International Motorcycle Show

Lone Star Indian / Corporate Presence
 This is about my 4th time attending over the years.  I remember the first time I headed up there, all excited with my 35mm SLR on my hip, and paid the entry fee and got my t-shirt.  The fee was higher than I'd expected and the shirt .. well.. sucked. I didn't' make that mistake again. I never get the shirt / entry combo ticket and I always get the tickets online to save a few bux.   Because once you are in, you're thinking.. okay .. I'm thinking ... 'this is it?' .  Well, I used to.  Over the years its improved.  But some people get a 3 day weekend pass ticket.  I have no idea what they are doing there for more than a few hours, but .. 3 days? Come on now!  But hey ..... someone is dong a good job marketing!

Few months ago my buddy from AR Donnie Donihue reached out to me and told me they were headed this way to attend it  I knew at that point we'd be going to the show again and was looking forward to it.  So yesterday we headed out into the chaotic Dallas traffic system and ...   found ourselves looking for parking upon arrival.  Normally I never have a problem but this year, there are other events at the convention center simultaneously.. so we are forced a few hundred yards away into a gravel lot ....   where they kindly took $10 from me.  Hey .. it's all about the money!

Well, we meet Donnie/Jill/Jordan as we walk in the door and ...   squirrels... I see the liquor/beer stand over in the corner; Bloody Marys!  I order it and and watch him break out a plastic cup that looks like it might hold 8 oz ...   pours in a thimble worth of vodka ... the cheap mix .. and .. touches it up. .. and .. $8.  Wow.. lucky me.   Lets just say .. I'm not getting back in line for another (but .. it was tasty).  Good news is .. I've got a flask in my boot.  'Nuff said.   So I order Lucy a diet coke .. but .. they don't have any. He lists off a group of names of soft drinks .. and I get her an RC Cola.  But, I'm pretty tall so I lean into his bar area looking down.. then .. reach into his cans of soda he's protecting and pull up a Diet Coke, asking him "what this is?"  Oh.... that's for mixed drinks.  He can't sell me that?   You know.. .. if I'd have a few Bloody Marys in me...   he would have.  Because we'd have have some fun waiting for management to resolve it.. but... it was early, I'd had my three morning Javas.. and I was calm.  Besides, Lucy was about to change it up anyways....   she had her own flask. Fuck 'em :)

PyreChief
Right up front was Fireman Dave's PyreChief.  His was the ONLY Indian in the bike show, representing! It was looking good and getting a lot of attention.   Most of the other bikes were big wheels and complete customs. With the crowd doing the voting .. I believe he should pull a trophy on this one... got the fingers crossed!




leather covered
Tyko
There was one company here doing something on the wild side that caught my attention.   They actually cover the bike in leather or some other material. It's not in my future, but .. I had a visual .. a vision .. of what one could do.   I've seen an Indian out there done up sort of similar.  It can be pretty overwhelming..  but.. separates you from the pack!   Cost is somewhere between $4-5k turnkey.  That's about the cost of a full blown custom paint job?
Material covered
 ________________________________________________


As most know, I enjoy most bikes, based on their merits, not their brand.  Below, I took a few pictures of some that tripped my trigger.  There were more than a few 'nice' bikes that just didn't do it for me for several reasons; no pics of them :)   It's funny how I still like the bobber , stripped down look.   Some of the big wheels amaze me, but .. there will never be one in my future, thought I do respect the effort put into them.




















Contest giveaway bike.  Hey .. It could happen!





Comments