Krome is Home

Grub Stop in Hattiesburg,  MS

Damned .. it's been something like two months without it.  I've made the joke "Chrome won't get you home, but Krome Will!" for years now.  But, that theory just got tested.  The last time it gave up the ghost, it did make it home, before the ECU smoked in my driveway.  This time, a starter gear in the motor gave up some teeth, and it wasn't to be.  On the way back from Daytona we were rerouted to Panama City to get help, which wasn't feasible that morning.  The starter itself wasn't the problem.  As I'd written before, Donnie and Jim had to ride out by themselves and I flew out.   A month later (my bike was in the queue behind another with major issues) I got the call to come pick it up, but it'd take another month before I finally made it back.

I tried twice last week to get out there, but had to cancel both times due to some personal issues here at home.  This is when I remember how awesome Southwest Airlines can be.  I used to fly them all the time , but the last decade I've been committed to American Airlines.  When leaving Panama City last time, I was on a smaller AA regional jet, and noticed SWA was flying full size jets back to Dallas.  I checked into it, and the costs were the same so that is what I booked.  When I had to canx my flights... twice.. they allow you with NO additional fees (unlike AA), to re-book with those funds for the next flight.   So, when I made the THIRD reservation, I was using all my previous funds.  No issues, no losses. Score!

Well, I've just canceled my Vegas work trip with mama going with me due to the personal issues.. but .. she's feeling  a lot better now and able to get around, weather looks like I may have a window of opportunity, so I book it and we're a go.  Yesterday morning mama took me to the airport, she beat the weather and traffic home, and I'm headed west to pick up Krome.  I'm fourth one on the plane so I get a great exit row aisle seat.  I'm one of the biggest guys on the plane, but ... now the next biggest guy taken the window seat next to me.   We've got the stewardess standing between us as the plane boards so I'm thinking our seat is going to be empty.  As the last folks get on, we've got a full flight and a guy as big as the two of us sitting there, decides he needs that center seat.  Are you fucking kidding me?  Guy next to me is literally saying "no .. no .. no." Well, for the next 90 minutes we have a war of the shoulders; ridiculous.  Lesson learned; next time get the Aisle seat next to me that had only 2 seats so each individual can lean opposite directions.  SMH.  While sitting there the next 90 minutes, I'm going over my game plan in my mind.  How I'm going to pack up the bike, my route (I vaguely know which roads I'm taking but haven't locked in yet), and doing an equipment 'check' in my mind.  Crap.  When I headed to Daytona I had baggage packed and situated behind me and that was my back rest, but I'd sent that back with Jim and now realizing; I don't have a backrest.  In the last deacade, I haven't done a 500+ trip without back support.  This would turn out to be the only mistake I'd make, and I paid for it in discomfort!

I'm off the plane, and decided to check out the cab situation instead of Uber, and we've got a line of 'em out front.  As I walk up to the cabbies standing there, first one asks "Where's your motorcycle?". I'm wearing a Bike Rally shirt and carrying an Indian saddle bags insert, so I'm thinking "cute." .  Then the second guy asks if I'm renting one.  I'm thinking 'this is getting strange'.  I relay I'm here to pick my bike up which has them all excited and talking about the Rally now.. and it's my turn.  "What rally?" I'm asking..   They are snickering and saying "BIKE WEEK!".  I had no idea this week was the Thunder Beach bi-annual rally week(end).  Duh.  I've been so focused on work, my wife's health, and picking up my bike that it'd never crossed my mind.  As we're headed to the dealer I'm seeing a lot of bikes already, and it's only Tuesday. The HD dealer is all setup with Vendor tents and as we pull up to the Indian dealer, vendors are rolling in , they are setting up a sound stage and Indians parked 'everywhere!".  First thing upon entering the door is grab a shirt for mama and one for Donnie, head over to the service desk to chat with Jennifer (my rock-star main POC at the dealer), and things are moving quickly.  She's having Krome washed (literally.. they are drying it off as we spoke), I'm paying my $50 deductible, she's telling me I'm the lowest maintenance customer she's ever dealt with, I'm explaining I have more than one bike that eased the pain in the situation, Krome is rolled in, and we're a go.  I do a quick check of the bags and laughing at it all.  Full bottle of Tito's Vodka laying in the unzipped rear bag. Gloves and helmets and glasses and ..  you name it, laying in the rest of the bags all unlocked.  When I'd left it, I was in a hurry and didn't inventory or lock anything up; its all there of course.   I've been here less than 45 minutes and time to go!  It's 93 degrees, sunny and I'm headed out; the wrong direction. The Bike Rally is setting up and I'm headed North, but not before I pulled into the HD Dealer, grabbed a Rally shirt, and I'm off!  Bikes are rolling in and this Lone Wolf is headed out. Soon I'm into Mobile, AL and the temps have dropped into the upper 80s.   Then I'm into Mississippi, sun is dropping and the temps are in the low 80s.   When the sun falls below the horizon, it's time to change the gear.  Dark Goggles swapped with night eye protection and time to pull out a jacket.

Few years ago I picked up an Indian Motorcycle Touring jacket.  Looks like one of those you see the ADV guys on Dual purpose bikes wearing.  It's been in the closet with tags on it, and with the long distance ride staring at me, inclement weather. And its' a solo ride.. somehow seems appropriate. Man, I'd forgotten how heavy it was, how much insulation, and water repellent it is; why I bought it.  Well, I'm donning it trying to figure out all the zippers and Velcro straps and eventually say F*** it and I'm off.  The chill that was in the air is a distant memory; this jacket ROCKS. The miles continue to slide by, the darkness envelops the road as the traffic dissipates and I'm putting the miles on.  I soon hit Jackson, MS and it's onto the Interstate where I'll be for the second half of this trip.   The beauty of riding by oneself is you can zip through traffic, make quick stops, crank up the tunes and your oblivious to the BS elsewhere on the road.  Negative is, there is always a warm n' fuzzy factor when have others with you.  It's still in the back of my mind that the Krome gave up the ghost last trip. I can smell oil still which has me looking down at the motor and lower extremities of the bike for a leak.  Eventually any that was on the bike from the work done burns off and is a faded memory.  I'm
POTENT!!!!
rolling at 80mph down the Interstate making time.  North Texas has some weird weather patterns that have concerned me for a few days, and it's looking bad North of my destination, but between myself and it, there is only a small band of rain showers and it slams me 50 miles east of the state line.  It's coming down good and up ahead I see a truck stop so I quickly pull in to fill up, grab another cup of potent java and ...  it's gone.  I'm checking the weather radar and it appears all the rain I'm going to find.. just hit me and moved East.  SCORE!  Slam another high octane Java and I'm headed into Texas.  I've been staying hydrated, caffeinated and just enough food where this has been an awesome trip. Still has the miles are ticking, so is the clock.  Before I get off the Interstate and head northbound on Hwy 36, it's 0200 hrs.  My back is killing me, starting to get a lil tired, so it's one final gas stop , and snack and my third and last coffee.  This whole trip I've been on the lookout for future road kill but I don't seen anything.  I mean .. nothing!  On the side, I see an occasional armadillo, skunk or squirrel dead and rotting, but alive and moving in front or around me? Nothing.  Just the way I like it. 

It's 0330, and I'm pulling up to the home.  Slide Krome into the garage, sneak into the house, quick hot shower.. and I'm done  Krome.. .. is Home.

Few thoughts .....

1.  Extended Warranties sometimes pay off. This one did .. Big.  Krome on it's 5 year anniversary, I got a one year extended.  Paid off big time!

2.  Iron Butt style riding has a cool factor sometimes .. but..  I would have really liked to have stuck around for a day or two of the rally. I'd like to have stopped in MS to visit my nephew. But, wasn't an option this trip.  I needed to get back home ASAP

3.  When on the road, stay hydrated and eat light.  I was rolling with zero issues

4.  Back Support.  I left my back rest at home. Don't leave home without it!






Hey . got the shirt!



Comments