LONGRIDER - Gone in the Wind

What seems many moons ago....  a good friend of mine, initially reached out to me.  Via forums and FB, we became connected and our friendship launched.   Looking through FB's PM I find myself reminiscing a lil bit.

A few times, Steve reached out to me telling me he would be out in Jefferson City, TX for the Boo' Rally.  If I knew then what I know know, I'd been there in a second.  If I remember right he was volunteering with the event; it'd become a fav' of his.  Back then he did a lot of road trips to Wylie Texas and would reach out to me. Finally, in Sep of '13 he made it out my way. I popped a few cold ones for us, he looked at my garage and shook his head at me (lot of shit in there; we'll leave it at that).  That was the day, our friendship took off.  I'm digging through pics as I type this and sadly, none from that first meeting.  A few days later I'd hook up and head to Eureka Springs to park the RV and attend Bike Blues and BBQ up in Fayettville.   Unknown to me, Steve really like to attend that the last few years but I don't recall him coming up until a couple of years ago.


Riding at IRIP May '14


Fast forward to Branson (IRIP) in '14 and this is when I truly got to know Steve and his family. What
Go Cart Racing
truly sticks out in my mind is I saw he and Richard we're going to head out for a ride with the family and I'd asked if I could join.  Before we headed out though, it looked like a wet afternoon so they changed the destination to Branson to ride Go Karts. I followed along and had the most fun I've had in years that day.  I was laughing and crying so hard, my stomach hurt.  I think we broke every published rule they had, but wearing our vests there was no way in hell they wanted tried to try and stop us?  I'm shocked we didn't tear anything up!
I remember thinking "That's Bad Ass!"

After that weekend at Branson,  I really got to know Steve.  He told me his stories, we chatted on the phone, messaged and saw each other multiple times a year.  Branson, Hot Springs, Sturgis, Fayettville, Galveston,  Durango, Purgatory, Kerrville ... I came to know, love and respect the guy.  Steve was the real deal.  He enjoyed busting balls as much as I did.  Enjoyed the limelight a notch, and handled it well!  Awhile back we were all headed to my place in Galveston for Lone Star Rally, and Bob Dalton make a joke/bet, about wearing a speedo on the beach.   I ran from it; Steve embraced it.  That trip, 'Speedo Man' was born!  Not only did he don one, but he owned the moment!  Then we got a repeat this past June in the Hill Country.  Steve could take a situation that would embarrass many of us, and flip it/spin it and run with it all in fun.



Few weeks ago I got the call. I went numb; in shock of sorts.  If I hadn't been to his funeral, I'm not sure I would have accepted it as I have.   I miss him.

Rest In Peace Longrider

 


LONGRIDER Road Name

Early on I asked Steve about that nickname and this is what he told me .  Years ago, he had a Honda Shadow 750 and was hanging with two buddies when one of them said "Lets go to Sturgis".  On a whim the three of them packed up and rode straight through.  Upon arrival they rode around downtown, checked a few places out and this same guy said "okay..we've seen it, lets head back!".  And they did.  Somewhere along the way, Steve got split up from them on the way back and somehow connected up with his twin brother, Richard whom was out driving his rig.  Then Steve made it the rest of the way home.  Longrider was born.

Rest In Peace Brother


Comments