Rallies.....





What is a Rally anyways?  I mean we’ve all gotten used to the Big Ones …. You know... Sturgis … Daytona Beach … but … when I hear “RALLY” or “BIKE WEEK”... I think of big events.   Obviously, they all aren’t.  This is probably a good overall definition:

A motorcycle rally is a gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts. Rallies can be large or small, and one-time or recurring. Some rallies are ride-in events, whereas some like the Iron Butt Rally involve days of riding and an actual gathering only at the end of the ride.”
 
For me, I think of them as open events, open to all, to promote a brand or cause, or maybe just an event established for the sole purpose of bringing folks on bikes together.   Some remain small, some have grown huge.   Bikes Blues and BBQ is probably a good example of the latter.  In just over a decade, it’s grown into one of the largest in the country, family oriented (no crazy adult antics), and awesome riding.   Others, have remained small such as IRIP in the Branson area.

I have to admit, I like to attend them once in a while, for different reasons.  IRIP (Indian Rally at Indian Point) sucked me in back around 2011, and I attended a few more times after that and enjoyed it immensely.  Its core attendees have changed up over the years, but it remains a small rally and those that attend have a good time, the vast majority rolling in on Indian Motorcycles.  It appears to have peaked in size and stays around 150 folks, give or take 50?  BBBQ in Fayetteville sucked me in back in 2009 and we attended that one for five years. Enjoyed the rides out there, riding with friends, making new friends, but eventually the high costs of lodging and massive crowds pushed us away. As with many rallies, it's brand agnostic ( but mostly HDs). It continues to grow and grow every year; they are obviously doing something right!  There is a small event that occurs in the Texas Hill Country every April for Indian Riders ( there are NUMEROUS events for all bikes , throughout the year here ) that has been going on for about 4 years; it’s leveled off at about 50-75 bikes annually.  Every year, they get new riders and seem to lose some of the old ones.  I’ve got my suspicions on why; hell, chime in if you have the facts as to why?  I do remember one incident that happened a few years back that had me shaking my head.  The promoter of the event had a personal issue with a single individual and went out of his way to ‘uninvite’ that person to the event.  My take on it was, the City of Fredericksburg is ‘public domain’ and there is more than one motel in that city, so press on.  And that, is what the ‘uninvited’ did.   Hell, I did the same thing this past April.  Showed up during the same time to visit with friends that ‘registered’, stayed at a motel literally next door and had a great time and had some great riding. No drama, no BS. I didn't register , just rolled in!  I’ve attended another event up north the last five years.  It’s grown from an ‘event’ that consisted of a ride on Saturday and Sunday, to a publicized “bike week”.   Now, me personally when I think of “Bike Week”... I think of Daytona Beach in March.  I mean, that is one the largest in the country.  Even Sturgis is a week long, and unofficially, more like TWO WEEKS long!  But this event up north, is basically a dealer oriented event that folks meet at the dealer, and do most (all?) rides originating from the dealer and most have the dealer as a final destination.   There are costs associated with each ride, that many including myself have felt were extremely high compared with most events elsewhere in the country.   So I’m scratching my head.. Shouldn’t this just be advertised as a multi-day dealer event?  (Just a thought).  Anyways, I made the decision a few months back as well as many other folks I know, to distance myself from the event. I've had a lot of folks reach out to me with concerns about the costs and couldn't justify them.  After awhile, I couldn't justify it for myself.   I mean, the HD Dealer during the Sturgis Rally in Rapid City is more of a full blown ‘rally’  with hundreds of Vendors on location , the dealership setup to service a LOT of bikes simultaneously, with music and drinks available onsite (cost to ride in?  Zero).   All depends on why one ‘goes’ to the rally is what makes it what it is I guess.   Back to the northern event, funny part to the whole thing is, along the way I received an email uninviting me to an event that I had no intention of attending.   I guess that’s what can happen when personal issues come into play on events that aren’t actually "public" but centered on a dealership’s property and their personal property over a period of days.   

What drew me to these rallies, and many others over the years?   IRIP, was the first time I’d ever heard or seen, of that many Indian brand motorcycles in one location (zero cost to ride in).  Hill Country / TX has the same draw for many (zero cost to ride in).   And this is what drew me initially to the event up north (actually, the only reason).  Back in 2009, I’d just bought my first Indian and there were no events Indian related that I was aware of.  Well, IRIP was in full swing, the unofficial IIRA Reunion annually, but I hadn’t become aware of it yet (IIRA has since moved its event to Durango).  When one initially becomes aware of a large event based around Indians, no doubt it’s what draws many in.  But today, you can find these ‘everywhere.’  The IMRG foremost is growing and chapters have proliferated, allowing many folks to go out and ride with a dozen or two others on Indians. There is an annual JD / Tennessee ride that brings in 200+ bikes every year.   You can get your fix on that one no doubt! Hell, I’m a lifetime IMRG member, and hope to do this one in the near future. Then there are several Indian related riding groups not affiliated with corporate, that one can join.   If you haven’t guessed it from my previous posts, I’m biased towards the Iron Indian Riders Association (IIRA).  The IIRA currently has their second annual Durango reunion coming up, and an event in the Ozarks come late August (“The Gathering”) (zero cost to ride in for both).  And separate chapters have rides throughout the year. Besides the IIRA, there are at least two other groups out there as well, that I’ll leave nameless for now.  I’ve been a member of both, but not a fan of either for personal reasons. Throw into the mix other numerous events not related to specific ‘groups’  such as “Indian – Victory – Slingshot, Rally in the Smokies” and “Durango Rendezvous” and one realizes they can get their fix throughout the country, and more events than they can possibly attend.

Why is this ‘important?”  Well, I guess it isn’t?   Just kidding.   The point is, one can pick and choose among a plethora of events out there, if they are looking for a ‘brand only’ event for Indian Motorcycles.  And that event should meet some type of criteria.  Affordability.  Great Riding.  Distance to travel to/from.  If charity related, overhead of the charity and accountability of funds.    But no matter how one looks at it, there are more events than one can shake a stick at.   If you ride an Indian and get your kicks out of riding with many others on the same bike, you can pick and choose!

That all being said, I’ve done the brand only events.   Been there done it.  I have to admit the first or second time, it does have a cool factor. Now a days, I tend to attend ‘rally’s based on other factors.   Have I been in the area before?  How good is the riding? Are there other friends attending? What ‘group’ is running the event?    I mean, I’m a sucker for IIRA events (its about the people!).  Like I said; I’m biased (and for good reason).  But give me a good location and good group of folks, and I’m in.  And I’m not talking brand specific.  Even though I’ve gotten to dislike the really big events or large rides (you know…100 -500 of your new best friends on a ride and 10% shouldn’t be on a bike to start with), seems every year I find myself in the mix?

Well, Summer 2017 is here.  The Durango Reunion 2017 is about ten days or so away!   The Gathering in the Ozarks is in less than 3 months.  And for those up north in the middle of the August, I’ll also be up there riding with the Northwinds IIRA Chapter, in search of two lane roads with some great folks leading the rides.   The IIRA folks have been welcomed by Bison Thunder Motorcycle  on the Northwest corner of the Twin Cities, so I plan on checking it out.   If you’re like me, I HATE ‘concrete’ .  You know, Interstates, 4+ lanes of traffic.  And Bison Thunder Motorcycle is outside the metro area, which I’m looking forward to (as well as hearing Great things about them).  This will be during the same time frame as a couple of folks are traveling up there to ride in the dealer event, so I’m looking forward to doing some riding with them,  and throwing back a few in the evenings as well.   Just need to find a … Gazebo?


Bison Thunder Motorcycle Dealer




Let the “Rally’s” Begin!

Comments