Steel Horse Rally (SHR) 2023

 Got a double in this year.  Been going since 2019, so our forth time.  The CVMA's 7-3 Chapter was having their second sanctioned event at the same time... so ... score!

Had a great time last year, so making plans this time around was a no brainer.  Few weeks' after last years, I made hotel reservations.  I made them at the Wyndham AND the Marriott, next door to each other.  We historically stayed at the Wyndham (previously a Hilton DoubleTree), but I'm also a Marriott member so made a decision to hedge my bets and made both.  When the smoke cleared, the majority of us stayed at the Marriott, but the Kennedys' were late to the game making plans, and took my Wyndham reservation.  

The rally officially starts at Friday at noon, but we chose to head up a day early.  So Boudreaux and Nance jumped on their trike and I mounted Krush for the ride.  Lucy would cage up in "Hot Rod" the following day.  Coming in from Hot Springs was Double D and Stump.  Down from Rogers was JFD, followed by Daniella in her Jeep. Loctite was supposed to roll in from MS 44-2, but .... he had to canx at the last minute.  So now, we're all watching the weather.

A week out, looked some some shitty weather.  Then a few days out, nothing but sunshine was forecasted.  I'm thinking .. "score!".  But, this is mother nature we are talking about.  When we head out Thursday, a lot of cloud cover temps in the upper 60s, but looks like we'll stay dry.   But, 100 + miles into the trip, it's starting to sprinkle.  We make a decision to press on and eventually after getting a lil damp, we are drying off.  Stop for gas and a bladder break and ....  clouds and looking good.  Radar check, and ... ain't looking good.  So we don our rain gear ... and .. good choice.  With about 30 -40 miles to go, Mother Nature is making us earn it.  Wasn't a 'down pour', but .. we're pretty wet upon arrival.  Rains stops just long enough for us to check in and park the bikes .. then .. it's back.  But, the bar is open! Stump and Double D are downtown several blocks away, realize we're aren't getting wet to head their way so they Uber back to us.  Let the fun begin.....

The Wyndham has a great lobby bar and our bartender (Marla) is still here and remembers us (or at least.... says she does!).  We've got most of the evening to catch up and do some sipping.  Feels good to finally be here, after a year of planning.  Sneak over to Heros (dive bar!) but...um... gotta eat sometime, so we walk on over to the Rib Room when the skies quit dropping rain ....   then back.  Have to admit, I'm a lil beat.   Mama rolls in the next day, then we really kick it up.

Friday is soon here and ....by Noon, Lucy rolls up.  Then the Davis's pull in.  We're all decks on hand!  We are literally across the street from the Rally Central area so, headed over with soft colors.  Immediately run into a 7-3 member I met last year.  Then we're grabbing our VIB stuff we registered with.  This is my third time doing this ($100 bux each) and probably my last.  I just don't see the financial benefits of most of it.  At the races it gets you better seating and entry .. but... that's abut it.  You get preferred seating for the bands playing, but we didn't utilize it this year.  Who knows... I'll probably be an idiot and do it again next year... LOL.  Well, we did have the VIB passes, so the boyz headed to the Race Track in my Jeep so we could all do some sipping and stay dry.  Stump offered to drive but I pushed back as always.  I should have taken him up on it.  Headed to the VIB area inside and out, had a couple of Crowns ..... and had a good time. After an hour of so watching quite a few races, was time to go.   Rolled out and headed North on 112 to Ft Smith.   About half way back, I'm doing about 10 over when I see the PoPo ahead so down shift, but I know he can hear that damned 392 whining. As we pass him, he pulls out following us.   I'm looking at my speed .. rear view mirror.. and ... tires touch the shoulder line.... he lights me up.  I roll down the front windows, but the rear ones are tinted DARK so he's asking me to roll them down; he's a lil surprised to find five bigger guys stuffed in this Jeep.  Me, I'm worried about the 'smell' after we all just had a couple.  Asks me for the drivers license, insurance, etc... and then asks me to head back to his vehicle.  He stays up at my vehicle for a bit, and unknown to me, reaches in , finds a plastic cup with a lil alcohol in it, dumps it out and hands it back.  Now, it's my turn. Asks me to get into the passenger side with him and I'm cringing.  Why?  I was just on a business trip a few weeks ago and we rented a Charger and I don't fit in these things.  I even tell him this as I attempt to get in; it's ugly.  Finally, I've got my body in the damned thing, bumping his laptop and thinking....   crap .. here we go.   Asks me how much I've drank (standard Ops), where we were and .. what was in that cup.  I honestly didn't know but in retrospect was probably mine. Pointed out that'd be a $400 fine if he chose to......   Then, points out he doesn't smell any alcohol on me, and soon releases me.   Yes... I was crapping my pants.  I thought for sure he'd smell something among the 5 of us.   Thought if he gave me a breathalyzer though I was fine.....   I'm thinking since I'd just sipped out of a cup less than 10 minutes, prior..... I'm screwed?   But, we got one of the good ones that night.  He pulled over five of the good ones.  He saw my military plates and asked; told him I was retired USAF as were two of the others . Got to admit.... I shit my pants there for about ten minutes.  So, he sends us on our way, and ......   we're all relieved.  Especially me (do you think!?).   Head back to find the ladies, head out ... ON FOOT ...   to have a lil more fun.... and enjoying the evening :)  I never want to repeat that process again .. js

Saturday morning ....and ... finally .. for the first time... we've got SUNSHINE and lots of warmth.  Few of us mount up, head to the HD dealer about 6 or 7 miles away, and we visit the local CVMA folks.  After an half hour, we leave and visit a true whole in the wall not a mile down the road.  "Whatcha Do All" ... WTF kind of name is that?   We're thinking breakfast, but Bloody Mary's for all will have to do. Then soon roll back to the Rally.....we're hungry!   We'll walk looking around but eventually settle on the Whippoorwill, which has great drinks and food.  In fact, I'm now STUFFED.  We head out, end up at The Majestic for an hour or two ... and .... I feel like shit. I'm beat.  I'm stuffed.  I sneak off for a few hours and get some Zzzzzs... then.... I'm alive!  I find them all hanging out at the coolest place we'll land all week; new joint called "906 Cocktail and Cigar Lounge".  This will be our "GoTo" place next trip to Ft Smith!  As soon as I get there, realizing it's Lucy's turn.  She'll head back to the hotel for a few hours to get her mojo back and will eventually find us at the brewery having great food and listening to live music outside.  The temps are perfect, sky is clear and ... couldn't get enough of this.  Eventually we'll stroll out and work our way through the people and bikes towards our hotels with a few stops along the way.  Eventually though...  all at the Marriott. It's been a great weekend and we are relaxing.

Sunday...  weather looks great so it's hugs and kisses and we're rolling by 0900.  Again, it's just I and the Kennedys rolling home.  Double D and Stump head East.  Lucy is caging back by herself.  Davis' get a later start but they have a short ride home.  We get lucky and stay dry with a few dark clouds along the way.  But, uneventful is the way I like it.  Also, mostly two lanes home.... also the way I like it.

Now... we start the planning for next year!

Marla

Thursday Night - Pre Rally





Motorcycle Trace Races

CVMA setup at the HD dealer



Our Hole in the Wall Saturday Morning

Live Music all weekend

LEOs leading the Saturday Parade

JFD

Daniella had it goin!



Brewery

Brewery

Hotel was packed.. this is just the front entrance

The Boyz



Comments