memorial day




"Memorial Day is a US federal holiday wherein the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces are remembered. The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the final Monday of May, was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.”

“And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier's tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” Joseph Drake

I am proud to have served in defense of my country. I am proud of being a Veteran. I value the words of those who come up to me and say, “Thank you for your service.” The support and appreciation mean a great deal. But, please, do not wish me a “Happy Memorial Day”. Memorial Day is a day that I honor the memory of my Brothers and Sisters who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our Nation. I am proud to have known such men and women, and am honored to have been their friend. For me, it is a bittersweet day. I think of those who did not return, and while I know that loss is an integral part of war, it does not make the loss any less painful. I do not mourn their loss, however, for as General Patton said, “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.” I am thankful that such men and women exist, that we have those who selflessly pay the price to protect and defend our Nation. I choose to remember them as they lived, and strive to be worthy of their memory. I will lift a glass and drink a toast, and wish them Godspeed. But it is not a “happy” Memorial Day for me. For Veterans, our day is in November. That is the day that we celebrate each other, and share the camaraderie of being Veterans. We get together and swap war stories and other lies, and enjoy each other’s company and are thankful that we are the lucky ones who returned. Come see me then, shake my hand, say thank you, and wish me a happy Veterans Day. It will mean a great deal to me, and I will be honored that you are grateful for my service. But, please, not on Memorial Day. It is not my day. I would rather that you remember the fallen, remember their families, and say a prayer to whatever God you choose to believe in that someday we will no longer suffer such losses. Wallace Bruce describes the fallen as those men and women “Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.” I will honor their glory, I will keep the faith, and I will do my duty to ensure that their glory is never forgotten. For me, every day is Memorial Day."

Comments