Drama-less Riding

I've been riding since '84.. what's that, about 35 years now?   My definition of 'riding' has changed over the years, but I've been licensed and owned/rode bikes that long.  Back in the day, my idea of riding was taking the bike to work.  Then over to a friends house.  Two years later, it was bar hopping.  Took a couple of all day rides (400-500 mile rides) several times.   But I never really.... RODE.  You know, jump on the bike, and just head out.  Hundred miles later, grab a bite, enjoy the sights.. and .. work your way back home.  Never occurred to me to head out and do triple digits much less 50 miles .. ..just because.  Today, the only thing stopping me is my personal schedule. My cell phone / laptop , dictate my work day, 365 days a year.   I've been married for several decades and my married life dictates my riding schedule to a degree.  And even if I'm home alone (ex. the wife is traveling out of state this week), I can't just head out and be gone all day because I've got a dog at home that relies on me.  Reality; it dictates our daily life to some degree.


Yesterday I headed out to do some errands on my bike then found myself headed over to a local watering hole.  Spent some time BSing with the locals and another Indian Motorcycle owner I'd just met, then back on the road looking for another stop point.  But, I had Peanut at home so it dictated my behavior.  Still, stopping to take in the moment a few times I found myself thinking of all this.  I love to be on 2 wheels out and about.  Whether it be in a group, with my friends, 2 up .. or by myself .. I love it.

Upon returning home for a pit stop to take care of my dog before heading out again, had a conversation with a friend I respect.   They asked me a few questions about  various riding groups, etc .. and the subject took a slight turn/twist.  They shared to me:  "I get tired of the BS .... found the xxxx has their fair share of it.  And the local biking crowd here have started grumbling, dividing people, bitching about who supports what rides and who doesn't...... and surprisingly, xxxxx  they have the same.   Good God, what the hell is wrong with people. Things are so much simpler when I can ride a couple care free miles with friends and grab a cold beer afterwards and forget the shit."  I get it.  It's a catch 22 of sorts.  I've made some great friends over the last decade due to the Motorcycle groups I've been a part of, and some still a member of.  Had some awesome times and made some incredible memories thanks to rides and events I've participated in over the last several decades. Still, sometimes you can't help but think "WTF is with all the BS drama? Can't we just ride?"   I'm fanatical about one of the brands of bikes I own, and that dictates part of my 'bike life' so to speak, but at the same time I enjoy most bikes and I don't get caught up in it all.

Last night I pulled up to a local watering hole and backed up Double V' next to a new Chieftain. At that point I heard "Nice! Another Indian!" to which I said thanks and added "nice Rocket III over there too" .  Guy behind me says 'thanks!"  Guess I just found the owner of it?  To my left was a nice Road King and a nice Dyna.   To my right the Indian, Triumph and a Kawi' Nomad.. and others.  Point being, a nice mix.  I'd find myself talking for the next hour with the new Indian owner ( it had 250 miles on it ) that came off a Honda.   But, no BS. No drama.  Just bikers/riders, having a good time.   The way it's supposed to be.

I'm headed to an event in October that initially .... I wasn't 100% looking forward to.  The part I wasn't looking forward to was the drama I 'knew' would be there waiting.  But, I've taken a fresh approach to it all.  I've gone out of my way to stay neutral on things. At the same time, it appears the other party(s) are doing the same.  The BS appears to have subsided the last few months and I can't help but hope/think, it'll remain that way.  If it does, and I believe it will, it'll be an awesome weekend for all. If it doesn't, it'll be an awesome week for most while myself and a few others will be mired in the drama.  My hope is that crap doesn't happen.  It won't on my part, moving forward.  The shit wears one out!

All that being said, I'm not innocent.  My main problem is, the moment I detect BS I pull out a large stick and begin to stir it up... slowly.. then aggressively,  until I'm not the only one that sees the BS.  Problem is, some folks are blind to the BS from beginning to end and all they see is the stirrer with the big stick.  I can laugh about it all ..  and don't care about the blind folk's opinions... but.. makes one question if it was ever worth picking up that stick at all to start?  I mean, if folks are going to walk around blind and ignorant.... why not just let them?  Hmmmm... .. .. it's just so damned difficult!  Hahahaha...

Back to the real world.  We had a an awesome afternoon here yesterday; sunny and 70 degrees.  Today looks to be the same, in to the mid 70s.  I feel a ride coming up after I get my work done.   I feel the need to just head out and put some miles on the bike; free the mind up and get the knees in the breeze.   Tomorrow I have a bike night to attend but Mother Nature is threatening us with rain.  Timing is everything and right now... it looks to suck.   So today... today I ride, drama free. Just me... or .. do I call a buddy or two?  So many decisions....


Double - V





Comments