Indian Bike Rally : There's a new Sheriff in Town..... Racine

In the past, I've blogged about an event up in MN that I've attended since '12, that has come crashing down over the last six months..  The imploding of the dealership tied to it due to family ownership legal issues, was the final straw.  That too began in Sept '17.  For most of us, it's common knowledge that there will not be an '18 event.   One only needs to look at the FB Group that historically pushed the event; it's a friggin' ghost town, nobody seems to give a damned about the event anymore; the promoter himself rarely chimes in except to 'like' a non related comment once in awhile. For no better words, it's a joke.   Everything promoting the '18 is incorrect.  It still refers to a defunct dealership.  It incorrectly appears to have ties to Polaris.  It still has a date one week long (who in their right mind would attend dead/dying event for a week?).  It ties itself to the IARG which has ostracized the promoter.  And, of the 3000 people actually in the group, less than 1% appear to be alive and twitching within the group.

But...  the last week it's on fire.  Lot of the ol' guard sheep are chiming in.  It's a flurry of excitement and anticipation . But, I said it was dead?  Well, the MN event pretty much is.  The group is talking about a new event; 350 miles to the East in Racine, Wisconsin.  I'd mentioned last year the IRIP event folks were going to go for 'the record' of most Indian Motorcycles in a Parade but they wussed out back in Oct '17.  I mean, it's not that hard to do.  You roll in 275 + bikes, line 'em up and send them down the road a few miles then back.  You verify the qty via specified means and send it all in and get your new trophy.  Well.. okay .. it's not that simple.  There are some basic logistics issues and you need to verify in such a way that .. you don't screw up the package.   Or, just throw some money at it and bring in the nerd who does the counting and pats you on the back afterwards.  Either way...   the folks in Racine have opted to go for it.  Whether they achieve it or not doesn't matter.  Where the previous dealer failed, they will succeed.   Their timing is brilliant.

This year is the 115th anniversary for HD.  If you take a moment to look at a map, you notice Racine (which I'd never heard of before until last year) sits 25 miles south of Milwaukee.  And we all know...  what that means.  HD Territory.  Instead of beating their chests ..  bumping heads.. ... flipping them off....  they have organized a ride to head up for the event and celebrate with them.  Well, with hundreds of Indians in force of course.  And that in itself, is brilliant.  Then tie to a Guinness record attempt; great marketing.   All this  wrapped in a Rally after the MN dealer fell flat on their face in one of the worst , yet secretive fiascos I've seen since riding Indians ... .. Brilliant.  You've got probably 500 bike owners that spanned the last two rides for the record that are itching to do it again, or want to attend as a public showing of kicking the previous promoter in the balls for the fiasco and aftermath he created.   Hell, as much as I don't really 'care' about this type of ride I'd like to attend just for that reason; it'd put a hell of a simile on my face.  But, I've got a conflict and not an option for me...... this year.

So who the hell is this dealership?   Well what I do know is they are right in 'enemy territory' . Got to take a lot of balls to stand up a dealership in HD Mecca land.  But what I keyed on before I realized their exact location is... they built a bar/restaurant upstairs in the same dealership; how cool is that?   Here in Dallas we have Strokers Dallas and Strokers Ice House; same property / owner, but two separate buildings.   But, you can grab a cold long neck, walk out the front door and 20 feet over is the dealership where you can shop with an ice cold beer in your hands.  Rick Fairless knocked it out of the park with this one.   On a side note, I told the MN dealer years ago he should consider it.  He fought me on the idea and had excuse after excuse why it wouldn't work.   But towards the  'end' I believe he was going down that path potentially.  After an expansion, I believe that was in the works.  Doesn't matter know....  the new owner may or may not implement that.  Either way, it's a huge beni'
for obvious reasons.  Back to Racine, I don't know much about the history of it, how much they sell, how good their service staff is, but I do know they have jumped into the trenches with a a great concept.  The first thing I'd do visiting them is head upstairs for a cold one, enjoy the view and then....  go feast my eyes on some beautiful Indians below.  Brilliant idea.  I'm sure a few other dealerships in the US have done this ( HD , Indian, whatever) .. but I've never been to one.  Strokers is the closest concept I've attended.  I have to admit, Strokers Ice House has a limited menu but when I'm on a bike riding and pull in there, I love a cold beer and a greasy burger.   The Nash appears to have a more robust menu.  A quick look at reviews from summer time last year tells me they stumbled a lil bit with food service but they were new and out the gate; I'm assuming and hoping they fixed that problem. A quick look at YELP tells me .. they might have a management problem upstairs.  Easily fixed?

Well.. the event; the reason for this blog post. The INDIAN BIKE RALLY.  Man I like the sound of that.  It doesn't reek of advertising for the dealership itself.  It doesn't sound pretentious.  Actually, sounds more 'old school' than anything else?  The costs look to be in line with other events/rides around the country with a value tied to it.  I've bitched in the past about the MN event costing too much money for the average Joe.  I've already seen folks out there cheering about the costs of this one.    They also didn't tie it to a charity which I think way too many bike events do.  A charity ride or a charity raffle is okay ... but don't manipulate an entire event around one; they didn't.  I bring this up because I've been so vocal about the MN event doing exactly just that.  The Racine event; just 'feels' right ' to me.  I've heard the area around the dealership has a great vibe to it so it'll be a great staging area?   If they bring in 300+ bikes I'd assume they block
off the entire area?  Who knows; that's why their marketing people make the big bux; let them figure that one out!   The ride that has a LOT of folks talking is the Guinness Record Ride.  I personally think it should be simple to 'break'   I've stated many times that IRIP has had this many bikes before, but they never made it 'official' .   I'd bet the annual IMRG ride in TN has this many?  But .. not officially.   But with the drama the MN event caused this past year and since, I can't help but think folks with clamor to this one and leverage it as a replacement location to continue on the friendships they created over the years at the MN event.   Like I said; I would if I could.

So, the word is quickly getting out.  Folks are clamoring to make their reservations.  Get the time off. I personally think it'll be a success.  It's a no-brainer if they keep themselves 100% separated from the promoter of the MN fiasco.  Yet I find myself snickering.  I can almost see it now; he's probably calling up there offering his services.  I wouldn't put it past him after what I heard last month.  What I heard had me literally laughing my ass off and spilling my morning coffee.   I know.. I know.. you're wondering 'what' did?  All in time.  Hey, maybe he'll offer to produce a film for them.  Trailers and a full production to record the historical event.  What could go wrong?  Half of it dedicated to full motion selfies ?  Rides let by a Subaru?  Nah, they couldn't afford it.  They can't afford to be associated in any way with a failed event.  This time around, it's got the ability be a complete success for all those that attend.  And they have my blessings.  It's a new world out there......


_________________________

The natives are restless


" The more the better. If this will get more people riding the best bike out there I am all for it."
"
"Looks like a great time. May need to try Wisconsin. Never ridden there b4."

"They have a great restaurant/bar"

"Looks interesting!"

"That’s a lot closer and cheaper!"

" I WILL be there. Would LOVE to join you and Treva and BREAK rhe Guinness Record AGAIN!"

" Looking at schedule! Wanna go!"

" The Racine Wisconsin ride looks interesting."

" not a bad ride from Davenport interesting"

" Why not give it a shot I double dog dare them... "

"Good for them. More people riding for a cause is always good. I for one support all that ride no matter what brand or location." ( editor note: what cause.  Once a sheep always a sheep?)

"Records are meant to be broken. Hope 300 looks small"

"Nothing wrong with some friendly competition!"

" I'm in, always looking for another good reason to ride with friends"

" This is at the Racine Indian dealership. Great people so it should be a great time"

"Why not combine forces and do something really special this as a whole is about bringing people together from different walks of life with a same passion.."  ( The sheep is STRONG in this one!  )

" If im free and feel lile riding there while also stopping by to vusit friends in wisconsin and chicago. Then ill be there WEARING MY TWIN CITIES SHIRT!! FTW!!!!"   (Super Sheep. And there will be people wearing Wolf shirts to say FTS!  LOL}

"I will be down there for it!!"
  
    
      








 

Comments

Unknown said…
Rumor is, the Imp is doing everything in his power to discredit this ride...
Eliminate said…
Don’t call him an imp, that insults Tyrion.
RickkciR said…
Sad.... once a sheep always a sheep? Just saw where someone who claims they are done with the previous event and all it's BS .. say "Let's make this GUINNESS 501 "

Well, the '500' was never the 500. The '501' barely made 1/2 that amount. So, why would this be the 501 if 500 was never achieved? If you even assign it a name like this at all, you taint it.

geeezus.. .take off the mask
SaddleSore said…
I’m sure the “Let’s make this the Guinness 501” was a tongue-in-cheek joke, more aimed at someone to get their goat then anything else. Some people can take sarcasm, geeezus..... take off the mask
RickkciR said…
Sarcasm would have been 502? 501 just taints in with the previous mess. Hell, tying it to that name at all ... taints it :(
Indio Slayer said…
Let's see. From what I understand the person who put on the event didn't even come up with the idea of the Guinness thing. it was brought up by someone in the riders group.like most everything that person did, he stole it from someone else. Now because the riders group told him to take a hike he goes and gives the idea that wasn't his "but has taken credit for" to another riders group/dealership. The wife beater, womanizer, burglar and conman. Will be taking credit for the event in Racine also. However only if it succeeds. As you tell his sheep are sneakin and creapin. All over the internet.