Texas State 2018- Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Been a busy year!  I've been interested in the CVMA for a few years and I  patched in back around April of this year.  Nationals was held in El Paso a few months later and I attended. Regionals were held last month and I attended.  As luck would have it, the State Meeting was to be held in Galveston, Tx;  Slam Dunk!

Weather is looking iffy; folks in our chapter were watching intently.   I've got a bike down there at the time, so I'm going to be 'dry' no matter what but not so for everyone else.  This has been a crazy wet fall here but we're going to luck out.   Additionally, I screwed up my back two weeks prior and still trying to recover.  A trip to my doc gets me 4 'scripts that turn out to be the magic solution; I'm finally able to sleep and get around somewhat.  So we head down a few days early to setup the home base for the event.   We're met with nothing but sunshine! My Brother in law Mike and Suzie Que are coming down for family time.  On Thursday Mark and Nancy are rolling in ; Mark is getting patched in finally at State.  Gutshot and Silverback are staying with us and will roll in on Friday.   And I get a text from Jim and Rozzie asking if I could use a lil help down; he was unaware that we have a CVMA event, but more the merrier... they are coming in Friday.  We've got a full house!

 I never tire of this view
Headed down on Tuesday, it's brutal.  Some of the worst weather I've ever driven in.  From the time we leave until we hit NE Houston, we are in a torrential downpour.   However, as soon as I get on the Tollway, we get a break. By the time I'm headed down 610, I can see a break in the sky.   Unbeknown to me, we are seeing our 'future' at this point.  Nothing but great weather ahead!  All the bad stuff is behind us and will stay there the entire weekend of the CVMA event.   Sunshine and 80s!   Soon enough, we're down at out home, on the back deck sipping an adult beverage.  We've arrived!


Almost hard to believe the weather Wednesday morning.  Hurricane Michael is headed into Panama City, Fl area. Our tides are high up to the berms and walkover steps.  Waves are breaking nice in sets and surfers are living it up.  Off in the distance to the SE you can tell something is 'up', but for us, we've lucked out once again.   All you can do is thank the man upstairs you've been spared this time, and enjoy the weekend.  We've had our bad ones in the past; we've got a good one this time around.  First thing after my coffee is to pull Sugar B' out of the garage and get her started and cleaned up.  But.. .we've got a problem.  The battery is dead.  Quick trip to Auto-zone scores me an AGM battery.  I can't help but laugh as I'm buying it. I've seen dozens and dozens of threads on the 'net for "what battery do I buy???  People wear these subjects out. Me, I'm looking at the part number and they have the 'good' battery and the 'best' battery sitting in front of me. I select the higher priced AGM battery with "gold' on the label, get my military discount, hand him the old one .. and I'm done.  Pop it in and she starts right up.  Good for a few more years.  I find myself wanting to stir the pot and get on FB and ask 'what type of battery should I get  .. or ask if this one is any good .. and rile up the natives.. but... I choose not to.   Off to crack open a cerveza and clean up the bike.  Turns out to be a better use of my time.  Damned if this lil bit doesn't mess with my back though.  Can't get the battery out without some help as my bike is starting to act up.  Putting it back in was simple enough.  Button it up, get Sugar B' cleaned up , leather lather up and she's ready.  Ready for ...  nothing it'll turn out!   Didn't ride it the entire week!  Mark and Nancy cage it down on Thursday due to some health issues.   Gutshot and Beth' are flying in from a business trip. Silverback rolls in during the wee hours after a long shift at work. We ALL caged it.. .so ...  Sugar B is .. parked.  WTF?  Have to admit, felt a lil' weird! For months I imagined us all riding, where we'd go, etc.   Well, Wednesday is a family day of sorts.  Just the the wife, her brother , his GF and me ... so, in search of good food and drinks we go!  Jimmy's on the pier wins.  Every since Hurricane Ike, their menu and service has gone up. It's got one of the best views on the Island being right over the water.  It's become one of our favs.   After that.. it's back to the house to enjoy an evening on the back deck.


Thursday is here!   The Kennedy's roll in.   It's a Blur ... we head to the beach for some Surf and Sun. Took a dip in the gulf and feels awesome; approx 85 deg water temp.   Then for lunch we break away to the Spot for some Oysters on the half shell and ice cold beer.  Then some other appetizers to polish off the appetite.  Eventually we'll find ourselves on the harbor side at the Mariana Bar and Grill for nightcaps and watching the sun go down..  I've come to really dig this place.  It's where fishing charters depart from and you've got some really cool scenery down on the water..  Soon, it's back to home base for another evening of telling stories, fellowship and ....  a lil scotch.

Friday is upon us.  This is the kick off day for a few us with the CVMA.  Mark and I will go sign in, pick up some prepaid items and check out the conference. First, it's a few bloody marys though. Nothing like some Tito's , Zing Zang mix and some additives to kick it in gear. After checking out the conference for an hour or so at Moody Gardens, it back to the beach. Hard to believe it's mid October with the temps in the 80s, water warm, sun out. We're well into a few beer when Rozzie and Jimbo' roll in.  We've got 8 of us now down by the water; the crew keeps growing. It's tough to leave the beach, even though we're only moving 150' over the house.  But, I'm getting hungry and we've got a few dozen brats to grill up.  Got the grill warmed up and we're sizzling them slow, getting them crispy on the outside, perfect on the inside.  Lucy has made some of her 'famous' beans and it all comes together.  As we're serving, GutShot and Bethany roll in from the airport.  Flawless timing! We've grown the house to 10 and life is good.   Pop a few more beers and.... .. another night on the back deck.   This night will be a long one for me.  Dutch' and Mario make it over around mid-nite; heat them up some grub hand them a beer.  Score!  They head out about 0130 hrs .. I'm dragging.  But Silverback should be rolling in soon.  Next thing I know he's waking me up on the back porch.. whoops!   I almost made it.  He and his buddy Joe ( we're up to 12 total now ) are here.  I'm fucking beat .. exhausted....... and .. off to bed.




Normally, I'd be sleeping in a notch, grab a big ass bloody mary, then head out. But, the evening before I got a message from Grandfather that as Road Captain, in the absence of the Sergeant at Arms .. I move up to SAA.  So, I've got to be in place at 0745 instead of 0900; NO!  So, I wake up to the alarm Saturday morning.  I hate alarms.  Despise alarms.  But, it's up, dressed, grab some java ... and  join up with the others stumbling around early morning.  Soon Mark and I are headed in.  We're car pooling, this is first big event and we're rolling early.   I find the other SAAs, get the brief and we hold tight for the meeting.  Basically, we're there to make sure things flow smoothly, nobody walks around in 'incorrect dress' ( ex. shorts w/ vests), and we manage the voting for State offices.   All in all, it's a good meeting lasting 4 hours. Problem was I had no breakfast, minimal coffee, and no bloody Marys.  I'm cranky and ready for the meeting to be over!   The highlight was Mark got patched in; an awesome sight for he and Mario , in front of 400 of our peers. Come 1300, we're ready to roll though.   Ms Carolyn is wanting an outside space where we can get some Shrimp, before heading over to my place for our Chapter's monthly meeting. A lot of options except I want to head westerly and that means...  the Sand Bar!   I remember when their food used to be top notch.  Now, the jury is out.  Overall not bad, but I miss the days of big ass jumbo shrimp coming out. Might be time to start looking elsewhere in the future; they are just so damned convenient to go to.   Well, after some cold ones and a late lunch over to mi' Casa.   We'll all roll in and go a 1630 Chapter meeting.
23-11 Chapter Mtg
The important part of this is our Commander Gutshot is handing over the reigns to Grandfather whom is now back in the head seat. Unfortunately our SAA Tex is moving to El Paso and has resigned his positioned, which means the SAA spot is open.  Silverback ( current Secretary ) and Half Sack throw their names into the hat.  A quick vote and Sliverback has himself a new position.   Half Sack thinks it over .. .. and .. soon finds himself as the new Secretary of 23-11.  Good news since it allows us to keep moving things moving forward.   Group Pic, some BSing between all and ... meeting adjourned!   After a long day no one is wanting to go anywhere so it's a call for some Italian food and we've got a night on the back deck ( seeing a trend here?).  Pizzas, Lasagna, Wings, Deserts roll in.   More than any of us could eat.  I'm digging this.  No travel.  No BS.  Just a good time with friends!



Patch-in Ceremony

Group Pic


Sunday is upon us.  Where the hell did the week go?   For me it was awesome .. and weird.. at the same time.  I've been focused for months on this weekend; CVMA State.  Five + of us in the house ownd motorcycles and nobody rode one all weekend.   For the Chapter meeting 4 + bikes rolled in , but the rest were in cages.   But the weather had us feeling like were on vaca at a Summer Resort.   More food and beer than one could consume.   Overall , it was just a damned good time.   I guess what made it 'easier' for me is I was .. and am still... nursing a back injury.   But it was still .. .'weird'.   Well, it's Sunday and the weather report is indecisive.  Folks are bailing out from the overall event to make it home before they get slammed by the storms rolling in. Most have to be home to go to work the following day.  So we have an exodus and by 0900 most are gone.  Just Lucy , myself  , Mike and Suzie.   Suddenly, we're in total veg mode.  Leftovers for meals.   Finish up some cold beers that are on ice.  Football and NASCAR dominates the tube all day.  It's a total Veg Sunday!   Good news is , everyone would make it home dry , that were on two wheels.  The crazy rain that everyone was worried about wouldn't happen Sunday ....

It slammed us Monday.  And now, I'm driving in it.   Just like on the way down, we're back in it, heading North.   For 330 miles, we'd be in the rains, most the crazy stuff the first 150 miles.   After that, the temps are falling and it's dreary.  We just spent a weekend with Summer temps and now it's plummeted to 41 degrees, rainy and I'm in sandals, shorts and sleeveless shirt!  Got a few looks when filling up with gas and at Rest Areas.  But otherwise, we're insulated from the crappy weather in our vehicle.  The beauty of traveling in a cage!

Here I am Tuesday writing this blog.  Texas has been inundated with rain the last week.  Down in the Hill County they are experiencing record flooding .  Bridges are going out.  It hasn't stopped since I got home and won't slow  down until the weekend.   Just two days ago I was sitting on the back deck , breaking a sweat , enjoying the warmth of the Gulf.   Now, it's all a distant memory.  But more are to be had.   In a few weeks, Lone Star Rally kicks off in Galveston.  We've made all of them but one over the last nine years.  Additionally, already looking forward to 2019.  Daytona Beach Bike Week is on the Horizon.  Then CVMA Nationals in Idaho.  CVMA Regionals in Buda, TX.  CVMA State in Templeton.   Every year, I say I'm going to slow down but I don't .... can't.  My other focus:  IIRA Reunion in the Hill Country has my attention.  The IIRA Gathering in August. The Fall has us in Hot Springs for a Tri State IIRA event in conjunction with the Gregory Indian 500 ride.   As I sit here thinking the 'year' is over.... it's anything but.... I've already planned next year. 

Slow down?  Sure thing............






















Comments