Decades of Bad Habits

Damned time flies......

In my military days, I ranged 225-250lbs for 90% of the 20 years.   Early on when I was 22, I had a short period where I dropped under 220 for my first bodybuilding contests that summer, then back over 220.  At 26, I dropped to 218 (was ripped!) for a few weeks for two more contests, then ... never looked back.  The next fifteen years I'd be between 230- and 250... except for when I crept up on retirement.  I was putting in some time with the Iron, relaxing my lifestyle a lil and ... retired at 263 lbs.  I remember not being 100% happy with myself at the weight.  Looking back at it all, and even the pics... I have to laugh about it.   What I'd give for that problem today!

Well, at 39 I was out in the civilian workforce traveling my ass off, and with an expense account.  For the first time in my life I was out weekly with customers having big, awesome meals and most of the time.. .alcohol in that mix.  Within two years, my weight had jumped another ten pounds.  On a positive note, I was still in the gym.  Over the next five years with another company,  I was putting in the time with the Iron, but watched my weight jump 25 more pounds.  I was going to motorcycle rally's, NASCAR events and started going to Mexico on vaca.  But now .. I was sitting at 300lbs at age 45.   I carried it well, but ....   I was wearing a larger waisted set of slacks, and that ... bothered me.  Still, I could get into my jeans and was going 100mph.   By 46, I'd changed companies one last time and was putting in crazy hours at work.  Traveling my ass off.  Eating like a king.   And, that pants size was slowly going up.  Still, what a run.  Looking back it I've been going 100mph the last 24 years....   but...

Something has to give eventually.  At some point, one's body says "F U" and .. .mine did I guess.   That was three years ago.  I've been aware of crap since then milking it.  But eventually, one has to either fix the problem or .... just continue down a destructive path.  So, we fix it.

Now that I've begun the process, I'm starting to get a lil excited. I was in Mexico only two weeks ago, living it up on Margaritas and the local cuisine.  Now, I'm back into the gym and paying attention to what goes in my body.  I've gone from "oh crap" to ...   excited.  I'm hoping to get sub 300 by June worst case.  Then, the real fun begins.   I haven't been under 290 in ages.  It's been almost 17 years since I was at 275 (small time period back then I'd dieted down for awhile).  And it's going to happen again.

What I really am wondering is... how low will I go. Will I keep this up and get back to the awesome days I enjoyed putting in hours a week in the gym?   Will I change up my bad habits moving forward.  I believe that answer is yes... but.. time will tell.  No matter how this plays out.....   1 Nov will be a glorious day...  Yep .. I'm pumped

Tracking it all here >>  GYM TIME <<


Nowhere to go but... UP!





Comments