Indian in the Hill Country, 2018

Always a "Do I " .... or .. "Don't I?"   This is the fifth year in a row that a weekend has been put together by a guy out of Dallas that used to do this exact thing with Honda's for years.  When he got an Indian, he just 'flipped' the concept over to Indians.  Pick a Hotel, make a few dinner reservations, select a few ride options; advertise it and they will come.  And they do .. sort of

Year one, I was looking forward to attending but we were closing on a property that Friday.  No Go.  But I'm about to get a view into an interesting world of the organizer of this event.  Drama year 1 happens with Adam C. as the victim.  Year 2, I was planning on going with a buddy ( Denny G) that was caught in Drama year 2 , but had to cancel due to the same property I'd closed on the previous year had some storm damage.  Year 3, I didn't give a shit and refused to go.  Year 4, I got a call from Hork,  a buddy of mine who convinced me to head down there so we could ride. He eventually bails out but I'd invited others, so we stayed at Sunset motel next to the 'main' hotel .. .. and we had a friggin blast!   The IOA folks would get caught up in Drama year 4.  This year.. I said F' it.. I'm staying at the main location, will be 'nice' to Mr Sensitive, few buddies couldn't make it, others could ...so ... we're headed down.  Not a 'drama' year for me ..but ..   some funny shit.

In normal fashion, I don't do a damned thing to prepare until I'm within a 24 hour window.  I knew my tires would get me through it ( though my front almost didn't ) and oil is changed; what else matters?  Well, a quick wash of the bike on Tuesday, out to the building to put my rear pack, rain gear, gloves, glasses, etc in a small pile to move to the bike before I leave.   The next morning, I decide to pull out a windshield that I'd purchased and had engraved, and slap it on quickly (hey .. it's just five screws).  But, Houston .. we have a problem. For some reason, this wider shield won't work with my setup.  It's contacting the the mirrors and won't go 'up and down' with out damaging something.  Well, I'm obstinate; we force it on and it's basically 'locked' in one spot.  I've got Dirty Bird 4" riser bars on the Chieftain and they push the mirrors forward ... apparently 'too far'.    I immediately draft up an email and shoot if off to Long Ride Shields for guidance; in the meantime I am riding with it this way; decide I'll worry about it the following week.

Rear pack is mounted up, luggage is in the bags, extra gloves (cold gear) stashed and I'm ready.  Larry and Jim roll up at 0830 hours and we're down the road at 0900 as planned.  Hill Country Spring 2018 is officially on.  As always, we pretty much do nothing but 2 lane roads staying out of traffic.  I never cease to be amazed how beautiful Texas is.  Once we get off our 'known' road' (i.e. Hwy 34 ), we jump on Hwy 77 outside Italy, TX .. and .. my smile broadens.  The sun is out, temps are rising .. and we're in 2 lane heaven for 300 miles. With plenty of time on hour hands, we are doing the speed limit ( okay.. maybe five over), and find a Storm's for a juicy burger.  Only thing missing is a cold beer; but all in time!  Few more miles and we're rolling down Hwy 16 into Fredericksburg and into the Econolodge. It ain't a Motel 6.. but .. ain't much better! Let the fun begin
We're off!
And it does, right away. Last year, the organizer of the get together caught me off guard with a 'bro hug' the last night ( and only time i was around him ) of the weekend.  I wasn't going to let that happen again this year.  Well, we're checking in and who walks in.  As he turns the corner, he's caught completely off guard standing face to face with me.  To keep him at bay, I extend a hand to shake with a quick hello.  Looking back on it, it was funnier than hell.  I know .. I know.. it's my dark side coming out.  But I wasn't there to start shit. I was there to leverage the gathering of folks for my own personal reasons; to simply see and ride with folks I know.  Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't register for the event. I didn't plan on their rides or dinners.  Just staying at the same location to meet up with some of them.   In any case, they are headed to dinner and I get the quick invite with a "guess you'll be riding with your own group" in there.  I tell him "no thanks,"  that he's correct and ...  he quickly leaves.   What I didn't see coming was ..  he'd avoid me the next 4 days.   His wife whom seems nice enough was cordial throughout the weekend, but not our drama boy.  All good; I couldn't have asked for more! Up by my room I meet his side kick whom I say hi to ...  not knowing he'd follow suit and keep distance until Sunday morning when I say goodbye.  Again, funny shit in retrospect.  Have to admit, he ain't what I expected.   Not at all.  We'll just leave it at that...   Anyways, we check in, unpack the bikes and .. it's .. Beer Thirty!  We've off to downtown!  Alan and his GF have come over, Carl and Renee have traveled from St Louis, are checked in ready to go, so we've got a good mix out the gate.  Let the weekend officially begin!

We've been to this place before.  Great service, good location  .. but.. it's Wed nite and quiet.  Last time we were here there was live music. In fact, out back they have a good setup for a small band , on
the weekends.  I didn't realize this so definitely a place to check out next time if the timing is right.   Now the reason I mention this all, beside the ice cold beer and awesome appetizers is ...   just a few minutes in to sitting, a gust of wind knocks an umbrella over and about knocks the crap out of Jim!  He's left with a small gouge on the top of his head that gets us a lot of attention. Well, HIM, a lot of attention!   By the time the smoke clears, we've got their first aid kit at the table, Bonnie is working on Jim's skull with band aids, and the owner has made his way out.  We all leave with new Koozies and Jim... as it should be .. with no tab.   He's just lost a lil skin on his sun burned skull, but otherwise ...  drinking cheap!    Headed back to the motel and we begin what will be a nightly dance of sorts.  We grab our drinks and cigars and take over the corner by our rooms.  Sometimes others are with us, sometimes they beat us to it and we take over after they call it an early night ( which was EVERY night ).  This lil corner will become my go to spot until 1230 am like clockwork.  And it drove more than a few batshit.  We weren't always quiet.  Hey ..we're on Vaca!

First things first.  Last night I got to meet Junior, down from Gregory Polaris. He's been working there for awhile, Stumps son .. and .. Stump has left to work elsewhere (back to his military roots).  Jr' brings an allen wrench, loosens up the bars and we pull them back about an 1"'.  The night before Larry Kea pointed out my bars were max forward, compared to his which are pulled back an inch or two.  His mirrors are in a much diff' position than mine and he points out this is my solution.  It is .  Jr' tightens 'em back up, shield goes up and down again... I'm good.  Traveling down to this area, I've only got two 'rides' on my agenda, based off last year's good times.  Bandera/Luckenbach, and the Sisters.   These are on my 'must do' list. That leaves a third day that is up for discussion.   Well, it's Day One, the weather is beautiful so after a a killer breakfast at the Sunset Grill (our defacto' go to place EVERY morning), we are KSU about 1030 hours and we are headed south on Hwy 16.  We've got a group of about ten bikes with a mix of skill levels, but all are good riders.  Problem is, I like to zip through the corners and push the edge on speed limits.  I'd later get my hand slapped ( rightfully so ) but for now, we're flying. What I didn't realize was when the speed limit dropped to 45, it never picked back up to 65.  So .. I'm hauling ass at 65 through a long stretch and .. well...   we left half the group.  Once we were done leaving  chrome from our floorboards on the blacktop through the twisties, we pulled over ...  two minutes later .. we're a group again and headed down to Bandera!  Total time to Bandera is about an hour; we roll up to the 11th St Cowboy bar.   This place is the real deal; cold beers, great music at night.. and if you time it right .. ( not this time ) , horses tied up outside.   Few cold ones with the crew, pic opps, we're back on the bikes and headed a few miles north for a slice of Mexico, out in the middle of nowhere! Thirty minutes later we
roll up to Tucan Jims.  We stumbled across this place a few years back and it's become one of my fav's.  It's got areas named off locations in Mexico, Hawaii, Caribbean islands.. you name it.   I'd love to be at this place in the evening when they are kicking it up be we are always down here on bikes and bikes are not what you want to be on mixing alcohol, darkness and ... DEER.  So, we always come in when it's quiet .. .but.. I like it that way.  Have to admit; if I lived in the region, this would be one of my go to spots!

Well, after a bite of some good grub and a few cold ones were headed East, with a quick stop in Sisterdale at the Sisterdale Line.   Nice outside area, music playing, setup for big crowds.  But it's Thursday so we've pretty much got the place to ourselves.  I get a guy coming up asking "who has the outlaw bike?" ...  he's referring to my new windshield with its engraving.   I've come to really like the look of that.  Hard to believe I drug my feet on the idea for so long.  But, it's not part of Krome's personality.  Not one to say to long and slam to many, we all have one or two cold ones and .. its  time to head North to Luckenbach; a classic.  It's more touristy than I normally like, but they've always got folks playing music and shade trees were in abundance.   Time to flip from Shiner's to some Mikes Hard drinks...  I jokingly refer to them as girlie drinks, but
damned they taste good!  Now we're scheming about dinner. We're only twenty minutes from home base so we've got plenty of time to kick back and enjoy the afternoon.   I really enjoy this place when they are hosting bike rallies, but today isn't one of those days.  Funny part though is, the tourists are gaping at all the motorcycles .. the riders.... so hey, go with the flow!  Eventually  time to leave.  The plan is ..  German Food. The Auslander is one of the main go tos' for this .. so .. we're off.  I'm not overly hungry so I put together an appetizer plate that I could barely finish .  And it was Good!  After that we're safe and sound at the base camp doing what we'd do every night and one of the reasons I wanted to hang with this group. It's time to break out some Scotch and smoke some stogies.  Perfect. As always, the majority of the main group pulls the plug around 2100 hrs .. sneaking peaks of us through their curtains, time and time again.  Weird .. and .. Funny.


Today's the big day.  Friday is the day for the Three Sisters.  They have a reputation for being some of the best riding in Texas.  Yes and No.  The whole area is great, but only about 30% of the Three Sisters pushes you .   The fact they have so many fatalities over the years is what gives it's reputation in my opinion.  You can get yourself in trouble pretty easily if you come in hot, cross the line with oncoming traffic and .. your tires grab some of the rocks that always seem to be on the edge messing with you .   Still, I like to push hard through the corners then let the stragglers catch up, and we do it again .. and again .. and again.  I've only done these about a half dozen times, but I never get tired of it.   Hwy 16 and Hwy 337 have some awesome turns and switchbacks; love it.  335 and 336 are the icing on the cake but  they have a lot of straightaways.  Still, it's part of the mystique  Gotta do it!   One of the main stops is the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop.  Basically, Burgers (with bike names), cold beer, and ...  swag.  Gotta' get a shirt right?  Sadly, they didn't have any coffee cups.  Can you believe it?  I looked.. I asked.. I frowned.   Oh well.  But, the Dark Modelo beers with limes were good!  Best part of this scenario is you have the choice of heading back out the same way which we do.  Later on, headed down 336 we have a close call.  Scooting along with about nine bikes, I'm in the lead and two large 4x4 pickups with 4 wheelers in their beds, come sliding out of a side road onto 336 and barely get them stopped before we T-boned them.  If he'd slid out another 10' I don't want to think of the carnage they'd have caused.  I had about 1-2 seconds to react, grabbed the other lane with zero oncoming traffic and we rolled past them.  I shook my head.  I'm sure others gave them single finger salutes.  Close one.  Few miles later we are back on to 337 and then to 16.  It's been a cooler day (60s) and overcast but I'm bundled up and enjoying the ride. Ordeal number two.  A Dodge 3/4 ton with lift and about 37'" mudders is rolling down the center of two lanes taking up his and mine, on a collision course.  I'm assuming he's on his phone ( or fucking with us ) .. but...  with about 2 seconds to execute "plan B" .. he
jumps back into his own lane.  WTF?  Two in one day? Two in one hour?  Damned...   Forty minutes or so, we're back .. and .. hungry. Across the street is a Mexican place so it's park the bikes, grab a cold one, decompress .. and .... hoof it across 4 lanes to Margaritas and Tacos... or ... something like that.  One of the best parts of this trip has been the size of our group.   We always have 12 or less at the table so we can actually have a conversation between ALL of us, service is quick and good, and its just..... enjoyable.  Contrast that to going to dinner with 40-60 of your 'new best friends and sitting next to folks you don't care for, slow service, etc.  That ... is why I do what I do here; I simply don't want to be part of the chaos.  Eventually .. the check shows up ... we hoof it back across the street, grab some stogies and ....   solve more problems of the world!  It's another quiet nite in rallyville .. well.. except for us.

We've been watching the weather for days now.  We've had a day or two of rain threatening us; during the night it finally came through (this front would tear up LA and AL the next day with tornadoes, etc).  It's wet, dreary and about 60 deg out there.   The night before we talked about going to Lockhart for BBQ (it's famous for it!).  The group attending their event is cancelling many of their rides or modifying.  The organizer of it had his bike trailered up the night before (wtf?) and the place looks like a death camp.  I'm still hell bent on heading to Lockhart but the radar shows us that ... it's a crappy idea.  Micahel H. recommends heading to Junction, west of us.  He knows a good BBQ place out there
Left the rain behind.
from business trips, so we bundle up to keep warm and dry ( it's still lightly raining) and only 4 of us mount up for the ride.  As soon as we get on 87, Michael grabs some throttle and on wet roads, still raining/misting, we're soon up to 90mph.  Surprisingly, we're all still together and nobody has pussed out; I'm starting to wonder how long we're going to do this and push our luck when.....   the roads dry up, and the rain ceases.  Fifteen more minutes at this speed and I'm bone dry.  Bam!  We pull over to put
Smelled GOOD!
some of the cold/rain weather gear away, temps are now in the 70s and climbing quick and we're back on the road headed to Junction!   Another 45 minutes or so later, at high speeds of course, we arrive at Junction.  It's a small town with that  'desert' feel to it. 
Texas BBQ!
 We pull into a cool local joint that is truly old school.  You order your food, grab your beer(s) out of the cooler and park it where you want.  When you leave, you tell the cashier what you had and pay up.  Trust.  I love it.   I miss these type of places.  This whole day is a spontaneous one.  We have no schedule, no place to be, the temps are now headed into the upper 80s and nothing but sunshine. We ping a few folks and quickly decide our next stop is Rock Springs.  I take the lead this time and we head out, 5 over the speed limit through awesome terrain / roads.  Long sweeping corners, negligible traffic, and an excellent road surface.   We've just topped off the tanks and not a whole lot matters.  We're headed SW.  Rock Springs is a really small town and we find the only place in town on the square, across from the courthouse that serves beer. Well, if it was open. 
The Jailhouse Bar and Grill doesn't open up for another 2 hours.  Our bikes are running and I'm still sitting on mine reading their hours on the front door, contemplating if we should grab a six pack at the gas station we just passed and find a shady tree to relax under when the front door opens.  The
Jailhouse
owner was in his office when he heard our exhaust ( Loud Pipes Save Lives!) and came to check us out.   He's retired Army and knows what to do.  Open!  After a few cold ones, another group of bikes roll in seeing ours and for the owner.. Score!   Well, we've still got some miles to do so after 2 each, we're off and rolling.  But, we believe we've found a great base camp for future rides.  And, this is when I realize there is something called the '3 brothers', another loop paralleling the sisters.  We're already planning for next year! So we're off and headed South on 55 to Camp Wood . This is where we passed through yesterday and we'll grab 337 and backtrack to 16.   Once we hit 337 it feels completely different riding this reversed.  If fact, next time, I'd like to ride the sisters, then after a stop at Frio Canyon, head out and reverse them all. That'd make a full day of riding for sure. Well, we
16/337 junction
head back out but this time we're riding the sisters and Hwy 16 at a much more aggressive pace since it's just the 4 of us.  Carl was busting our balls the last few days about the speeds we ride here; 75mph speed limits on narrow two lane roads.  And we tend to add 5 or 10 to the mix.  Today, we're pushing it and he's loving it; I think we've brainwashed him into high speeds.  Good news is, no one is trying to kill us today so soon we're back at the home base and discussing dinner. Steak is sounding good, but we opt for Italian (1 mile away) so an hour later we're off.   At this point, I've had one drink in me back here and I'm in a good mood. Ray Edwards sees me and starts rambling something to bust my balls, so I decide to leave him a surprise; smoke the rear tire in style as I leave.  Except: FAIL.  I'm sitting there in first gear but when I grabbed the front brake and dropped the clutch I hit the rev limiter.  Damned thing is in neutral!   So, I downshift, hear the 'clunk' and do it again.  Literally.  It's back in neutral! Now, I've also got a dozen or so folks behind me, not fans of our group to start with , and here I sit like an idiot.   But, I've got to finish what I started.  So, again.. downshift .. 'clunk' .. and ...success. Rear tire breaks loose, smoke is rolling , you can smell burning rubber, let the front brake off and for the next 12' I'm off and spinning the rear tire.  Damned; about time!   But, I've lost the moment.  Most people hate that crap anyways and I just made an ass out of myself.  Whoops!   But, damned it was a pretty sight!   Well, few minutes later we're sitting down to an awesome meal with an awesome waitress and the owner is checking on us.   I doubled down on my shrimp/clams pasta meal with lobster pieces; yum. Last night here at the home base.  Few folks have taken over our fav' sitting area so as soon as they wander off to their rooms we take over the corner for one last hurrah.  It's another 0030 hrs morning...    wonder how many we kept up?  Whoops
YES!
Sunday is here. It's party's over for most.  Bikes are getting trailered, the organizer has an empty U-Haul bike trailer behind his lil SUV and off he goes.  No goodbye. No well wishes.  No single finger salute.  Hell, he hasn't looked at me ( eye to eye ) since he shit his pants on Wednesday afternoon when he walked into the Motel office where I was standing.   At least his lil local side kick would sneak a glance in once in awhile.  Me, I found humor in the whole thing.  Was never my intention to stir crap up out the gate, but now I'm enjoying it... watching grown men pretend to ignore you.  At least ol' Ray Edwards and Hal Hunt were forward about it all.  Busting my balls for not riding with them or asking us to
Fried Oysters Eggs Benedict
join them, etc.  But the main guy .. just ... slithered around in silence.   Funny.  Anyways, we're back to the Sunset Grill for one last killer breakfast , say our goodbyes to Michael Gingrich who rode over, Carl and Renee whom are headed back to St Louis and Michael Hansen who'd headed back to San Marco.  Haven't seen Alan/Bonnie since Thursday .. Junior headed back to AR the day before...   now.. it's just the Three Amigos.  We load up the bikes, don our Iron Indian Riders vests .. and .. we're headed west to Buda (South of Austin).

Last year MotoGP out at COTA was a week difference but this year they fell on the same weekend.  I made the decision to extend the trip one day so we could attend on Sunday and head home on Monday.  Buda' isn't that far and actually a cool lil' ( and growing!) town just south of Austin.  We've got some nice rooms at a new Fairfield Inn Marriott, which made the Econolodge look like a shit hole. They gave us an early noon check in, offload our gear, grab a cold Dos Equis Ambar out of my cooler and ... we're headed to the races.  We jump on the tollway 2 miles up the Interstate, get the
bikes up to the 80mph speed limit.. and ...  in 20 minutes we're parking among thousands of every imaginable bike out there. We quickly realize we have a really long walk ahead of us, but they have a tram system ...   ten minutes later we're at the front ticket office pulling out the wallet.  Turns out it's $59 after taxes to get in on a general admission.  So I ask my favorite question; "military discount?" ..  $29 after taxes!  SCORE!  And , they even assigned me a seat ( which I didn't use of course) ..  but, how cool is that?   Kudos to COTA!   Well, we're soon up in the main area and this
track is HUGE.it's spread over a dozen turns and there are over a half dozen stands it seems spread throughout.   A lot of folks have parked their butts in the grass with the GA tickets, so we're debating on what to do. I've already grabbed an ice cold beer; now where to sit.  I spot it.  The Crown Royal club is up ahead ... I wonder.  Score!   We head in and find a comfy couch with TV monitors and a bar. Does it get better than this?   Every once in awhile, we stand up to see the bikes zipping around the tracks, but the TV monitors tell the whole story.  Eventually after the MotoGP is run, 80% of the place empties and we have seats.. grassy area.... the whole place at our beck n' call when the Superbikes roll out and do their 15 laps. All in all , popping our cherry at MotoGP it's a great
Willies
time for me.  I'd do it again in a second.  Soon, we head back to the bikes....   we luck out into a Tram right out the gate and ten minutes later we're on the bikes.   We end up in a long traffic line but not fifteen minutes later we find ourselves on the Tollway doing 80+ mph per hour headed back to Buda ... well..  at Willies Joint for Texas BBQ and cold beers, of course.   Then it's back to the hotel; and I'm beat.  Hot shower, one more beer and .. I'm done.  Zzzzz

Monday, headed back to reality .. We've got a 300 mile / 6 hour journey ahead of us via two lanes back to Grenville.  Temps are 59 as we head out but will climb to 69 by the time we pull in at the house.  All in all, an awesome week.  And for me, there will not be a Year 6.  Okay .. .let me rephrase.  My ass won't be seen at the Econolodge in '19.  Maybe Rock Springs .. or a Bed n' Breakfast in Fredericksburg.  But not the econo dump.  Year 6 ...Never say Never?



Home Sweet home


EDITED 30 APR 18:  Got a text from a buddy of mine earlier today : " Hey Rick, ... *acquaintance* ...    that went down to Fredericksburg and gave me the delusional ramblings of the other side, funny stuff if you have some free time and want to hear it give me a call I'm driving."  After my burnout, apparently the clown running the show headed down to the office to tell them they shouldn't have let my group rent rooms at the motel.  What?  Bahahaha.   Additionally, apparently member(s) of my group were verbally attacking women that were attending. What? Bahahaha..  Pretty sure, this is a twisted variation of one of my guys, telling a wife down there that if her husband opened his mouth again and talked shit like he did last year, he'd be leaving in an ambulance this year.... or.. something like that .. which .. .did.. happen.. and rightfully so.  I'm pretty sure she agreed.






Comments

RickkciR said…
I like the way you think..... reach out to me via email or PM or Text... lets plan it for 2019!