Felt like I went back in time…..



In July of 2009, I made a decision that would change my life drastically in ways I never saw coming.   Up until that point, I’d owned several bikes the previous 25 years or so, but I was never truly ‘into it.”   I rode them to work. I rode them to the bars.  I rode them to the store.  And twice, in those 25 years, I did 400 mile road trips (okay  ... 800; I had to get home!).  But, I didn’t just throw a leg over the bike and head out and … ride.  You know… 50 miles… 150 miles.  200 miles, just because.  I mean, why?  This would change , once I found the bike that made me want to ride.  Ride Often. Ride Far. Ride to Live , Live to... wait . .never mind.. that's friggn' cliche...

Republic of Texas Rally - 2009

Well, in July 2009 I found myself sitting on a beautiful Kings Mountain Vintage Chief at ROT down in Austin, looked at the price tag, had complete sticker shock , sat on it longer , and without ever starting one up , I made the decision to buy one, right there and then.  I made that decision knowing it was a first year bike.  Knowing this was Indian's ‘third time’ back in the game.   Knowing, I might have a bike from a company that might not exist next year.  So, I found my nearest dealer, which was 400 miles away in Wichita KS, did the deal, flew up and rode it home.   And what a trip that was.

Prior to this, I’d only rode Rice Burners.  Excellent bikes.  But, they just lacked the “soul.”   Well, ‘soul’ is what I was about to get.   I threw a leg over the bike and with just a couple miles on the speedo, I headed south.  That day was Humid and 95 degrees.  I remember it well!   I was friggn’ dying! I stopped every 75 miles to grab a big bottle of water, chug it, leg back over the bike and kept riding.   But, here’s why I bring that day up.  I’m riding this brand new bike, which cost more than most cars, and it was shaking.   Literally, it felt like the engine wanted to implode.  I was nervous as the RPMs rose towards 3,000.   I’m trying to break in this bike and I’m thinking, “WTF??”  I was used to Inline 4s.  My previous V-Twin was a Kawasaki 1500 and it was smooth as silk.  I was starting to miss that smooth ride!  Except, everywhere I stopped, I got looks.  I got questions.  I got really used to this new bike!   This had never happened before; never.  And, after a few months….  I got used to the shake.  I got to liking the shaking of that hard mounted motor.   I’ve come to literally love that feeling.   And today, I got reminded of it.  Found myself immersed in 8 years of memories, riding Kings Mountain Indians.

The Beast ( 2009 Chief)

Over the last several years, I’ve spent most of my time riding a 2014 Chieftain which I took delivery of around Oct 2013.  The Thuderstroke 111 is a torque monster of a motor.  Compared to the 105, its silky smooth.   Well, not compared to rice burners, but for American Iron, smooth.  I’ve gotten spoiled with the nice cruise control, minimal leather to take care, the grunt of the motor, the ability to play tunes via 4 speakers surrounding me.  But, though it’s got its own ‘soul’, there is nothing like that of a PP105.  I know the guys that ride the PP100 bikes and the S&S 88s will tell you the same thing about theirs.

KROME  ( '14 Chieftain )


Not long after I picked up my 2009 Indian Chief Vintage, the 2010s came out.  But we got a curve ball.  They had Dark Horses and they had Bombers. And the Bombers, caught my eye.   But after dropping serious change on the ’09, the ‘10s were NOT an option.   And yet, every time I saw them, I couldn’t help but stare.  Dream.  Want.   I remember after a few years thinking “maybe in a decade or two I can pick up a beat up one and restore it” .. .. Well, come the spring of 2015, the SL Darkhorse was released.   I decided right there and then to pick one up and recreate a Silver Bomber.  So I got the bike and started the planning.  Except, I realized it was not going to look quite the same.  The bags were different.  The shades of brown are different.   The whole bike, just looks different.   So, I changed my mind.  And thought if I ever came across the real deal down the road, figure it out then.

Well, that time came.   I executed.  She rolled up today.  And the first thing I did was throw a leg over it and ride down the road.  Well, not far.  Stayed in the neighborhood.   Getting on the highway seemed stupid with flip flops and shorts on?   So, later in the afternoon, dressed appropriately and threw a leg over again and headed down the road!   Whoops; raccoon straight ahead!   Bugs….    Cool air.   And, that ‘shake’.   As I ran it through the gears, watching my RPMs, getting the carbon out of that motor (sounds good), my feet were vibrating on the floorboards.  Up through my knees.  I could feel it in my hands.  This PP105 was alive and has Soul!   I found myself, remembering July 2009.  Remembering the thousands of miles I put on the “Beast” (what I still call that bike to this day).   I swear the Beast shakes more than any bike I’ve ever ridden to include other KMs.   But, the Bomber is a close second.  She vibrates from front to back, head to toe.  Acts like she doesn’t want to ‘go’ but when you grab a lil extra throttle the fuel finds it's destination and she accelerates easily.   Quickly.   Wait, almost missed my stop.  Whoops!  No ABS!  Now, we’re having fun; lil’ slide with the rear as I prepare to dive into a quick turn.   Bike handles perfectly.  It’s as nimble as I remember.   With their rake, a lot of folks complain about their turning radius but it’s never bothered me.  Hell, makes you prove yourself when you ride it.

The Silver Bomber

As I head back, I’ve got the high beams on and I’m remember one of my big pet peeves about the KMs.  When rolling with the windshield on, that red light on the speedo reflects up right in front of you.  Have the high beams on? Now, you’ve got red AND blue reflecting!   But, I’m on the taller side and I’m looking over it... past it… but , still I’ve got a lil light show going.  But, it’s a KM and its part of the character of the bike.
Blinded w/ this light show!

Pulled into the garage, had to reach way back for that kickstand, and... Home.   Wait; need to plug it in. Did I mention I had to wait to ride it, because it wouldn’t start?  Dammed these KM bastards like to suck the juice out of the batteries.  Battery Tenders are a must.    And worth it of course. I just need to remember to use them.

Still can’t believe it… finally ….   Silver Bomber

Comments

Rick said…
Can't wait to see it in person brother!
SaddleSore said…
Love it....... always one of my dream bikes and tickled to see you having one!
Another great tale...please forward to Kim for next edition of Smoke Signals #IronIndanRiders
Tim said…
Nice looking bike... If your trailer north you have to bring it with you