Slingshot Update

Proud new owner!

Hard to believe I bought this about four years ago!  I've completely underutilized it.  Lets just say .. it's got low miles.

Myself and Rob Gregory: First SS sold

Back in  July of 2014 I posted some thoughts on them when I'd made the decision to get one.  After purchasing it out of AR since they couldn't be sold in TX until the following June, in Dec of '14 I did a post ride report.  Last summer I did a comparison of the various '3 wheel' options out there.  I honestly believe these provide the most fun I've ever had, on more than 2 wheels!  Yet, I barely drive it...
Jess bringing the cool factor

Quite awhile back I'd purchased a turbo kit for it.  This was before superchargers were available.  Before folks were dropping LS V8s' into them .   Every dealer I asked, had never done an install so I sat on it.   Eventually, while discussing it with a few buddies, I had multiple offers to install it. 
Day 1: John and Jim
Problem was I didn't want to do it myself, and I didn't want to rely on buddies to do it for 'free'.  Eventually, I worked out a barter deal with one of my buddies whom is a professional mechanic and the install was on!  So late last winter, it began. In Feb of '17 we pulled it into the garage and the process begin.   Problem was, the day before, I'd wrenched my back while riding and was unable to help.   Good news was Jimbo' came over to help John with the hood removal, etc.   Then the entire install was in John's hands.   Seems like this all played out over several nights.   We hit a stopping point though, when we realized they hadn't sent us new plugs for the install.  Additionally, the ECU had to be shipped out to be flashed.  So, we had a work stoppage.  And, I procrastinated.  Couple months later, I finally went out to get the plugs and oil, got it all in as well as plugging in the ECM.   Took a deep breath and started her up.  Sounded awesome with the new exhaust, and looked awesome in the engine compartment.
 
Turbo Installed!
But, this is where a mortal mistake was consummated.  During the install a waste gate hose was hooked up incorrectly.   John hadn't been back to look over the final install and check everything out.  I was fat dumb and happy and ready to give it a test run.   They recommended a 20 mile break in for the turbo, so I headed out and did some laps in the area.  Just cruising around I was impressed at the power on tap and I wasn't even revving it up yet.   So on the last lap, I decided to jump on it like I always do .  When I dropped the clutch, my head literally shot back into the headrest and I was off like a rocket. Somewhere between 5000 and 6000 RPMs, I speed shifted into second and ....... all hell broke loose.  Literally.  The motor 'exploded' with black and gray smoke and ....  was dead.  I pulled it off the to the side of the road and attempted to restart it.  Nothing.  Dead.   Well crap.   So, called AAA and a lil while later a flat bed showed up and five miles down the road, I'm home.

That didn't last long!

At this point I'm assuming the Turbo setup is faulty and Alpha is going to be 'buying me' a new motor.  So the next morning I reach out, talk to their tech whom asks me to send him pics.  Within 30 seconds of him getting the email, he calls me back and says " you hooked it up wrong".  WTF?   Crap ...   Well... this just got expensive.  The tech tells me instead of pushing 6lbs of boost, it was north of 20lbs.  Whoops.   So, John and I are discussing and debating what to do.  I'm a lil upset, understandably.  But ....... shit happens.  There's a good chance had I let John do the entire project beginning to end, this might not have happened.  He might have caught the mistake doing a final 'once over.'  But, too late now.  So ....  it sat.. and sat.. and sat. (yes... I procrastinate sometimes)

Last month John and I were chatting and .. it's game on.  He's got access to the garage at his new place of employment so I pick up a rebuild kit, call AAA to get it on another flatbed headed his way.  He immediately tears into the motor and I get the bad news.  We've got a cracked block.  Crap!   Well, the GM 2.4 is used in everything from Slingshots to multiple divisions and models and we find one from a Malibu at the junkyard without stupid miles on it.   A few bucks later they are delivering it to the garage, John is prepping it with new paint, sprucing up the overall look and swapping it in.   Turbo setup is reinstalled.  Few days later, I get the good news.  She's running.  She's purring.   Soon he's headed over my way and dropping it off with a shit eating grin telling me about the power.   Now...we are talking.  We are back in the game.   Now...  need some fresh tags for it.  Finally ... I'm back in the seat!










Leanne's one and only time in it

Dad and I at Rob's









Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats on getting it back up and running! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.

BTW: That's why I love the GM 2.4, they're everywhere and reasonable.