Group rides - Positioning

 
Had a nice ride yesterday with a small group for about 150 miles total myself. Thought we'd get soaked but turned out to be a beautiful day.  Still, got to thinking while in the pack about a few things.  The good thing is everyone rode tight and it was basically almost a perfect ride.  But my position in the pack got me to thinking ....

For the last 12 years or so I've found myself leading the groups 95% of the time I ride.  It just happened that way.  In the beginning, I didn't want to .. but the group I was with always asked me to lead so I did. After awhile it was second nature. Over the years I've blogged about this as I've learned all the dos and don't s.  Gotten a little opinionated about it all.

  1. Group Riding

     

  2. Group Ride .. Pet Peeves

 Yesterday I started off #3 which hasn't happened for awhile.  Since we weren't in twisties and mostly 'straight' roads, we were able to ride tight the entire time.  Leader took the inside as most do (should?), #2 was on him really tight so I did the same to him. Number 4 was tight on me, 5 a lil less and 6 was a trike with tail gunner duty. If #2 fell back, I did as well.  The leader rode like I used to, right up on the yellow line flawlessly. Over the years when riding 2 up, my wife has asked (begged?) me to get off that line so I tend to ride in a notch more now, on the car tire track for no better word. Few years ago, I was pulling up on a guy on the interstate (several bike distances behind him), we were doing about 85 when he apparently hit the edge and all hell broke loose because he rode too close to the shoulder.  That was a scary sight to see him go down right next (into?) those triple cables they separate the interstate middle area with.  Since then, I stay off the far left edges so to speak.  One thing that I keyed on was you have to really pay attention to two bikes not just one (true for all bikes at third spot or further back). No bigggee, sort of a natural thing but again, I was analyzing it.  Distancing off the guy on my upper right, lined up sort of off the guy in front.  No biggee... but compared to what I'm going to discuss next, a little bit of 'work.'  On the way back, I found myself in #2 spot. This is where I'm normally at when not leading.  In some ways, this is the easiest spot to ride.  Only thing you're thinking about is your distance off the leader.  No brainer, simple. Well, not for a guy I was behind again .... a few years back.  On a sweeping left turn he found the edge and went into the ditch holding on for about 30 yards, hitting a 6x6 at about 50mph.  So again, I now don't ride as close to the right shoulders as I used to.  One thing I've learned over the years though is pay attention to the lead bike's blinkers if he's not using hand signals, especially in town.  Had a close call few years back when from a stop, the leader was taking a right at an intersection.  Never saw his blinker (which was on).  No hand signal.  No discussion of it when we were BSing at the light.  Had I grabbed the throttle hard as I often do, would have been a different outcome.  As he began to move I noticed his front tire turn, no harm no foul. Today, I ALWAYS take a quick look over at the rear blinkers in that situation.  Always.  Have to admit, makes for an enjoyable ride in this spot.  Halfway home, the leader jumped out of the pack headed home as we continued on to our homes.  I do a quick move to the left lane and I'm in the lead.  Now, I'm smiling.  The lead bike either didn't have or didn't use, cruise.  The majority of the time, whenever possible... my cruise is on. When back in the pack works well to rest your hand, grab a drink whatever but can be a bitch syncing up to the lead bike's speed/cruise. But when you're the lead bike, you set the speed, relax your grip and enjoy the ride.  Only thing you have to worry about is making sure everyone gets through a light. Everyone can pass with you (wait up for them if they didn't make the pass with the group) and ... look for the speed limit reductions (might have fuk'd that pooch a few times!).  Otherwise, its a no brainer and simple. I've come to love leading the rides overall.  If you're relying on your GPS .. well.. that can suck sometimes.  On local rides... LOVE IT.  

Who'd of thunk' all this BS crossed my mind in a few hours of riding yesterday.  My buddy on the lead bike has some nice Bluetooth earbuds I was admiring.  I've got a killer stereo system on my bike but with loud pipes and doing 75mph ... well, can't hear shit. He told me the ICS quieted things down, they stay set in his ears.... maybe .. .I need to start wearing mine for some nice tunes down the road and not blasting everyone else......

Damned that was a nice ride ... ready for the next.

 

KRUSH


 

Up early, ready to roll

 

 

Comments

Administrator said…
"look for the speed limit reductions (might have fuk'd that pooch a few times!)."

I can attest.
RickkciR said…
Bad habit of mine rolling into towns and missing that new speed limit sign..... So far...no tickets. But..have been pulled over :)