2014 Chief Headlight LED Resisitors - Indian Motorcycle

They should call me the "King of Procrastination"

I got Sugar B' back in October time frame from an array of upgrades, before LSR19.  But before heading down to LSR, I realized my new LED headlight was out.  Only reason I knew was the blue high beam indicator blinks and I'd had it happen on the Chieftain before.  I had it upgraded to LEDs, but the '14s have a VCM issue with the install of these lights.  So either you upgrade the VCM ( some claim a new flash worked for them) or you put some inline resistors in place.  That's what they did but they used a newer more expensive option...that immediately failed.   After reaching out to Junior, I had a part number and got them on order via Amazon.  But, I procrastinated.  When I got to Galveston, realized my two driving lights on the bar, were more than bright enough.  Bam!  But, I'm headed out on an important scenario with the bike this week and need that light working...  so ... here we go.  Few texts and calls into Junior and I'm pulling out the new resistors and tackling the job.

Have to admit I was a notch nervous.  Found this VIDEO by Indian Motorcycle, and it gave me a warm fuzzy on how to access the wires.   Had trouble getting my fingers in there.  And if I screwed this up (which would have been hard to do) I'd be shitting my pants on my timeline and have to trailer it in to a dealer.  As it turned out, this was so simple I'm sorta' embarrassed I even worried about it.  In my defense, the way the previous one was wired up compared to the two new ones, was a notch confusing.  Junior straightened me out on in all, on his free time  ....  success!

Found the location of the faulty aftermarket resistor.
You can see the 3 splices here into the wires that go to the connector
at the rear of the headlight.

These run hot!
The Fix
Simple R&R with the new ones

Strapped in and tested perfect




__________________________


Comments