Are Slingshots... motorcycles?



......well, it says so on mine.  Right there between the passengers is a sticker. On the frame's VIN sticker, same thing.  So... we know it's a motorcycle!   Well, legally .. in most states.  Hell in some states you still need to have an "M" on your license and wear a helmet!

 

I've been having fun with this lately; being a Dick.  Just got my SS up and running again and posted some pics, etc.  At the same time, I saw in several threads out on Social Media folks were dis'ing 'em so I jumped in to stir the pot.  I'm a Professional!   Anyways...   I think about this subject often because I have several ( some that are close!) Friends that own them.  I've owned one since the day they went on sale in the fall of '14.  I see them at Rallys.   Out on SS rides with others SS's.  And I see them in the mix with bikes.

Problem is ...   and I have to tread carefully here and try to be PC .. I don't think they should be in a mix of bikes.  I know ... I know .. you're twitching and want to say " WAIT!  That's not what I saw you post the other day!".  Well.. I was simply stirring the pot.  It's just too easy sometimes.   But before I say what I'm about to let me say this.  Not everyone can ride a bike anymore.  One of my close friends can NOT ride a trike due to an injury with his hand/arm/shoulder. But, he can drive a side by side ..... and that means he can drive a SS.   I know a few others that have gone the SS route when they used to ride Trikes.  As I type this .. I don't know what made them go the SS route. I don't know their exact thoughts on what I'm about to say here.. so, for once.. I'm treading carefully.

So, here's my Opinion.  This is opinion is based on riding bikes for the last 35 years. Based on owning Bikes.  Owning a SS.  Open to owning a traditional trike.  I'm open to reverse trikes (IE Can Am Spyder).   I don't consider myself biased on the subject like many (most?).  Here we go ...

I don't believe a SS should necessarily be in a mix of bikes.  Lets say you have 10 to 20 bikes rolling down the road, I don't believe a SS should be in between them, as a motorcycle in the group.  I do believe there is nothing wrong with the SS bringing up the rear behind the Tail-gunner/Sweep bike.  Sort of a chase vehicle.  Hell, depending on the situation.. I can imagine at least one situation.... where the SS had the lead

I don't believe SS's should be in the mix of bikes at Bike Rallies.  Let me explain.  Lets take Bikes Blues and BBQ as an example.  Dixon street is blocked off to all traffic but bikes.  I don't think a SS should be rolling down Dixon Street which is Bikes only.  Now, saying that... I don't recall  how many big trikes were there, if any. Especially, big trikes like V8 Choppers or Boss Hosses..  But, SS's in my mind shouldn't going down Dixon.  I feel the same about the Lone Star Rally's "The Strand".  I've seen T-REXs and SS's in the past.  I don't think they should be on the The Strand.  My blog, my .02.  Now, if they want to attend the rallies, fine.  But don't take up bike parking from the 2 wheelers. Don't take up the bike parking at Restaurants and Bars.   I get why folks get angry about it; I do.  What I don't know is what the owners that do the parking or bikes rides are thinking.  I've never asked.  I do know that I, as an owner, and a 2 wheeled bike owner, don't feel they should. I never would while in my SS.

But it's not just SS's.  We just see more of them. The real touchy one is Can Am Spyders.  We've seen a lot of these over the years. I've ridden one and liked it!.   My .02 on these is .....   They are not a side by side but a saddle setup (you know... rider and passenger are in front/behind each other).  Your legs are over the bike.   But I do have an opinion on them in Rides.   Simple as this.  When riding in a staggered formation the rider sould pick a lane like everyone else.  They need to keep up with the folks on 2 wheels.  If they wander left to right, out of staggered formation .. or can't keep up .. they need to ride in the rear.  Hell, I believe that of all trikes.... Most trikes... and their riders.. don't do it correct.  So I have a bad habit of wanting ALL Trikes at the back of the pack.  I hate riding behind them when they don't stagger. When they constantly slow down in the corners as the folks in front of them pull away.  Drives me bat shit.  And I find myself ... writing blog posts about it!

So back to the question: are they a motorcycle.  Well, yes .. legally.  But come on folks.. lets use some common sense here.   Don't force a square peg into a round hole. We have round pegs and square pegs.  Pick the appropriate place to place your peg  (hey .. that sounded pretty good?).  We can all ride together, just do it right.   Now, what I want.   In a perfect world ... I'd do this.  My goal on future rides is to work towards this solution/scenario.  Hey .. It could happen!










Comments