Making Lemonade ...

Was going to post this under the CVMA Blog... but .. things took a turn.  The CVMA Gulfport MS chapter had their meeting yesterday and we planned to attend.  I pinged them for the location; VFW in Gulfport with the street address.  I opened up Google Maps ... type in VFW and there it is.  I remember it from the Poker run last year, have the visual ... look at the cross streets and we're on.  It's a chilly one, but sunny out.  It's in the upper 30s, but by the time we mount the bike it's up to 40deg.  No Leather, but we're warm enough and rolling down Hwy 90 with the Gulf on our right.  Fifteen minutes later we roll up and I'm thinking "you're kidding me .. no one else rode?"  There are a dozen vehicles, but none have Combat Vet stickers which is the norm.  Hmmmm.   Couple of doors open, lots of noise.  So, we're getting off, taking off the jackets ... when a guy my age comes out and I ask him which door is the front.  I'm getting a strange look followed up by "it's closed and being remodeled." WTF?   I pull up my messages again to check location and time.  Yep .. 1000hrs . Yep .. VFW ..  street address.. ruh roh ...   I suddenly remember the Poker Run from last year and we were up on the North end of Gulfport at ... yep ...  a second VFW.  Crap!   Looking at the distance .. the times .. and we're going to walk into an ongoing meeting. I'm not liking this...  so we decide to jump on the bike and make the best of it.  What's the saying .. when you are dealt Lemons, make Lemonade?   Well, we bundle back up and head south a few miles back to Hwy 90 and head further East towards Biloxi.  We decide to pull up to Lucys' our new fav and I'm thinking some breakfast and a Bloody Mary .. but.. it's Saturday not Sunday. We're parked by the beach area, guy comes out and messing around in the vehicle next to me .."you all open?" and I get a ..'nope .. still closed .. I start playing guitar and singing at 11am" ... hmmm  .. we tell him we'll be back to listen, start it up and head further east to burn a half hour of time.  We make it to Ocean Springs, top off the tank, and do a reverse course.  It's definitely warming up now and close to about 50deg.  I love this view of the gulf.  White sand beaches, sun reflecting on the calm water (which is in the low 80s believe it or not) and putting along at the speed limit (warmer that way!).  We pull up to Lucys again, we can hear the music streaming out the bottom area so we find the bar.  


Damned it's chilly in here!   They've got some heaters on, he's playing in the corner smiling at us and .. we are the ONLY ones here.  I mean, there  isn't even a bartender!  We park it at the bar for a few songs.... and Lucy tells me ... one more song and nobody shows, we're out of here.  Timing is everything because the bartender meanders down from upstairs right about this time, apologizing that he didn't realize anyone else was here.  Forget that the guy has been playing for fifteen minutes?  LOL.  Anyways .. he opens the garage doors up, we see some tables in the Sun, grab a Mimosa and Bloody Mary and relocate to the warmth.  The music sounds even better out there so ..... score!  Few drinks each and some awesome spicy queso and chips ...   we accomplished our version of 'lemonade'.   Close up the check, back on the bike ... headed west.

Lucy wants to make a quick pitstop in a beach tourist shop for a sweatshirt so we pull into Sharkheads.  It's got all the cool things for the kids to take pics with downstairs for the kids/tourists and inside a stupid amount of anything and everything that says "Biloxi Beach" on it.  At the door is a sign that says NO GUNS / WEAPONS ... blah blah .. huh.  Well, I've got a 9mm holstered on my hip so do a quick check to make sure it's tucked away out of sight under my shirt/jacket and in we go.  What they don't know won't hurt them.  This must be a safe place since 'no one' could have a gun in here?  SMH .  Reason I write about it is , on the back wall they've got a line of Patriotic shirts for sale to include one that says ... Gun Safety Rule #1, 2nd Amendment ,  Carry One!   Huh...   anyone else see the humor/hypocrisy here?  Fucking idiots...  


The area down here attracts a lot of events  ...   based around Jeeps .. . custom cars ...  low riding trucks.  Nothing going on this weekend , but a dozen Mustangs are working their way west, and we end up in the lane next to them for the next fifteen miles.  A few new Shelbys ..  an older Cobra ..  some convertibles (pussys looked cold... lol) ..and I believe a '69 fastback.  They were revving up at lights .. speeding up .. slowing down .. etc, etc .. got a lil kick out of it.  I tried to get the lead one to step on it .. but as I accelerated away, he backed off... hey, the kid in me came out.

Few minutes later ... we're back.  Daughter was like "wtf ...  ummm ... those pics weren't from the meeting" .. lol .. so we had some explaining to do ..

Hey .... we were making Lemonade!   It'll make it up to 67 deg .... too bad that meeting wasn't scheduled a lil later? :)




Sugar B'






Comments