My Indian goes ______ MPH

About a month ago, with the release of the Stage 3 kit for the TS111s, I wrote about the various optiona: Size Matters.   Size is one thing, speed is another.  Many of us want to go fast.   The new Indians with the 111s are known to be torque monsters, but we're just now starting to get 'go fast' kits.   I've been riding them for over 4 years, and have had mine up to approximately 120mph, via the Speedo.  I verified via GPS up to 100mph, but after that ....  I only know what the speedo reports, and it's a well known fact, they aren't accurate.   I've heard and read that folks have done 125.... 130 .. even .. 135.    BUT.. we have a small problem; the TS111 has a speed limiter set at 118mph.   So, at some point, we have to call Bullshit?

Rob's Dyno out East was the first to crack the code by flashing the ECUs on the bikes instead of piggybacking a tuner on them.  For those of us with Kings Mountain Indians (09-13s), he is the ONLY person I'm aware of that can flash their ECUs!   Back to the 111s, Dynojet came out with the Vision that not only flashes with a new tune, but you can change the REV and SPEED limiters to higher numbers! And this, is currently the 'holy grail' of all the tuners, especially for folks that want to Dyno their bike and fine tune it to the n'th degree!  On a side note, if you buy a Vision, highly recommend you get one from Fuel Moto since they have excellent customer service and will provide tunes to download.

Well, I was on a FB thread conversation on speeds when I lucked out into a conversation with Chet Michaelson!  Indian Motorcycles had set a record out on the flats with a Chief and a Scout.  With the Chief doing over 150mph, I've always wondered... "just how stock was that bike?"    And also "what additional mods were done?" .  Well today, I finally got the answer thanks to Chet!

If interested, here's the record info:   " Indian Motorcycle Hits “Trifecta” With Three New Land Speed Records"


"The Conversation"



Chet Michaelson I hold the M-PG2000 record at El Mirage CA 154.321 in a mile on dirt with my 15 Cheif classic

Rick Kcir :115-120 via limiters.  I've been waiting to hear some 'real' numbers from guys that have flashed their ECUs and removed the limiters, along with a good dyno tune. Stock on my 111' bike .. I can hit 100mph ( GPS verified ) in 4th gear... two more to go .. and ... never got it past 120.. .. but.. I"m also carrying some extra weight on that bike (burp)

Chet Michaelson Ecu limit it 118. And can be done in 5th. 6th is too tall doesn't matter how much you through at it your top speed is 118

Rick Kcir:   Chet .... what's your 'best guess' for top speed w/o the limiter on a Stage 2 bike .. if one removes it via a Power Vision?

Chet Michaelson : At 120mph aerodynamics really start to play a role in top speed at lease what we encountered out in El Mirage. My first run was with. 111ci with what's very similar to stage iii cams with open intake and bump in compression and open exhaust and still running in the factory Cheif chassis configuration. we where seeing numbers in the 124mph. Range before we started making changes to the engine. After some major engine changes we were stuck at 147mph. No matter what we did to the gearing or aeros And all we really did was move the pegs to the back and lower it even more in the front and then we where having some major traction issues do to the amount of tourqe we where making. So we started making our own tread patterns and playing with different tire compounds and also started getting the gear ratio dailed in for the power we where making to get it all all the ground with in the mile. The bike is actually weighs 200lbs lighter than stock to help with acceleration and the weight disturbution was laid out to help with traction advantage.. either way your gonna be locked at 118 unless you can figure out how to bypass the limit. Unfortunately I can't help you there. But it can be done

Rick Kcir : Chet...TRULY...appreciate you taking the time to explain! I've been curious about everything you just went over, since the record was set.
Chet Michaelson : LLOYDZ Motorworks, S&S, and vicbaggers performance parts will bring you the power your looking for

Rick Kcir : Agreed...its a new age. For me at this point, sitting tight with the stage two setup. Waiting to see how all the setups emerge over the next six months. 116, 117, and 121 options. Multiple cams options...Good days are here

Chet Michaelson : 116 is solid, calibration is tip top way better than the 111 and the camdrive and pistion NVH (noise) issues halve been solved however Llyodz did it too and he makes more power and you get new conrods! But you gotta tune it so there's a trade off. 117 HD is garbage I was really unimpressed with the Milwaukee 8 I think it's was a big miss on there behalf but they still dominate in the paint, fit and finish department... It's exciting times for the American V twin world.!


Chet Michaelson Well shit I didn't know about this

Rick Kcir Chet I was aware because the Indian Motorcycle Charlotte folks did that red Chieftain awhile back with a 119 ci.. been following it closely

Chet Michaelson I'm gonna have to read up on this. Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the head work

Rick Kcir Chet ... you're the one that gave us the great info.... ... cheers!

Comments

Eliminate said…
While I know what my 111 can do with stage 2 and PVCX custom tune, it does not mean that I actually want to go that fast. My main concern is two fold, first the tires. These tires simply are not rated for that kind of speed and to have a failure would be catastrophic. Second, the amount of idiot drivers glued to their phones.

Guess I am getting much older and take these things into consideration since if this was me 20 years ago, I would be pushing this bike just to see what it can do.

Great read and really good info. Will be interesting to see if the 116" kit will become the standard stock engine in a few years.