It's a Jeep thing ....



 ............ you wouldn't understand.  Always been one of those sayings I love.   Buying my first jeep back in early '86, it's an addiction I've never overcome. Owned them off and on for over 30 years now.  Sadly, I've never taken it to the next level; that's about to change.
 The majority of folks I spend my time with ride motorcycles.  That is an addiction in itself.  A lifestyle.  I've gone off the deep end in the last decade with them and don't see that ever changing.  But, if one opens their eyes, they realize there are hundreds .. thousands of 'groups' out there that people get caught up in.   Seems like every brand of automobile, has it's clubs. There are clubs based around specific models! Then, there are clubs based around vehicles like side by sides or 4 wheelers.  What about bicycles.   I like to SCUBA dive and their are clubs worldwide based around that.   No matter what the interest one has , seems like their are groups/clubs that cater to them.  We as a whole tend to get wrapped into whatever our flavor of the month or year is, some more than others.  Well Sunday, the wife and I joined a club that I'd considered for a couple of years now.  Lone Star Jeep Club.

Couple of years ago I got the JKU.  It was a compromise for the two of us when it came to color choices, tire size, etc.   Still, there is one thing it lacks and that is serious power. I've considered from day about pulling the V6 and slapping in a Hemi.  But the cost is ridiculous and the V6 is solid motor.   So I've stayed the course, but this weekend got me to reconsidering seeing all the options at a show.  To get the most bang for the buck, I've decided to Supercharge it.  Now I've got to figure out what type.  Soon, this thing will have 50% more power.  Just  a question of a Pro Charger or Roots type .... decisions, decisions.


When we were in Florida back in December, a new 2 door Jeep (JL) went by us and we about broke our necks checking it out.  It was a new color for the '19 year; mojito green.  And in Rubicon trim, it was beautiful.  We made the decision that day, it was Leanne's next Jeep. What she didn't realize was a few weeks later, I headed to our local dealer and ordered one completely loaded up, with a deluxe soft top on it.  I told them I needed it by her Birthday; no problem they said!  Hell, it was built in 4 weeks and put on a train.. then .. gone .  They couldn't track it.  Long story short, she got it the day after her Birthday; close enough!   Now it just needs the winch and aftermarket lights, and it's complete!

Over the years, I ( we ) have owned a lot of Jeeps.  Had 3 CJs, 3 TJs, 3 JKs, 1 JL and ... soon another fourth TJ.  My main ride is a JKU and mama' just got a special ordered JL for her Birthday.  But, as crazy as it sounds.. we don't want to tear them up. I don't mind some trail riding, but the thought of tearing up the body on them, denting them up on a day gone bad, is unacceptable at this point in my mind.  So, we decided to execute on something I've been thinking about for several years; another Jeep to really play in.  However this Jeep is destined to get dirty. Take us places we've never been. Do some serious 4 wheeling in it. Possibly get the living shit beat out of it!

Initially I thought it was going to be a CJ 7 I found on Craigslist.  I wasn't crazy about the color combo but on paper, it sounded like the right one; with a transplanted V8, auto transmission and axles.   Also had a lift  35" AT tires. .. Larry Kea and I ran out to Arlington to check it out; I was ready to pay cash and get it home but.....  no go.  Obviously somebody's opinion of "runs great" and mine, are polar opposites!

As I type this, I'm rethinking the "CJ' piece.  Considering a TJ a more modern suspension.  I've zeroed in on a couple but the cost is 2x that of the CJ's I was looking at. This one really jumped at me.  Owner called me back last night and the guy can talk! But, he knows his shit and is a wealth of info.  So, as I type this I'm headed out this morning to check it out and see if it's what I believe it to be.  Minus a hemi in there, it's pretty much got everything I need. And.. I don't need a hemi in there.. but... man, that would be icing on the cake?

Back....deposit placed; pick it up next week. I feel some serious off roading in our future!








 

Comments