Bad Ass Trike

Back about a thirteen year ago at ROT Rally in Austin, TX I saw in person what a "Boss Hoss" was.  They make them in 2 and 3 wheel varieties.  I'd heard of them in the late 90's, but they seemed too crazy and far fetched.  Then, several years after the Boss Hoss scenario, I learned about the V8 Choppers variety out of Oklahoma. These really pushed my button.  I've been tempted numerous times but could never quite execute on it.   Then back in '14 I bought a Polaris Slingshot.  That was a true jump of faith, but I've never considered it a "trike" like the previous two I just mentioned. I bought that SS sight unseen. Still, have never regretted that decision.

Sep 2018
Well, back in Sep of '18 when i was in Fayetteville over looking once again, at the V8 Choppers tent... I stumbled across the Challenger brand.   Something different about it was calling to me.   I found myself sitting over at their trailer for awhile talking and listening. Then finally mounting up on one.  Incredibly, Lucy gave me the thumbs up... the go ahead ... to do it.  But I had sticker shock and I was having trouble with the idea of where to park it.  When would I ride it?  And ... though it was cooler than hell, I'm off the charts with the Indian brand and it felt like I was 'cheating' on 'em?

Daytona 2019
I'd put it out of my mind until last month while in Daytona.  Behind the Indian Dealership, they had a V8 Bike show on the last Saturday.  There in the mix of Boss Hosses, V8 Choppers and other contraptions ..... were the Challenger Trikes.  I once again, got the business card.  This time, when I called them, the conversation took another twist.  The back fenders looked kinda' cool (still need to be closed off/valenced), but the front one looked like an HD fender.  So, I sent them a Gilroy fender I had tucked away from an eBay purchase few years ago and they did some mocking up and cutting.   Once they told me it would work, I said... " I"M IN!".   I'll finally get my "orange bike" .. I've never had one.  Custom paint similar to one I saw out at Daytona that was to die for.   But, I don't want to put a headdress on it; that'd be as bad as naming a Kawi Drifter an Indian.   Still, I've got to do something on that tank...   I want to stick with an Indian theme without crossing the line.   Question is .. what?  I've got about three weeks before I have to make that critical decision.  They had one in the process of being built that my name is now on.    Question is ...   how to 'Indianize" it?

Bad news is ... for the first time in years I traded in a bike(s) to make this one happen.   Mama's Ridley that she never rides is being traded in, and ...   the Slingshot.  That was the tough decision. Still,  I only need one trike. That slingshot has a turbo charged 4 cylinder, but, this trike has a modern LS3 Chevy V8 tucked between one's legs.   I think I'll learn to live with it?



ROT Rally 2009. I ALMOST bought this Boss Hoss instead of my first Indian





Comments