Steel Horse Rally V





Donnie had told me about this last year... he'd rolled up there, but I was thinking "I'm going to BBBQ . .why would I go there?"   Simple.  Because you can!

What's the diff?  Well, one is May other is Sep.  One is a 30 or 40k folks.... other is 300 or 400k folks.  One is 250 miles each way, other is over 300 miles away.  And....   hell .. why not both!?

I'd been planning on rolling up on Double V' since Krome was out in FL in the shop, but I'd managed to break away a few days earlier to grab my main Iron Steed.  Mama's health wasn't 100% so I was rolling in alone.  It's amazing how much you do NOT have to pack for a two day trip, just 250 miles away.  ONLY things I cared about.. Leather jacket and rain gear!  This was going to be a simple one.

Friday morning I decided to head out earlier than normal to beat the weather and it worked.  We've had crazy storms this spring and the day before was no exception. However before the sun came up the roads were dry so my ass was in the saddle and rolling NE to Ft Smith, AR.  This is an awesome ride because you can stay off the major roads all the way to the destination, which I did.  Out in the sticks of OK, I found a great old school place to grab breakfast then back down the road.  The views were awesome, rolling through the edge of the Oachita Mountain Range, and the Clayton Lake State Park, Talimena State Park,  and Lake Wister State Park; what's not to like?  Soon, you're out of the trees and you know you're getting close.  You're quickly up I-540 and see Ft Smith.  Arrived!

Funny thing is ... I don't know exactly where I'm going.  I mean, I know the hotel name we are staying at, but it's too early to check in and I never looked up it's location.  I have no idea where exactly the rally is, but I know it's downtown, but where's downtown?  I've got 8 exits to Ft Smith and as I'm debating which one takes me downtown, I see the HD dealer off to my left and some vendor tents so I jump off at that exit. As I'm pulling up I see the local Combat Vets chapter set up among other groups; perfect!  Introduce myself to a few, buy some raffle tickets for a good looking gun, get some directions and I'm off!  Few moments later I'm parking the bike and ordering a Bloody Mary.  Less than an hour later Donnie and Stump roll up;   Let the fun begin!

Few drinks and it's time to get this party started.  We ride up a few block to the Brewery, grab some grub and drinks, back on the bikes and checking in to a Hilton property.   Then back on the bikes to find a liquor store to stock up for the weekend.  We lucked out finding a place called Sodies where they had an awesome inventory and offered up a Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey tasting for the three of us; score!   Hell, I left with several extra bottles thanks to that, finding some new options.  Then, back to the hotel and checking out the weather, we made a critical decision in our favor.  We wanted to kick it up, knew we'd get soaked so did the smart thing.  Called Uber!  I couldn't believe we did it , but turned out to be a brilliant decision.  So, back to downtown to kick it up for the night.

With the bad weather rolling in, I was amazed how many bikes were rolling in.  Still, it was obvious to me attendance was down, vendors were frustrated, but the beer was cold and the music was rocking; what we were there for.  We worked our way among the bars, hit a few vendors but soon our stomachs reminded us whom was boss so we had another decision to make.  We soon found ourselves at a Hooters near our hotel via Uber and not only had some awesome wings, but our waitress would turn out to be a contestant in the bikini contest the following night. Yes, she was young and hot.  Bill paid, back to the room to taste some of the bounty from Sodies.   Good timing on our part as it was pouring out, but we found solice under a covered porch at the hotel.  Eventually Stump pulls the plug and it's just Donnie and I when I ask what time it is... ... 0130 hours... WHAT?  I'm done.  Out of here!

Daylight is upon us.  After a few cups of java and a small bite to eat, we're on the bikes and headed East.  We've got sunshine and warmth, and the Pig Trail is calling our names.  Thirty minutes later we are on Hwy 23 and rolling North.   The Pig Trail is one of those 'famous' rides in the country.  Lots of twisties, a few switchbacks, and the scenery is awesome.  Seems like we just stared rolling when we pull up to Turner Bend.  There's a canoe event here (across the street is a river), the temps are down, the beer are sipping is cold, and we're kicking back.  I'm  used to large groups where everyone is wandering around, back on the bikes, trying to get everyone ready... but .. .we're just kicking back, enjoying the view and bullshitting.  I'm digging this.   Eventually, the can of beer is empty and the route is calling our name.  We've made the decision to roll up 23' all the way to Eureka Springs and I'm psyched.  I did make one critical error on this day though.  I'm donning a short sleeve tee shirt, chose not to pack my heavy leather jacket and I'm noticing the temps are still in the mid 60s.  What I didn't see coming was they'd drop all the way to 59 before we pulled up at the Cat House.  Sum' Bitch!   Kicker is/was, I never got truly cold. Now, I wasn't comfortable, but I knew just a lil bit later we'd be at our destination and I'd find a solution.  But, 59 degrees?  Cloudy with no sunshine?  Brrr!!!   Eventually we pull up to the Cat House, park the rides out front and the sec we walk in I see their merchandise and asking for a hoodie!  Once I drop that $50, off to find the guys in the bar and grab a bite to eat and sip some cold beers!

We've got a rally to get back to, so back on the bikes and taking a different way back, via Fayetteville.  I know these roads well, having ridden them 1-3 times a year attending rallies in the area. the last decade. Soon, we're on the interstate and hauling ass south.  By the time we get back to Ft Smith, we've got sunshine and the temps are in the 80s!  That lil freeze spell is quickly a distant memory.  Stripping down back to the tee shirt, bikes parked in the mix of thousands and we're off to revisit the previous afternoon's establishments.  The places are packed now, bikes everywhere, all the vendor tents operational. Last nights' shitty weather is gone, folks are having a good time and we're planning the evening.  The bikini show is held over at the concert area, Stump like's the headliner for the show so we're back on the bikes and headed down to the waters' edge for the show.  Twenty bucks later we're in and headed to the beer tent.  We'll spend the next several hours down here listening to some hard rock music and enjoying the sunset and views (did I mention a bikini contest?).  Still, we've got to get back on the bikes so we keep it in check. I'm dragging ass and actually starting to nod off thanks to lack of sleep the previous night,  so Donnie give's me a thump to wake my ass up and we're out of there.   Back to the Hotel to do a lil more sippn'.  Tomorrow we leave.  I've got to get back to take care of some personal things so I call it an early night (compared to the previous).

We're all up and moving around 0900 hrs.  I'm back on the bike and headed home, riding solo.  I'm truly looking forward to this ride.  Saturdays ride rocked.  This 250 miles on Hwy 271 to Texas rocks.  The rally was an awesome time with my buddies.   I'm making a mental note to get it on the calendar for 2020 to do it again.  Before I know it, it's about 1330 and I'm parking the bike and unpacking.  Damned that was a quick 2 days!  Ready for Steel Horse Rally VI 2020 come 1 May .






























Comments