cougar

El Cantil Condo Resort


El Cantil Condo Resort

No Name Bar (Barracuda Hotel)


El Parilla 

View from my Balcony

View from my Balcony



Comments