Topless Weekend! Part II

I wrote about this last year :  Topless Weekend! Said I was done, but...... I returned




Jeep Topless Day .. it's a nationwide event.  Down here, it's historically been held at Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula since it's a publicly accessible beach folks can drive on.  Last year was my first time.  I thought it was my last.  I was wrong; this year was my last. Period.  Last year, I was frustrated with the other all the SxS vehicles, trucks, etc.  I was mentally prepared for that this time, but I wasn't prepared for the oncoming chaos.

My daughter flew into Houston earlier this week.  My nephew rolled in with his Jeep.  His GF/Beth flew in to Houston.  We rolled in a few days ago with our Jeep. My niece lives here locally and is going to join us.   We know the way this is going to play out and we're ready and better prepared than last year; sort of.  A lil twist is there is MAGA group coming in as well with their event overlapping. Overall we had an awesome weekend on the Island of Galveston as always.

The event.

Friday we hopped over on the ferry headed east. No lines and pretty uneventful.  Rolled up to "The Big Store" to grab some event tee shirts.   I've seen this place from the road, but thanks to FB, it's caught my attention lately.  This place is the shit!   Anything and everything is in there.  We picked up a few shirts, a vehicle pass for the beach , and we're headed towards the water.  This year I'm not overwhelmed, just smiling.  Jeeps are everywhere up and down the beach.  Tide is out and we've got lots of space to rolling up and down the beach.   We're looking for MEO and find their setup within 30 minutes but .. they are nowhere to be seen.   We roll east until we hit the 'end' , stop and make some drinks and head back down the beach west.   Impressive jeeps, crazy over the top SxS,  4 wheelers... even motorcycles .. running up and down the beach.   I came this year with an open mind knowing this is no longer a 'jeep event' but a Beach event with all variations of off road vehicles.   Overall, it's a great day.  We've got the dogs with us so we can stay as long as we want.  We run the entire gauntlet, make some drinks, meander around while parked, then... back home. Best part is weather rocked, no long lines on the ferry, no major traffic.  Back home to do some grilling and hanging out on the back deck.  Day 1 is in the record books.




For Day 2, we opt to head out later than normal.   It's close to 6:30pm when we get to the ferry. The line stretches almost to the seawall, so we've got a wait ahead of us.  For awhile I'm blocking the right lane to keep the asses from cutting in the line, but pissed off a few which got a LEO to ask me to take a right and go to the back.  Took us about 30 seconds to convince her I wasn't cutting... just ...   attempting to control the situation.  Luckily she let me back in line; whew!  Over an hour later, we're boarding and headed over to Crystal Beach. There are several Jeeps on the ferry, but the majority are in cars, they don't look local and they are headed somewhere. Guys next to get out of their car and their pants are hanging down below their asses, with the underwear showing; you get the picture. I'm looking around and thinking " I bet most of these fuks' are headed to the same place I am". I was right.  It's after 8:30pm we exit the ferry and we see flashing lites up ahead.  The chaos is beginning and a few of us are questioning the value of coming over, but we're committed .  We head to the East side of the event and drop in.  Compared to the previous day, its got a different feel to it.   More kids.  More trucks and cars.   SxS's are everywhere as well as a good amount of Jeeps. But, there are tons of cars with folks that appear to be from Houston here, crashing the party.   We jump into the fray and head westerly.  The game plan is to find a place to park it and enjoy the party.   Within thirty minutes I spot an opening next to some other Jeeps and we park it.   Doesn't take long for me to get a lil' frustrated.   SxS's are cutting through traffic as are folks in cars, in total disregard of the traffic flow.   Soon, I've got a golf cart cutting through within inches of me.   I'm in disbelief when a few minutes later he's headed back and cuts by us.... I'm met with a single finger salute as I called him a "Fucking Idiot".  He turned around , but quickly kept on going.  That'd be the last time we saw him.  It's not long before mama is saying " I want to go."   Can't say I blame her; it was a zoo.   So, dragging my feet we headed out.  The rest of our crew opted to hang out a lil longer.   Now the fun; a slow dreadful procession looking for an exit point.  Eventually out of frustration I do what I don't want to do; take the gulf side and proceed through the water.  Other's have the same idea, getting past the major traffic jam.  Finally we see an exit point and dive through an opening and we're free!  Within minutes we're back on the blacktop and headed to the Ferry.  I'm debating on stopping at HardHeads for a cold one, but it's closed.  Turns out other businesses were doing the same thing, to keep their employees out of harms way.Last year we had a 2 hour wait to get back via the ferry.  This year, we'd have a 3 hour wait.   We got to watch a Jeep get pulled over and busted. No doubt they were drunker than hell, from their driving behavior.  Guy up ahead of us looked like he passed out in his truck while in line.  Guessing he earned a DUI from that one.  Hell, I'm nodding off; couple of times with my foot on the brake while it's in Drive.  Yikes!  I'm beat and it'll be 2:30 in the morning before I pull into the driveway.  The rest of our group will have it worse and won't make it home until 0700.  Brutal! It'd have been quicker heading out Easterly and up to the Interstate and come down from Houston and that's a 2 hour trip.   Lesson learned there somewhere!

Sunday, social media was filled with rumors and facts about the week. Supposedly a few people died.  Then it was six dead. Then 13 dead.   Hundreds of arrests.   Police were overwhelmed.  Now, it appears that only one or two have may lost their lives. Guessing it'll be a few more days until all the real facts/news come out about it all.  Still, it was chaos.   Ambulances to were rolling on and off ferry with lights on.  Life Flight was utilized half a dozen times.   People fell out of Jeeps and trucks and were run over on the beach. Just glad we got out of there intact.

Did I have a good time?  Friday I did.  Sunday we  took off to hang out at Pointe West.   The weekend overall was a good one, hanging out at the house..   But, was it worth going down Saturday nite?  Hell no. Will I go 2020?  Hell no.  I'm just wondering will the authorities shut it down in the future.   That my prove to be interesting.  
 



https://abc7chicago.com/thousands-sign-petition-to-end-go-topless-jeep-weekend-after-violence/5310568/


Interesting Post I found: 
Texas Patriot Network
So here is the facts about this past weekend on the Bolivar Peninsula, Maga Beach Bash took place over by the Bolivar Flats between barrels 7 and 8, barrels 8 thru about 20 was a ghost town (about 2 miles) and then the foolishness began and ran all the way up to about barrel 99+. There has been some accusations of Maga beach bash leaving a mess on the beach which is totally false everyone has seen the pictures and videos but there has also been accusations made against (jeeper groups) for the mess this weekend which is also false, many know that tpn and some of the Jeep groups share a lot of members, here are the facts
Several Jeep groups did not take part because they knew what was going to happen.
Several Jeep groups are on that beach every weekend and also take part in adopt-a-beach programs and take pride in keeping their area and environment clean.
There is no group or groups to blame for the issues that took place out there this past weekend just Bad apples and young immature individuals that decide to come out for the wrong reasons, fortunately we had no issues or any of these individuals come down or interfere with the Maga beach bash, The event was a total success with attendees coming from as far as Arizona and even Florida.
We will continue to have our gatherings on the beaches, However we totally support what the city and County decides on to prevent this nonsense that many witnessed out there this weekend.
If you decide to come and enjoy the beautiful coastlines Texas has to offer please be respectful to the environment and the residence of that area.
If anyone tries to tell you that the (Maga event or Jeepsters) are responsible this past weekend consider that nothing more than FAKE NEWS ( probably from some uninformed idiot)









Comments