Hypocrisy

I'm a hypocrite ... sort of.

This past trip to Galveston we had an issue with the home.  When I turned on the main water valve, I started hearing water from the deck area on the beach side.  Thought "damned .. it's not raining outside .. where is all that coming from?".   Well, long story short, the water spigot on the top floor outside had rusted off; literally.  The water was not only spewing out, but inside the wall to the main floor, dripping out/through, the ceiling.   Quickly shut it off preventing any major damage, but now time to find a solution.

I'm not a plumber but I could have fixed it.  I pulled the siding off the house, but the the main fix would be behind the sheathing on the side of the home.  I don't have the tools on hand for this.  I could have bought them. But I'm not set up with a tool box, etc down here.  So, as usual with most things down here, I outsource the bigger problems.

Now to the point of this blog post.  The company I hired sent in two guys that spoke very lil' English.  It's obvious to anyone with a brain that there is a 99 percent chance these two gents aren't "legal" .   Do I give a shit?  No.  Really nice guys, and they knew exactly what they were doing to solve my problem.  At my home in Greenville I've run into the same issue for the last 25 years.   Lawn care, home projects, you name it.   In the labor pool are a lot of folks with questionable 'legality.' If someone doesn't speak much English, doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

I've said over time .. " I don't blame them. I'd do the same" .  True statement.  However, I also believe if they get 'busted' and sent back over the border, shit happens.   If you break the law and it's obvious you aren't a citizen of this great nation and one is here illegally....  sionara.  Bye.  See ya.    But, if someone is working hard, doing it right, making a living ......  not my problem.  I'm not going to call the Popo'.  I'm not going to be calling ICE.   But, if they show up .... .well.. shit happens. When someone breaks the law and shit goes south, time to pay up.   We all know the risks and consequences.

Does that make me a Hypocrite?  Maybe.    I love going to countries such as Mexico.  Pretty much everyone I've met South and North of the border in my lifetime that are citizens of that country are good people.   However we have laws.  We have borders.   I support those laws and boundaries.   But I love people too.  I consider some friends.

Now.....  to fix that damage in the ceiling.  Think I'll call my handyman Mark.   He's a white boy, not that it matters.  Wait .. does that make me racist?






Comments